Armed Forces Day

La_Dolce_Vita

I think you need to more specific. What is this security and how was it achieved?

Now you are being silly Lala. You know full well what security means.

Now stop it!

Trade does need security. But it is a security from other nation states who might wish, for example, to attack shipping. But your talk of why Britain got rich is very complicated. You are talking about stability and security in such a vague way - can you be more specific on the history?

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Trade does need security. But it is a security from other nation states who might wish, for example, to attack shipping. But your talk of why Britain got rich is very complicated. You are talking about stability and security in such a vague way - can you be more specific on the history?

You've answered that yourself really.

And no I haven't been vague.

You've answered that yourself really.

And no I haven't been vague.

Well again this goes back to the same matters that Chinahand brought up in his post. I did misunderstand you, I thought you were going to explain HOW Britain became rich and ensured stability in the world in order to faciliate trade and security.

What's this about then: "Yes I'm being very vague but the British Army brought about security in the World. You, me and our ancestors prospered. We're a nation of traders and to trade succesfully you need stability."?

Strange foreign types occasionally hitting each other with sticks.

Cue arrival of John Bull with big metal stick.

John Bull strides about hitting foreign types a bit with his big metal stick.

Foreign types gratefully accept John Bulls benevolent rule of law and give him lots of pretty things they own.

John Bull sells pretty things to other strange foreign types he's already ruling and fills piggy bank.

John Bull occasionally waves big stick to remind foreign types who is in charge.

Here endeth the lesson.

( He also made cracking printing sets )

Strange foreign types occasionally hitting each other with sticks.

John Bull strides about hitting foreign types a bit with his big metal stick.

Foreign types gratefully accept John Bulls benevolent rule of law and give him lots of pretty things they own.

John Bull sells pretty things to other strange foreign types he's already ruling and fills piggy bank.

John Bull occasionally waves big stick to remind foreign types who is in charge.

Here endeth the lesson.

Wow, well done, put in to words that LDV will understand. Are you a history teacher? :D

Strange foreign types occasionally hitting each other with sticks or flourishing very well without interference from British control, fair enough, the Mughal Empire and China were dwindling powers but their people were far from savages

John Bull strides about hitting foreign types a bit with his big metal stick, or the threat of it.

Foreign types gratefully accept John Bulls benevolent rule of law and give don't have much choice but to trade or offer him lots of pretty things they own, viz. their minds, bodies, and resources of the land.

John Bull sells pretty things to other strange foreign types he's already ruling and fills piggy bank the pockets of the traders and well-off sections of British society.

John Bull occasionally waves big stick to remind foreign types who is in charge. And this really demonstrates in one aspect how wonderful the armed forces were. How can we not applaud the suppression of the Indian Mutiny, the Opium Wars, etc.

Here endeth the lesson.

Just some alterations.

You might also remember that in certain places at certain times, some local elements deliberately invited and allied with the British thinking that they would be able to gain influence over their own countrymen by riding with the british.

History is never simple.

The problem with your arguments LDV is you see the world only from a text book, or what you read on wikki or some other website.. The weakness there is that you only see it in parrot fashion, You discuss why WW1 & 2 started and you state why or why not the armed forces should or should not be and yet have never experienced the reasons behind it all.

Have you ever been to a country that you feared for your saftey? Ever been in a war zone? ever experienced Armed Force's Life?

Yet you are on here as the biggest voice against most of the government and government policy in the UK.

Its great having an opinion, yes I have mine as well, but you constantly rubbish others beliefs and reasons behind wanting a Government that is not your neo-anacistic-whatthefookever-idiologistic rule, where we all love each other and live in peace, smoking hemp from a pipe we never stole really as everything belongs to everyone else in your village.

There goes my lesson for the day...lol

The problem with your arguments LDV is you see the world only from a text book, or what you read on wikki or some other website.. The weakness there is that you only see it in parrot fashion, You discuss why WW1 & 2 started and you state why or why not the armed forces should or should not be and yet have never experienced the reasons behind it all.

Have you ever been to a country that you feared for your saftey? Ever been in a war zone? ever experienced Armed Force's Life?

Why do you believe that experience of a particular things is necessary for understanding? Would I have needed to be at Verdun to understand the reasons why France went to war? Would I have needed to be at Anzio to recognise what the war was about? You are being pretty silly, especially to think that someone who joins the Armed Forces has the most worthy viewpoint on the Armed Forces, simply based on his experience. And no man in the Armed Forces has experience it all. What does 'it all' mean anyway?

Yet you are on here as the biggest voice against most of the government and government policy in the UK.

Well I assume that you have opinions on how the Island should be run or disagree with some policies that the government adopts. As you are not in government, does that mean you don't know what you are talking about?

Its great having an opinion, yes I have mine as well, but you constantly rubbish others beliefs and reasons behind wanting a Government that is not your neo-anacistic-whatthefookever-idiologistic rule, where we all love each other and live in peace, smoking hemp from a pipe we never stole really as everything belongs to everyone else in your village.

There goes my lesson for the day...lol

I rubbish other people beliefs? It is a forum and everyone else does the same.

But I am not a fucking hippy and I am not a pacifist. And you've probably smoked more weed than I have.

Having a theoretic or reflective view based on text is wholey different to having an emotional understanding of the subject matter based on direct influence or life experience. This has been put accross in various ways to you LDV but its often replied with a wall of meaningless guff and often includes another question which deflects from the point. I often read the comments back if i am in need of a laugh to myself, but you have your views and thats your right.

Having a theoretic or reflective view based on text is wholey different to having an emotional understanding of the subject matter based on direct influence or life experience. This has been put accross in various ways to you LDV but its often replied with a wall of meaningless guff and often includes another question which deflects from the point. I often read the comments back if i am in need of a laugh to myself, but you have your views and thats your right.

I don't deny there is a difference between an emotional understanding based on life experience in the Armed Forces. Why is it JustJohn and yourself are even discussing the life experience of people in the military? Is it part of some silly idea that only a person in the military can truly understand matters to do with the military, no matter what they are? It is a moronic idea and not even relevant to what is being discussed.

However, if you want to insist on arguing that only military men understand the Armed Forces, then let's turn this around and criticise the complete the supposed boneheads who support an institution and what it does without actually being capable of understanding it fully. For that matter, what the hell are politicians doing determining what the military does?

Strange how you find this all so funny. Though I don't really believe it, it could make someone think that you actually do have a better understanding of the political background of this thread or that your experience makes you understand this is all far better than I do. If so, I am waiting for you to demonstrate it.

if you think the simple fact of your service means you understand this all better than a civilian then I wonder whether you know much at all.

Tempted to say you know nothing about military life but I cant be arsed wasting energy on it to be honest. We have been over this and it seems that you are the only one that agrees with your statement, would a historian make a good military commander? he may have read alot on battle and what is involved, but when it came down to it they know piss all about conducting or experiencing the day to day challenges first hand. Same can be applied to lots of jobs that cant simply be done based on what they read about it.

if you think the simple fact of your service means you understand this all better than a civilian then I wonder whether you know much at all.

Tempted to say you know nothing about military life but I cant be arsed wasting energy on it to be honest.

I don't know much about military LIFE, why is it relevant to this?

No you are quite right, this has nothing to do with military life, just a thread that you started about supporting the troops.

Exactly, in recognising what support actually means.

We have been over this and it seems that you are the only one that agrees with your statement, would a historian make a good military commander?

Not necessarily. But then the military commander is directed by political direction from above. You seem to be of the opinion that the military is a master of itself and only understands itself.

Archived