Bay Festival

bluemonday

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The X Factor gig is really a good family variety show and I am half tempted to take the sprogs; Stavros Flatley and Diversity would suit us fine. But I agree with all the comments above, it isn't really breathtaking stuff. If I do the X Factor thing, I would not really be inclined to spend much more to see the other gigs, unless there was a really major, major (albeit now slightly eclipsed) act.

Don't be too sceptical about 'has-been' acts because two of the best performances I have ever seen were here on the IOM in the late 70's/early 80s. The first was George Melly in one of the side rooms at the Villa probably around 1975 and the other was PJ Proby at the Douglas Head around 1980. George Melly was fantastically dissolute and PJ Proby was woefully late, but when he arrived (coming hot from the Rosemount), what a performance! These were both very intimate venues and that probably did much to enhance the performances; both were fantastic and unforgettable.

The X Factor gig is really a good family variety show and I am half tempted to take the sprogs; Stavros Flatley and Diversity would suit us fine. But I agree with all the comments above, it isn't really breathtaking stuff. If I do the X Factor thing, I would not really be inclined to spend much more to see the other gigs, unless there was a really major, major (albeit now slightly eclipsed) act.

Don't be too sceptical about 'has-been' acts because two of the best performances I have ever seen were here on the IOM in the late 70's/early 80s. The first was George Melly in one of the side rooms at the Villa probably around 1975 and the other was PJ Proby at the Douglas Head around 1980. George Melly was fantastically dissolute and PJ Proby was woefully late, but when he arrived (coming hot from the Rosemount), what a performance! These were both very intimate venues and that probably did much to enhance the performances; both were fantastic and unforgettable.

It's Fathers day!!!

If my kids give me a ticket for this shite I will kill them both :angry: !!!!

pretenious, arrogant dick - fuck pumping out your poisonous bile dictating fuck fascist.

utter prick. Ahhhhhhhh - I must see my therapist, such outbursts are not good for my blood pressure, and I'm totally fucking nuts.

:lol: I was just saying but, you sir have absolutely no place to be so rude.....However, you clearly love this 'festival' and maybe hundreds of other people like you will like it too - yeah just imagine the atmosphere, dire.

About the government funding, I was just supposing this one was getting some and thought the cash could be better placed. The government are far too handy at giving money away already.

:lol: I was just saying but, you sir have absolutely no place to be so rude.....However, you clearly love this 'festival' and maybe hundreds of other people like you will like it too - yeah just imagine the atmosphere, dire.

About the government funding, I was just supposing this one was getting some and thought the cash could be better placed. The government are far too handy at giving money away already.

I wish you'd stop being so precious about what a festival is. It's simply a series of events, it doesn't have to be a Glastonbury clone to be a festival.

pretenious, arrogant dick - fuck pumping out your poisonous bile dictating fuck fascist.

utter prick. Ahhhhhhhh - I must see my therapist, such outbursts are not good for my blood pressure, and I'm totally fucking nuts.

I have as much right to call you an arrogant prick as you have to dictate who can and can't organise a fucking party in a field, you twat. I couldn't give a flying shit about some pop music in a tent, at all, but I'd be interested to know what qualifies you as such an expert on what constitutes a festival - where do you stand on the issue of Harvest Festivals, for example? Should churches be banned from using the phrase because four long-haired, 20-year-old, middle-class university drop outs aren't standing on a stage while thousands of people pay hundreds of pounds to stand in mud barely able to see the stage, not hear the so-called 'music'.

I wish everyone would just stop whinging and complaining. Music is very subjective, not everyone likes what everyone else likes.

They’ve given one day’s entertainment and everyone is having a go! FFS.

If it’s not your cup of tea then don’t go? Simple. No need to make yourself feel like a big person and slag it off. All those that have complained should have the rest of us go round their houses and go through their music collections and complain bitterly about their choices.

People complain there is nothing over here, someone does something and they complain it’s the wrong thing, or done wrong.

I’m something like 5th generation Manx but even I despair at the amount of whingers there are over here.

Why oh why do people feel the need to complain when it doesn’t affect them personally? I’m not a fan of the Kaiser Chiefs or Bryan Adams but I didn’t feel the need to email someone.

Christ! I’ve just realised I’m whinging and about the whingers… it’s contagious!

I agree with the "if you dont like it then dont go" but has to be said what a crap line up for a lot of money.

Am i right to say Mr irving is into to property building and if so should stick to it,cus he cant organise a decent festival!

Living in one of his properties he's not that great at his day job either.

Very poor level of finish, method of construction suitable but not thought out for long-term habitation, general lack of thought in layout ect.

I agree with the "if you dont like it then dont go" but has to be said what a crap line up for a lot of money.

Am i right to say Mr irving is into to property building and if so should stick to it,cus he cant organise a decent festival!

See you can't help yourself! It's a crap line up to YOU, my wife and kids thought it was great and a few people from work think it's great. Why oh why do you feel the need to slag it off? Does it make you feel big? does it compensate for your little todger?

And why have a go at Mr Irving? It appears he can't organise a festival that is to YOUR liking. Why don't you organise next years and I'll sit back and see how many people complain...

I dispair I really do..

:sheep: If there was one 'alright' thing about the whole charade, I might not be so negative towards it. The 80's circus has been doing the circuit since ...the 1920's, x-factor losers? didn't know there was any kind of other x-factor person.

Music is something I am unreasonable about, most things, you can change my mind with a decent different opinion, music is not like that, I will not compromise but am passionate about the music I love.

Slim, for me, each festival has its own identity, Glastonbury brings huge acts, small acts & new acts along side of all manner of 'other things' it is a HUGE festi, I remember being well shocked at the size of the place first time I went, how was it for you? I do not expect Glastonbury everytime I goto a festi, I goto quite a few though, they are hand picked for suiting me, my friends and our families. I do not like V, I've had a few laughs at V, saw Kylie & Ian Brown sing the same song twice but its a bit nannied, with the beer tokens and no noise after 12 policy. I think this Bay festval will be utter shite but am sure the flies & pigs will love it :) muwah

See you can't help yourself! It's a crap line up to YOU, my wife and kids thought it was great and a few people from work think it's great. Why oh why do you feel the need to slag it off? Does it make you feel big? does it compensate for your little todger?

And why have a go at Mr Irving? It appears he can't organise a festival that is to YOUR liking. Why don't you organise next years and I'll sit back and see how many people complain...

I dispair I really do..

I partially agree, my wife was pretty chuffed with the lineup and is already booked, thankfully with her mates and not me!

The reason the organisers are justifiably critisised in my book is down to the loud and very public bleating about demands for support from the government. Fair play to him for putting this thing on, and if it's not to everyone's taste, tough. But to demand public funds to support it, forget that!

:sheep: If there was one 'alright' thing about the whole charade, I might not be so negative towards it. The 80's circus has been doing the circuit since ...the 1920's, x-factor losers? didn't know there was any kind of other x-factor person.

That's just music snobbery. The x-factor is entertainment, and while it's not my cuppa, it does entertain millions and is very successful.

Slim, for me, each festival has its own identity, Glastonbury brings huge acts, small acts & new acts along side of all manner of 'other things' it is a HUGE festi, I remember being well shocked at the size of the place first time I went, how was it for you? I do not expect Glastonbury everytime I goto a festi, I goto quite a few though, they are hand picked for suiting me, my friends and our families. I do not like V, I've had a few laughs at V, saw Kylie & Ian Brown sing the same song twice but its a bit nannied, with the beer tokens and no noise after 12 policy. I think this Bay festval will be utter shite but am sure the flies & pigs will love it :) muwah

A festival is just a series of events. You can have food festivals, there's an annual manx music festival for classical music and there's harvest festivals. You seem to be stuck on your definition because that's what you were expecting. Don't slag it off because it's not what you, personally, were expecting. Nobody promoted this as a muddy field camping experience.

its not something i would go to and i certinaly woulnt pay £40 for a ticket. but i can see how it might be for some. if they wan to pay for it, let them. as long as this costs me as a taxpayer not one penny then let him get on with it. i do think he gets more a hard on over the tent than he does over the acts - why not use the facilities we already have (villa etc) and stick the money saved into getting quality acts on or simply getting more acts / second stage etc. first thing i'd do is stick 5 grand to one side and book every local band with a following of more than 25 people to fill out the schedule so you guarantee some footfall before you have the main acts. then i'd get another 10 grand and go and scoop up some of the best acts doing the circuit in the north of england. then, go and book a 90s indie band - wonderstuff or something like that - who have a hardcore following but who only ever play around London. then spend the rest on one BIG headline and a couple of up and comings / just goings.

now you've got a music festival.

Archived