Bay Festival

bluemonday

Rockness crowd was 35,000 according to internet. The IOM is not going to cope which 10s of thousands of people turning up for a festival in one spot. But you need TT numbers for it to be viable.

Also: No camping etc plus cost and difficulty of getting here. Also total lack of festival infrastructure - food tents, side acts .. all the stuff which festivals are about. Just wouldn't happen here.

Yes but it has a much larger viable catchment area and is less than 4 hours by car from Glasgow and Edinburgh. As I said - the thing about festivals is that a bunch of friends get in a car and drive there.

Jersey seem to put on a fairly succesful Indie/Dance festival every year over two days and whilst we should do our own thing it does appear to provide a decent template. This is especially as they have similar constraints to the IoM with regard to travel and accomodation but also size of the festival. I think Jersey Festival's capacity is 10,000.

What I like about Jersey's is getting away from the actual acts they have seem to have a sensible and sold vision. e.g Two stages one for local acts one for booked acts. A dance tent and a couple of other areas. There also appears to be a consistent and coherent music policy.

As I said I would not follow slavishly but it does seem to pride a decent template and an idea of what is achievable on an offshore Island if you want to put on a music festival. Alternatively if all you are looking to do is fill a large tent over three night with any sort of music you can get hold of and make a bit of money then the IoM Bay guys may have it about right

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply
.. another Jarvis Cocker - MJ Moment !!!

Jarvis Cocker and Micheal Jackson are hardly in the same league as Jedward and Calvin, thats like comparing Chelsea to Douglas Old Boys.

As for people not coming to the IOM for a pop concert...eh, what do you think I have been travelling to the UK for since I was old enough? before anyone makes any 'witty' comments I shall tell you, I have been going to see pop concerts, but I suppose you have to cater for the masses, I know I'm not unique (I've often met IOM people at gigs in Liverpool/Manchester) why are the masses idiots with a taste for crappy mass produced music? At Shpongle we met, Americans, Europeans and I read on their forum about people coming from Australia and Japan....clearly people travel to see what they like.

Alternatively if all you are looking to do is fill a large tent over three night with any sort of music you can get hold of and make a bit of money then the IoM Bay guys may have it about right

That has yet to be seen - but they certainly need to learn about managing expectations.

If they had booked Take That or Coldplay or Bon Jovi etc then the festival would definately attracted people from outside IOM in my opinion.

Something like Creamfields would be a better option in my opinion.

As an example, I'm going to see The Prodigy at MK Bowl next July, good support eg Pendulum, Enter Shakiri etc, without being necessarily being A listers, but good value with a 1pm start. Happy to travel to see a top live act like the Prodigy.

As an example, I'm going to see The Prodigy at MK Bowl next July, good support eg Pendulum, Enter Shakiri etc, without being necessarily being A listers, but good value with a 1pm start. Happy to travel to see a top live act like the Prodigy.

MK Bowl has a huge catchment area - basically the whole of the SE, the Midlands and fair distance west. Which means that even still popular B list acts will likely pull in an adequate audience to make the event feasible.

A few people (like you) will be prepared to come much further or even fly in to see a band they are particularly keen on. But the majority of the audience will have driven no more than a few hours max or will have come on public transport.

If they had booked Take That or Coldplay or Bon Jovi etc then the festival would definately attracted people from outside IOM in my opinion.

Yes. Or U2 or maybe even the Madonna or the Beyonce. Seems unlikely. You have to be realistic. Coldplay are doing big international venues. I expect Take That will end up playing the Villa within the next couple of years. They are basically only popular in the British Isles so in the end will likely play all of it.

People mostly won't come here to see British bands with no international audience they can just as easily see locally in Deptford, Digbeth, Tuebrook, Watford, Enfield ...

Just announced:

The festival organisers are pleased to announce that in line with their up to date, finger on the pulse music bookings they have at great expense secured the following celebrity hosts

Friday - Fresh from his Crackerjack sell out tour - Stu Francis

Saturday - To bring out the rock/indy vibe to the max - The Krankies

Sunday - To wrap up the perfect weekend - Keith Chegwin

Is there a ticket option to see Calvin Harris only? That would be a sell out.

Who is he? Never heard of him

He has had 5 top ten singles in last 3 years, including 2 number 1s and 2 top ten albums, including a no. 1. He is also a highly regarded remixer and producer.

Saw him live in 2007 supporting Faithless and was impressed.

haha this is hilarious!

I checked the Rick Astley Forum (strictly for research purposes) and saw this post...hopefully the King of Peel has booked his travel for him...

"Here we go then... a date for next summer already. It is a Here & Now show and is on the Isle of Man on 20th June 2010.

For those who don't know, the Isle of Man is an island between the North West of England and Ireland, in the Irish Sea. I'm not sure exactly how you get there but I would assume there is a ferry from Holyhead, North Wales."

quality... a ferry from Holyhead.... hahahahahhaha, quality

and just as i was getting fed up of reading this subject.

haha this is hilarious!

I checked the Rick Astley Forum (strictly for research purposes) and saw this post...hopefully the King of Peel has booked his travel for him...

"Here we go then... a date for next summer already. It is a Here & Now show and is on the Isle of Man on 20th June 2010.

For those who don't know, the Isle of Man is an island between the North West of England and Ireland, in the Irish Sea. I'm not sure exactly how you get there but I would assume there is a ferry from Holyhead, North Wales."

quality... a ferry from Holyhead.... hahahahahhaha, quality

and just as i was getting fed up of reading this subject.

This is gonna be the biggest Rick Roll in history.

• 4 weeks later...

We can now offer festival camping holidays in the Isle of Man for £149!! This INCLUDES ferry, pitch, festival pass and booking fee! Yes... all for an incredible £149!!... andyou can pay for it all over 3 months, please see below. T&Cs apply. Please forward this to your friends in the UK who may wish to experience the BIG FESTIVAL experience in the Isle of Man. If you live on the Isle of Man but want 3 nights camping and festival pass it is only £139!

Mr. Irving must be selling tickets like hot cakes :lol:

A feeling of desperation must surely be creeping in.

• 1 month later...

"Two of the other acts headlining at the Manx Telecom Bay Festival are confirmed to play at the Isle of Wight Festival just days before. Electro-pop artist of the moment Calvin Harris and the legendary Spandau Ballet will perform mainstage on the 11th and 13th of June respectively. The Isle of Wight Festival is renowned for attracting both UK and international acts of the highest calibre. With its origins in the late 60’s, the initial event attracted such iconic artists as Dylan and Hendrix, and in recent years acts including Muse, R.E.M, Coldplay and David Bowie have all graced the mainstage. Smaller and more intimate than Glastonbury, the festival has a uniquely artistic and alternative vibe, reflected in the many independent artists and fringe events that take place alongside more mainstream attractions, and there are clear indications that the Island’s own Manx Telecom Bay Festival will promote a similar diversity."

LMFAO

Pure comedy.

Archived