Bay Festival

bluemonday

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have a solution for all you lot taking time to come on here and moan......DON'T GO TO IT- simples!

now stop winging and find something better to do...

Newsflash, this is a discussion forum. It's here to discuss stuff. That's how it works. If you don't like winging, find something better to do :)

I wonder how many people shared the 'guess the line-up' competition jackpot?

I tried to think of another band quite like The Who but they are basically in a niche of their own. I dismissed Spandau Ballet and Duran Duran on the basis that they lack even any pretence of credibility so would fail on the denim / dad rock scale.

Then Roxanne said it would definitely them. So she wins.

From the "blog"....

"We are also close to finalising the Saturday night with hopefully an excellent ‘indie/rock’ band. Watch this space!"

So much build up....so little delivery.

Oh well, I am sure they will "sell" enough tickets to make it appear a success....just dont come asking for the tax payer to bail you out if it doesnt.

Doesn't he go out in the rain? Should buy a shirt.

I'm beginning to have a sneaking admiration for the Irvings's chutzpa. I've been going to festivals for 20 years and never have I heard of one where row upon row of champagne quoffing high rollers and prawn butty munching VIPs separating the band from the fans (if it's Primal Scream I'll go just to watch Bobby Gillespie's reaction to that). But the Irvings know better.

And I've been going to Indie gigs even longer and never have I heard anyone express the opinion that what could really improve the show is an Irish dancing troop like Diversity. But the Irvings know better.

But the best is, it is all - the blog, the e-mails, the promo video, the radio interviews - done with such guileless bad taste and self belief that I can only think that they think this pig-in-a-poke is going to be wonderful.

So that's the Rock/Indie night then. A pop group who've released no new music in 20 years.

I have a solution for all you lot taking time to come on here and moan......DON'T GO TO IT- simples!

Total agreement Declan, except Diversity are not an Irish Dance Group, that will be Stavros..lol

8-)

Phew thank heavens for that. I was really worried they get an act I actually wanted to see. Then I would have been forced to spend a small fortune to stand at the back of a tent while hours of stuff i have no real interest in is performed just so I don't feel I have been totally ripped off while waiting for the 1 hour of music I had an interest in. I am so happy the final act is as craptaculus as the rest and now I need not bother.

BTW I too think this may well be a success. The sad fact is most people on this island are so starved of decent entertainment, so old that they remember the 80's (afterall if you are that age you have a fair chance of affording a ticket), or so moronic as to have no taste as to find this tosh as a must see. Hells bells if Black lace were booked for the Villa they would sell out in 30 seconds :-(

If you they had produced what they had promised or not hyped it up to the max then maybe people would not moan.

What you they have produced will probably be financially succesfull as apart from possibly Spandau they seem cheap bookings and popular to kids and women of a certain age. However it is not what was promised. If as a student I was promised say a new brand honda civic but then it turned out to be a second hand mini they might both be cars but would I be happy. No way as I would not have received what I expected. If I had only been offered the mini in the first place tehn the issue would not have arisen.

It is strange but I do feel I should not really be knocking somebody who is trying to bring something and put something on in the Island and really I do not want to. But as much as I do not want to knock when somebody so blatently does not produce what they promised, and there may be good reason behind that, but does not have the gall to even admit the fact then unfortunately they deserve every bit of critisim coming there way. especially when you these guys wanted tax payers money to help fund a second festival.

Finally I would also have to say I can only think this has to have damaged there business reputation on the IoM

It seems like the obvious choice to me. It will definitely sell out. And just because it will fail to make a few middle aged blokes feel cutting edge for a little while does not make it a naff booking.

Indeed. if the event had been touted as an all round entertainment show, with a range of dance and music acts then fair enough....

However the level of ego massaging and self publicity on how this is going to be a cutting edge festival with top names has lead some of us to feel mighty let down.

Go, enjoy yourself.....

Archived