[BBC News] TT entertainment shows defended

Newsbot

Also, the Minister of teh fun has not been at DTL for a good few years now.

Whilst the lack of 'buzz' was certainly a factor, I believe it was more of a loss for the locals than visitors to the TT. And, of course, for people who focus on Douglas.

If you seek the views of 'bike' fans they seem to be falling over themselves to compliment on the actual meat and drink, being the racing programme. Also, they say how busy / good Peel, Ramsey, Port Erin et al were this year.

Overhwelmingly they state their intention to return. The Government, therefore, has an oportunity to find the right 'blend' for next year. Personally, I would like to see a mix of organised events on the Prom (stunts / mini-motos etc), big screen mixed with an opporutnity for the odd donut / wheelie policed moderatley as in previous years.

I can't believe that a big screen outside Bushy's is going to cost more than bringing over a load of bands and putting the villa on high security

Yeah, the big screen thing is stupid, I agree with that.

Also, the Minister of teh fun has not been at DTL for a good few years now.

Whilst the lack of 'buzz' was certainly a factor, I believe it was more of a loss for the locals than visitors to the TT. And, of course, for people who focus on Douglas.

If you seek the views of 'bike' fans they seem to be falling over themselves to compliment on the actual meat and drink, being the racing programme. Also, they say how busy / good Peel, Ramsey, Port Erin et al were this year.

Overhwelmingly they state their intention to return. The Government, therefore, has an oportunity to find the right 'blend' for next year. Personally, I would like to see a mix of organised events on the Prom (stunts / mini-motos etc), big screen mixed with an opporutnity for the odd donut / wheelie policed moderatley as in previous years.

While most of your post is pretty spot on I have to disagree with Peel day being either busy or good, it was utter shite when I went down at the height of the festivities. Especially compared to any of the by gone days of Honda Day, fucking Minister of Fun pissing off Honda twat.

It seems most of the whingers are local, based in Douglas and are not particular race fans.

About the mid 90s' a TT Ride and Phantom Jet (or whatever) Simulator was brought onto the Promenade and then a bungie jump. That was all well and good and the promenade entertainment up to this point was simply being part of a crowd and watching any impromptu stunts including the beginnings of the Purple Helmets performing as they rode along the Promenade.

It has only been the past 10 years or so that free Douglas Promenade 'entertainment' has been laid on. Up until the time when the road was closed at Bushy's there were just the usual bands at the Villa Marina . . . . Summerland . . . . Lido etc.

Pubs put on their own entertainment including the Pit Stop for the week (now Colours, formerly Toffs etc). There was also the Bike Shed entertainment at the Hilton.

The Castle Mona, The Imperial (Imps) and others put on their entertainment too.

The funfair was brought over and it was decided to bring it down from Nobles Park onto the Promenade although it was tried at the Summerland end and the old bus terminal car park.

The laying on of entertainment at the Promenade was great but it was the start of a ratchet effect that our perhaps short sighted Department of Tourism and Leisure could see no way of getting out of. So they went back to square one (no free entertainment) and most folk couldn't handle it.

Fortunately the racing was excellent this year, the weather was also mostly sunny and this made the likes of Laxey Bike Show very enjoyable and memorable.

My only comment would be that to appease the locals, bring back the Funfair (crèche facility/Blue WKD party) but take it off the Promenade and put it over at Summerland/Nobles Park/Bowl or wherever - but no where near Douglas Promenade.

Speaking as someone who marshal's for the TT and lives in Ramsey.... for Theo's benefit...

The fact is that the beer tent and prom experiences were born from a reaction to what people were naturally doing anyway - the best way to form entertainment, just improve upon what people (bikers and locals) were already doing and enjoying. Why force them away from that into some penned area?

The prom may well have been getting stale but why just remove it? Surely it's easier to modify the activities and entertainment around a successful core venue and idea.

A return to the beer tent with a big screen showing duke videos and a mixture of bikes and other street entertainment would be easy to achieve. Variety rather than 5 nights of Russ Swift.

Archived