Armed Forces Day

La_Dolce_Vita

I cannot completely dismiss LDVs suggestion that in part, the concept of an Armed Forces day may be linked to perceived political advantage.

Nu Labour in this case but a few weeks ago, when the Gurkha residence debate was going on and a favourable result was achieved, Gormless Dave Crapon and his sidekick were actively trying to get in camera shot whilst Joanna Lumley was waving that kukri about. He may well have supported that campaign but he was certainly going to milk it on a broader issue.

To that extent, LDV does, in my personal opinion have a point.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I cannot completely dismiss LDVs suggestion that in part, the concept of an Armed Forces day may be linked to perceived political advantage.

Nu Labour in this case but a few weeks ago, when the Gurkha residence debate was going on and a favourable result was achieved, Gormless Dave Crapon and his sidekick were actively trying to get in camera shot whilst Joanna Lumley was waving that kukri about. He may well have supported that campaign but he was certainly going to milk it on a broader issue.

To that extent, LDV does, in my personal opinion have a point.

Were they really? Hardly surprised, the Labour Party has enough scumbags in it.

But I wasn't indicating that this Day is adopted for political advantage to keep Labour in power.

This is just an understandable response of government. Governments, whether autocratic or liberal, seek to control the public. Undoubtedly for many, the Iraq War has led people to question their patriotism in recognising that Britain is not some benevolent country in its international dealings. This, I think, has led to a reduction in the blind support for the military. This equates to a loss of support for government (any government). And the government isn't going to stand by and allow this. So it just pumps out more patriotic and liberal propaganda.

Unfortunately, this Labour government is very keen on manipulating people's minds with patriotic 'information'. As you may remember a year or two, Gordon Brown was talking about trying to instill more feeling in the population towards Britishness in having a 'Britishness Day' amongst other things. But patriotism is comprised of support for the state - that's the point.

I think a lot of this patriotic stuff seems to be pinched from what the US government uses. What do you think?

Ex-forces myself, I agree with the views that this is really all about gaining government support to hide piss poor foreign policies. Despite being offered an invite - I refused to attend the last AFD. Feels like even more exploitation of the forces to me.

NuShite - and especially Tony Bliar - have much to answer for on their treatment and abuse of the British Forces over the past 10 years. Blair should be put on trial alongside Bush over the Iraq war and all the lies that dragged us into it, let alone the resulting loss of civil liberties in the UK and now the island.

I just feel the day is being overshadowed by the politics behind it all....

I just want to accept the day as a thankyou to all the armed forces personell, irrespective of pollitical slavery or oil rights or any other subject that gets dragged into the equation.

I just want to accept the day as a thankyou to all the armed forces personell, irrespective of pollitical slavery or oil rights or any other subject that gets dragged into the equation.

Then you completely ignore what the Armed Forces and what the Day is about.

Why do you want to say 'thank you'?

Vote/Dont vote in elections to oust people if you feel the UK Government is not performing. This is not a direct relation to supporting the troops who carry out the jobs given to them by said government. The majority of the armed forces dont give a shit about the government policies and i dare say alot will agree that the government have made alot managment cock ups where the forces are concerned. This should not overshadow the day in hand which is not support labour day, this is support the troops day.

Vote/Dont vote in elections to oust people if you feel the UK Government is not performing. This is not a direct relation to supporting the troops who carry out the jobs given to them by said government. The majority of the armed forces dont give a shit about the government policies and i dare say alot will agree that the government have made alot managment cock ups where the forces are concerned. This should not overshadow the day in hand which is not support labour day, this is support the troops day.

This isn't just about the troops though, you can't detach the support for troops from what they do. Read the website.

I kinda feel like we keep going round in circles, so it is better to understand your thoughts first. What do you mean by support and why should we support the troops?

Then you completely ignore what the Armed Forces and what the Day is about.

Why do you want to say 'thank you'?

FFS LDV, can you just let me have my own opinion on it, i will not question every bloomin political drivel you spout on most threads..

Its a thankyou to a group of people that put their own lives at risk on a dailey bases in enviroments that are harsh and un-forgiving...

yes other emergency personell do this as well, but they happen to go to their homes most nights etc..

Actually, if we had a thankyou day to Firemen, would you spout political anarchism about some aspect of their roles in a society that you dont seem to actually excist in.

FFS LDV, can you just let me have my own opinion on it, i will not question every bloomin political drivel you spout on most threads..

Its a thankyou to a group of people that put their own lives at risk on a dailey bases in enviroments that are harsh and un-forgiving...

Ok so you feel thankful for those who just work very very hard. Nothing wrong with that.

You have your opinion, I can't take that away.

Actually, if we had a thankyou day to Firemen, would you spout political anarchism about some aspect of their roles in a society that you dont seem to actually excist in.

Why would I, putting out fires and treating disease is not political. However, I have a go about the police. Their situation is very similar to that of that of servicemen.

It is just about the troops.

Exactly, LDV its just about the troops.

Here are some excerpts:

"how you can celebrate Armed Forces Day in support of our nation’s Armed Forces – past, present and future."

"Raising awareness of the past and continuing contributions of the Armed Forces "

"Picture Your Hero competition"

"Raise a flag "

These phrases indicate that this is not just about troops who work very hard, but about what they do - past and present, and also supporting what they are - part of the British state.

I think it would have been better to leave it as Veterans Day rather than Armed Forces Day. It would then have been more of a day to commemorate the people/veterans who put their lives on the line for us, rather than a PR vehicle for the Government.

I think the services are a special case - as somebody has said most of the other emergency services do get to go home at night and don't (hopefully) regularly get shot at or blown up!

I think the services are a special case - as somebody has said most of the other emergency services do get to go home at night and don't (hopefully) regularly get shot at or blown up!

Though it is up to the people who consider to join the forces whether they want to be blown up or not. The only reason why people think it is commendable and honourable is because they are misled to think it is all for a worthy cause.

Archived