[BBC News] Pupils' ascent to mark 175 years

Newsbot

But we are IN the British Isles.

Strictly speaking, the country we live in is Mann (Gaelg; Mannin), the island we live on is The Isle of Man (Gaelg; Ellan Vannin).

Since 'revestment' the term 'The Isle of Man' has been pushed by the colonial minded, as has the notion that we are a county of England or Scotland, and that we have somehow joined the United Kingdom.

We are not a part of England, or the UK, so if you are going to use term 'The Isle of Man' for the country we live in then you have to use 'in' - constitutional law is clearer than grammar rules.

Strictly speaking, the country we live in is Mann (Gaelg; Mannin), the island we live on is The Isle of Man (Gaelg; Ellan Vannin).

Since 'revestment' the term 'The Isle of Man' has been pushed by the colonial minded, as has the notion that we are a county of England or Scotland, and that we have somehow joined the United Kingdom.

We are not a part of England, or the UK, so if you are going to use term 'The Isle of Man' for the country we live in then you have to use 'in' - constitutional law is clearer than grammar rules.

I live IN a house ON the Isle of Man which is part of the British Isles which is on planet earth

I live IN a house ON the Isle of Man which is part of the British Isles which is on planet earth

I give up. You are on another planet altogether.

I give up. You are on another planet altogether.

I'm sorry for not complying with what you think, if I ever get a labotomy then we will have similar opinions :lol:

Archived