Bay Festival

bluemonday

That's just music snobbery. The x-factor is entertainment, and while it's not my cuppa, it does entertain millions and is very successful. Shane Ward won it too, I think?

A festival is just a series of events. You can have food festivals, there's an annual manx music festival for classical music and there's harvest festivals. You seem to be stuck on your definition because that's what you were expecting. Don't slag it off because it's not what you, personally, were expecting. Nobody promoted this as a muddy field camping experience.

Feck me, I admit I do not compromise over music state that, I AM unreasonable about music and you are still trying to tell me shit? yatter yatter yatter. I didn't camp at Mannifest, nor V97, nor Peelstock, Willstock - who said anything about that?

Splitting the audience into VIP's & grunts is one thing but, having 2 'premium' ticket options, whats that all about? Sitting down to music is great when that is what is required of the music but mostly I like to dance to 'pop' music which is a bit difficult when you are sat down.

Censorship, you need to give your head a shake and wash your mouth out with Fairy-up liquid. You are funny though, in a Rumplestiltskin kind of way, a funny little man.

heehee I am quite enjoying this thread, the forum has been a lot dull recently.

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

kingsteriom I can see your point but you have to understand the disappointment that this announcement has been for many people. The fault lies directly with the promoter. They have had a very public and high profile campaign promising many wonderful things. These include something unique and acts better than the Peel bay festival. Now the other two nights may be really good but so far the acts announced are not better than the major acts from last time, nor are they particularity unique to the island (as already pointed out the 80's thing was done much better 7 years ago).

Now this all could be down to very stupid PR by announcing the least exciting acts first. Or it may be down to very stupid PR by over egging the pudding building everyones expectations up way to high. So you see, while the current acts are perfectly good and will appeal to a certain audience they are not what was advertised.

To state this is not moaning. Nor is it moaning to debate the pricing for such acts or the layout of the venue. It is not moaning to debate what constitutes a festival (which again this has been marketed as), or to compare it to other events (with is inevitable). People have a right to their own opinions, and while some have been rather over vociferous here they do have some valid points. A lot of the negativity regarding the level of entertainment on this island is not borne by people who love to moan, but by people frustrated by the overall lack of quality, amount, and price of what we get.

The reason the organisers are justifiably critisised in my book is down to the loud and very public bleating about demands for support from the government. Fair play to him for putting this thing on, and if it's not to everyone's taste, tough. But to demand public funds to support it, forget that!

On the other hand lots of things get supported by govt which not everyone appreciates.

So how do you decide ? Personally I think that is why there is some merit in saying that something like this should be a more organic event - ie something which begins small and builds over time if it works. Like the successful festivals elsewhere (arts, literature, music, pop music).

On the other hand lots of things get supported by govt which not everyone appreciates.

So how do you decide ? Personally I think that is why there is some merit in saying that something like this should be a more organic event - ie something which begins small and builds over time if it works. Like the successful festivals elsewhere (arts, literature, music, pop music).

Oh I know, the Arts Council and Dept of Tourism (used to!) provide assistance to events, and he was in his rights to apply for help. If it was started smaller and built up, arts council support would be more justified. Otherwise, this is simply a commercial event and he should take the risks, in my view.

I think the root of the problem here is that the promoters have been building unrealistic expectations for the festival by comparing it to Glastonbury. IMO that is a completely different beast and people were disappointed by the line-up (so-far) because they were expecting a Glastonbury-style line-up.

The festival seems to more comparable to the Liverpool Summer Pops festival. More 'mainstream' style acts, one marquee, one act playing at a time to a (mostly) seated audience. However Summer Pops tickets were AFAIK in the region of £25 a head, not £40, which seems hard to justify, especially as the acts so far announced are not even in the same league as the (IMO mostly second-rate) acts that make up the majority of the Summer Pops Line-up.

People were hoping for something like Coldplay, The Prodigy, Echo And The Bunnymen etc and have been given a load of reality TV rejects and a Butlins-stylee nostalgia show (and possibly bloody Boyzone FFS!!!), and ticket prices are about 30% more than you'd pay in the UK for similar (or superior) fare.

If this lot were playing in my back garden, I'd close the curtains (except when Stavros Flatley were on). They'll have to pull something rather more interesting out of the hat for the other two nights to reignite my interest (and, I would guess, a lot of other peoples').

By calling it a festival they are implying, I think, that this is a community event or even an event which is about community. Isn't that part of what the word means ?

I think we are mostly agreeing that this is no more a community event than, say, watching X Factor in a pub or going to the cinema.

In which case why not underwrite struggling pubs?

I think we are mostly agreeing that this is no more a community event than, say, watching X Factor in a pub or going to the cinema.

Nope - a concert is more than that, or should be when done properly

Agreed. But a concert is not a festival necessarily. A series of concerts are not a festival necessarily. Calling something a festival implies something to do with community.

Agreed. But a concert is not a festival necessarily. A series of concerts are not a festival necessarily. Calling something a festival implies something to do with community.

Not necessarily - there are lots of music festivals, only some of which involve anything to do with a community and relatively few of which involve people sitting in muddy tents (and mercifully few of which involve Boyzone and Rick Astley).

The proof will be in the ticket sales and I suspect that while Sunday might not be everyone’s cup of tea it will do reasonably well. I applaud the efforts made by Mr I but I stand by my original comments that I’d rather force drawing pins into my eyes than hand over cash to watch any of the acts announced but then that' music. What some hate others adore.

I do feel because this festival is just essentially series of staged outdoor events over several days and the over-hyped marketing people have had expectations raised and without anything other than one music stage there is absolute focus on the line-up.

I would have opted for a more traditional festival with a couple of music stages, a dance tent, stalls, food, bars etc. Perhaps even bring the fair into the set-up. I also agree with the comments in this thread a festival is far better off starting out small and growing and evolving naturally. If you look at the corpses of medium to large festivals that have gone belly-up in recent years there is a definite trend.

Personally, I don’t feel the event deserves any sort of subsidy as a simple series of staged outdoor concerts. Based on the line-up there are other promoters on the Island who are bringing over acts with far bigger pull and have to contend with the limited capacity and facilities on offer. Why shouldn’t they be given a subsidy?

:sheep: If there was one 'alright' thing about the whole charade, I might not be so negative towards it. The 80's circus has been doing the circuit since ...the 1920's, x-factor losers? didn't know there was any kind of other x-factor person.

That's just music snobbery. The x-factor is entertainment, and while it's not my cuppa, it does entertain millions and is very successful.

Slim, for me, each festival has its own identity, Glastonbury brings huge acts, small acts & new acts along side of all manner of 'other things' it is a HUGE festi, I remember being well shocked at the size of the place first time I went, how was it for you? I do not expect Glastonbury everytime I goto a festi, I goto quite a few though, they are hand picked for suiting me, my friends and our families. I do not like V, I've had a few laughs at V, saw Kylie & Ian Brown sing the same song twice but its a bit nannied, with the beer tokens and no noise after 12 policy. I think this Bay festval will be utter shite but am sure the flies & pigs will love it :) muwah

A festival is just a series of events. You can have food festivals, there's an annual manx music festival for classical music and there's harvest festivals. You seem to be stuck on your definition because that's what you were expecting. Don't slag it off because it's not what you, personally, were expecting. Nobody promoted this as a muddy field camping experience.

but people are going to compare it to glastonbury if he keeps bagning on in his advert how glastonbury sold out in 24 hours, and so get your tickets now.. <_<

First post on the Forum (hello).

As I see the summaries above it's generally; fair play to the fella for getting of his ass and doing something (anything!), but the hype up to the announcement combined with the memory of the couple of big-hitters from the Peel do leave a sense of overall disappointment.

Honestly, this business of 'who would you like to see' when registering - how many responses did they get for Boy George or Rick Astley (and X-Factor 'stars' no one had then heard off)? All piss and wind that bit then..

My view; I no longer live on Gem of God's earth (now abroad) but had tentatively booked the days of work in order to have a jolly back when the 'fest' was on. Since released the days from the calandar..

Archived