4x4s

blue kipper

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I read an article a while ago in one of the Sunday Papers about the original inventor of the 4x4 who says that he hates them now and wouldn't own one himself.

wtf!!! I'm not sure who invented them but at a guess he's long dead, and he probably invented them for a purpose (going off road) so why would he hate them!!??

stupid article.

What about the 4x4 Subaru Impreza & Evo crowd? are they safety conscious  & economical cars???

Erm, yes basically. They've got better brakes and a lot more grip/traction than most cars, and as long as you're driving them sensibly & not thrashing them they're fairly economical too.

wtf!!! I'm not sure who invented them but at a guess he's long dead, and he probably invented them for a purpose (going off road) so why would he hate them!!??

stupid article.

#  1898: Latil (France) making front wheel drive units and then 4x4.

# 1898: Tatra starts manufacturing.

# 1900: Ferdinand Porsche's La Toujours Contente is battery-powered with 4 electric motors, one per wheel. He later patents the Mixte transmission: a petrol engine drives a dynamo and electric motors drive the wheels (too expensive for the day).

# 1902: Spyker (Dutch) full-time four wheel drive car built. Exhibited at the Paris Motor Show in December 1903 [sco61].

# 1907: Felix and Norman Caldwell of South Australia apply for a patent for four wheel drive plus four wheel steering; they go on to build Caldwell Vale 4x4 trucks with Henry Vale.

# 1911: FWD sells its first 4x4 [bal87].

# 1913: Jeffrey Quad 4X4 truck goes into production.

# 1915: Big Lizzie road train (Au).

# 1917: First Oshkosh four wheel drive truck [bal88].

# 1922, December 17: Citroen half-tracks leave from Touggourt in Algeria to cross the Sahara Desert.

# 1924, December 28: Citroen half-tracks leave to traverse Africa.

# 1929: AEC start to build AWD trucks in conjunction with FWD (UK).

# 1931-1932: Citroen-Haardt expedition, using Citroen half-tracks, follows part of Marco-Polo's route from Beirut to Beijing.

# 1932: Miller 4x4 racing cars at Indianapolis.....

It looks like the 4x4 was being developed since at least 1898!

Stav.

Headlights should be no more of a problem to other cars on a 4x4 than any other vehilcle unless they have the incorrect beam alignment.

Even if the vehicle's boot is loaded up to the eyeballs with heavy objects that completely compress the rear shochers most (if not all) new(ish) cars now have a switch that electrically lowers the headlights to compensate for off centre loading. (Hands up those who wondered what that swich did).

There are very few arguments against 4x4s that can not be leveled against any choice of other vehicle. I say again

In the case of vehicles surely the most important thing is not the type of vehicle, but the type of driver.
If you walk across Douglas Prom (for example) in the evening, you're more likely to be mown down by a Fiesta or Nova than you are a 4x4. (yes or no?) So which is more dangerous to the public?

I care about the enviroment, but I also care about road safety and that isn't affected as much by the type of vehicle as it is the type of driver.

Headlights should be no more of a problem to other cars on a 4x4 than any other vehilcle unless they have the incorrect beam alignment.

Even if the vehicle's boot is loaded up to the eyeballs with heavy objects that completely compress the rear shochers most (if not all) new(ish) cars now have a switch that electrically lowers the headlights to compensate for off centre loading. (Hands up those who wondered what that swich did).

If it's a decent car, it should be fitted with 'Self Leveling Suspension'

Stav.

It is apparent reading through this thread that it is not the 4 x 4 drivers with the problem - it's the individuals with what amounts to an obsessive dislike for them.

I hate Volvos and their (invariably awful) drivers - do I rant on that their vehicle is unnecessary and that they shouldn't be on the roads? No. Yet their vehicle is as long as mine and they drive it worse than I do mine and they can't park to save their life, yet I can. They are invariably a hazzard to other road users, I'm not, yet they drive what is supposed to be one of the safest cars you can drive.. hmmm.... is that why they drive so badly? Because they get into their cars with an unreasonably high expectation of their safety?

I hate old bangers trundling along spewing out noxious gases, without break lights, barely there exhaust pipes and apparently without a care on the road because they don't care if their car is scratched as it's knackered already - does this give them an unduly careless attitude when they get in their cars because they are not bothered if they damage them? Maybe. Do I rant about it? No.

I hate sad little boy racers who drive at rediculously fast speeds in residential/pedestrian areas in their souped up cars with the extra gadgets on - they drive selfishly and dangerously and far worse than I do but do I rant about it? No. Are they more of a nuisance on the roads than I am? Undoubtedly yes.

I absolutely can't stand the incredibly large amount of drivers in all sorts of cars who are discourteous and selfish, whilst seemingly being unable to understand the concept of a roundabout amongst other common traffic concepts - are they more of a nuisance on the road than I am? Undoubtedly yes. Are they more dangerous on the road than I am? Absolutely yes. Do they drive around with badly adjusted headlights that manage to blind even me in my higher than average car? Yes, all the time.

The problem is not the 4 x 4 drivers who are all stereotyped and unnecessarily labelled, the problem lies in those who have a problem with them.

If you walk across Douglas Prom (for example) in the evening, you're more likely to be mown down by a Fiesta or Nova than you are a 4x4. (yes or no?) So which is more dangerous to the public?

I think they've mainly swapped to Citroen Saxos now, with Corsas & Clios close behind. Seems to be a large increase in them having blacked out windows now too, no doubt so you can't see what the scallies within are up to, and sunstrips (with things like "Motorsport!" emblazened across them).

Agreed though.

I hate Volvos and their (invariably awful) drivers -

I don't hate them, I just become a lot more "volvo aware" when I go out on the bike for a change. They seem renowned as being the biker's number one foe predator on the roads although I've yet to be attacked by one personally.

Archived