4x4s

blue kipper

Hmmm, that begs another question then.

If you have both a small, crappy car AND a big, flashy car does that mean that your piece changes size depending on which you happen to be driving, or that it just averages out?

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Man are you "wrong", they feel safer because they "are" safer, most 4x4's handle very well and also are very easy to park due to the high visibility  pas and auto transmission, most have abs brakes and very big tyre's (lots of rubber on the road) also if it get icy or it snow's they can still get about with no problems, I for one feel happy that my missus and kid's are travelling in something that is above all safe but also comfortable and drives like a dream, clocking up somthing like 35mpg while there doing it.

On what evidence to do you claim that he's wrong? This is the thing that really gets on my tits. Your wife is driving near schools thinking she's safer than everyone else, in a false cloud of security that makes her even more dangerous. The average 4x4 has a longer breaking distance and a higher centre of gravity, how are you safer in something that's more likely to have an accident?

Because you'll be better off in a crash? Compare a small mpvs crash test results:

http://www.euroncap.com/content/safety_rat...p?id1=7&id2=183

http://www.euroncap.com/content/safety_rat...p?id1=7&id2=100

to a 4x4:

http://www.euroncap.com/content/safety_rat...?id1=10&id2=142

http://www.euroncap.com/content/safety_rat...p?id1=9&id2=143

Still think the wife and kids are safer in one?

Check the pedestrian safety rating on that last one, the grand vitara. Fekking shocking thing, like driving round in a loaded gun.

I'll accept that there are also unsafe family cars and mpv's, but the trend is far worse for 4x4s, take a browse around the ncap site for the evidence.

Slim, my opinion (the one we are all entitled to) that he is wrong, is based on personal experience not evidence, I owned a garage for some years and drove almost every make of 4x4, mpv, and saloon/estate car in that time.

The high center of gravity=bad handling thing goes back to the early suzuki jeep's and was blown out of all proportion, most any vehicle would have turned over driven in the same manner as the jeep in the test I watched, and as for braking distances most 4x4's will have bigger brakes to compensate for the weight but all will be different some good, some bad, at the end of the day it's who is behind the wheel and how it's being driven that decide's weather its more likley to be involved in an accident or not.

The ncap test's make good reading thank's for that, but I would still rather be driving a Nissan Patrol or Isuzu Trooper if I was involved in a motorway pile up than say a Saxo or Micra, A 4x4 is no more likely to kill anybody than any other vehicle until an idiot climb's behind the wheel, again thats just my opinion.

they would never shut up

Heh heh. I think that's ace coming from a bird.

That's a joke right? :P

I can imagine it now......

Willy - "Honey, I have a really stiff back/neck(?) again so would you give me a massage?"

Honey - "It's about time you had that looked at, it is clearly a chronic problem"

Willy - "If you really loved me you wouldn't mind doing it for me, I mean, I always feel so much better after one of your massages. Don't you love me any more? Is that it? You can watch Eastenders at the same time if you like. Owwww.... pleeeeeease."

Nope, willies must definitely NEVER talk.

I have seen the Humme/Humvee whatever it is thing a number of times, driving towards Castletown past the NSC. I see it weekday mornings usually between 8.20 and 8.30 - it has slightly tinted windows but I give a good stare atwhere I gauge the driver's head to be! H2 MAN is the reg i think?

Archived