4x4s

blue kipper

In my opinion there are a ridiculous nimber of 4x4 vehicles on the Island's roads. Apart from if you are a farmer or live down a very bumpy track, I see no point in owning one. I find that he reason why so many people do is for image - the amount of silver BMW X3s I seem to see on a daily basis is astounding - just so people can show off their 'wonderful' 'car.' No, they're not cars, they're... things.

If you asked a Manx person if their 4x4 goes off road, they would probably say to you 'Yes, on my drive.' And to those who say 'Oh I need my 4x4 for space for luggage, the children, dog etc,' - well buy a Vauxhall Zafira or Ford Galaxy!

Defend yourselves, 4x4 owners!!

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't be arsed, but one thing I will say is that the Vauxhall Zafira or the Ford Galaxy are both horrible.

Anyway, why should anyone have to defend a personal choice?

I have two one is a car and the other is a pick up, got them both because there rare. On the car the 4x4 helps a lot when driving like a loon, and its handy on the pick up when I need to tow my boat on the beach.

Yes Observer a fair point, in hindsight I phrased that incorrectly. What I meant was, what are your reasons for owning one of these monstrosities?

If you don't like the Zafira or Galaxy, you could always have a look at the Meriva or the Renault Megane, the Peugeot 807, Citroen Xsara, Seat Alhambra, VW Sharan...

They are all the same though, horrible 'vanlike' things - I don't want to drive a van, I want to drive a car.

There is a measure of image involved in so far as I would not like to drive a van but my 100% completely truthful answer is one of practicality. It's a seven seater, so it can fit the kids and half the netball team in it comfortably, it converts easily to stow away bikes, scooters and such like and it is a sturdy solid car that you needn't worry about going a little off the beaten track with. OK, so I don't go up hill and down dale on previously undriven terrain but so what??

I really would rather something smaller, faster and quicker to accelerate (more nippy in otherwords) but at the moment my family/life circumstances dictate that I need something more of a workhorse and it does the job well.(I've towed a caravan with it and it was well up for the job).

I can honestly say it's not a question of driving some kind of status symbol and seemingly 'lording it' over the roads, there is just no preferrable option choicewise for what I need a car to be able to do right now.

If you don't like the Zafira or Galaxy, you could always have a look at the Meriva or the Renault Megane, the Peugeot 807, Citroen Xsara, Seat Alhambra, VW Sharan...

Mine is admittedly a 7 seater - but so are many of the people carriers. Do you think they somehow take up less room or are more economic or environmentally sound or kinder to the road because they're called something fluffy like 'people carrier' instead of 'supermegathrusterpenisextension hear me roar arf arf mk7'?!!

Ignore me, everyone knows I spring to the defence of my 4WD baby, the other love of my life. I admit I dont have the excuse of the kids and all their friends now - they're all driving their own and the dog refuses to jump up into the back any more due to age and the horse refuses to take the theory test as he needs glasses - so, the end may be near... :(

On a happier note, I hear bad weather may be on the way this weekend...soon Lassie..sooon :D

the amount of silver BMW X3s I seem to see on a daily basis is astounding

A recent Sunday newspaper article showed that the BMW X3 2.0 Diesel had better fuel comsumption and fewer emissions that the BMW Mini Cooper S.

Do you complain about them?

A friend of mine has a BMW M5 that does 16 mpg, which is worse that my Range Rover when I had it. How about my Suzuki SJ 1.3? Got something against that little vehicle as well?

does 16 mpg, which is worse that my Range Rover when I had it. How about my Suzuki SJ 1.3? Got something against that little vehicle as well?

You got more than 16 from a Rangie? Wish I could - mine's good for 12!!!

I have two 4wd vehicles, like Jim's, my car is 4wd and it makes the car handle better although I never drive it hard enough that it would matter that much. But I didn't buy it because it was 4wd anyway, that was just a bonus.

My range rover is a 19 year old shed that cost me £30. The main reason I have got it is for towing my boat and the occasional play off road after fitting much bigger tyres and higher suspension to it. It a fun old bus but not at all economical at 12mpg and £170 tax each year when I hardly even drive the bloody thing! <_<

Probably would have been better sticking with my little suzuki jeep too!

And you DON'T need a 4wd just because you live down 'a bumpy lane'. :rolleyes:

Now Blue Kipper - tell us what you drive and why you have that vehicle if you please...

If you run over a child you're far more likely to kill them driving a 4x4 as you'll hit the upper part of their body and possibly their head.

Also, they reduce parking spaces for other vehicles and guzzle fuel.

Also, recent studies show they kill fluffy animals, never give to charities, beat up wives and harrass old people.

i agree with bluekipper - i don't understand the need for a massive 4 x 4 SUV / truck over here on the isle of man. the entire island is full of tiny, windy roads - what is the need???

i come from the very far north of canada and yes, we do need them there. i left my beautiful baby of a 1978 ford bronco and am still missing it. its in my parent's driveway so hopefully one day we'll be reunited.

I understand a lot of people have them for towing boasts, horse boxes, ferrying the children around and obviously some do go off-road. But there are a vast majority who do not own boats or horses, have no children and live in nice little estates that have flat roads, in which case it is just for the show.

I read an article a while ago in one of the Sunday Papers about the original inventor of the 4x4 who says that he hates them now and wouldn't own one himself.

what are your reasons for owning one of these monstrosities?

It's a seven seater, so it can fit the kids and half the netball team in it comfortably...

That's a good enough reason for me!

I'll go and get one, at least then I'll be able to fit the whole netball team in!

Stav.

:P

Also, they reduce parking spaces for other vehicles and guzzle fuel.

A bit of a sweeping statement..

My Land Rover was smaller than the Granada Estate it replaced. My Suzuki is a lot smaller than most cars on the road. As stated before, the BMW X3 diesel is more fuel efficient that the Mini Cooper

Archived