4x4s

blue kipper

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The problem is not the 4 x 4 drivers who are all stereotyped and unnecessarily labelled, the problem lies in those who have a problem with them.

So the problem isn't the proven facts that being hit by a 4x4 greatly increases the chances of a fatality? The proven facts that the majority of 4x4's are worse for greenhouse gasses than saloon cars? The proven facts that 4x4's are more likely to be involved in accidents than other kinds of cars?

Bad drivers is another issue entirerely, you get bad drivers in both cars and 4x4's. But a bad driver in a 4x4 is worse than a bad driver in a car.

Still, plug your fingers in your ears and go 'lalalalaa'. We know you don't want to be down near the ground with the rest of us dross, eh?

Still, plug your fingers in your ears and go 'lalalalaa'. We know you don't want to be down near the ground with the rest of us dross, eh?

Now there's a very telling sentence and one which I think gets a little nearer to the real issue with 4 x 4's versus (humble?) cars. Status? Money??

Personally, I can't wait to get my little sporty nippy number, I eye them up all the time and look forward to the day my arse is as close to the road as everyone elses.

So is it a statistical fact that more people are run over by 4 x 4's? Strange, never heard that one before.

If you walk across Douglas Prom (for example) in the evening, you're more likely to be mown down by a Fiesta or Nova than you are a 4x4. (yes or no?) So which is more dangerous to the public?

Just doing some checking - a Land Rover 90 (a common size over here) is a whole 6 inches longer than a Ford Fiesta (160.5" against 154.3"). It's probably shorter than a Ford Focus. Most 4x4 aren't really that long, you can easily find cars of a similar length, so the "taking up more parking space" argument is nonsense. They're undoubtably higher, but then a Reanault Scenic driver is probably sitting at a similar height to an X3 driver and in a similar sized vehicle.

Now there's a very telling sentence and one which I think gets a little nearer to the real issue with 4 x 4's versus (humble?) cars. Status? Money??

Personally I don't that gets anywhere near the real issue which was ducked ie greenhouse gasses, accident rates and the fact they are in the main unnecessary.

So is it a statistical fact that more people are run over by 4 x 4's? Strange, never heard that one before.

No but proportionally more people are hurt by them. It's all about their weight, stopping distances in the wet and so forth.

Nice try though.

-

No but proportionally more people are hurt by them. It's all about their weight, stopping distances in the wet and so forth

I dispute that - more people are hurt by dangerous/careless driving in 'standard' cars.

In reality all cars are evil environment destroying etc etc etc

from their production to their daily use

I try to use mine as seldom as possible - heck sometimes I even get a taxi to the corner shop

like that helps the environment!

Feigns Stupidity - ooh yeahh I hadn't realised

Maybe I could just get someone else to drive round the shop for me

We know you don't want to be down near the ground with the rest of us dross, eh?
Personally I don't that gets anywhere near the real issue which was ducked ie greenhouse gasses, accident rates and the fact they are in the main unnecessary.

It clearly implied a superiority/inferiority issue.

No but proportionally more people are hurt by them. It's all about their weight, stopping distances in the wet and so forth

I dispute that - more people are hurt by dangerous/careless driving in 'standard' cars.

Rather than 'more people are hurt by' - perhaps he means 'people are hurt more by' 4x4s. And there is scientific proof to back that up.

No, what I think is telling is that you once again ignored the content of my post and have picked up on a closing comment. If I was feeling any kind of jelousy hatered, I'd be slagging off ferrari drivers. Does back up my 'It can't be me' statement about the majority of 4x4 drivers though, don't you think?

Didn't say that. I said 4x4's have more accidents, and less people who get hit by 4x4's survive.

The proven facts that the majority of 4x4's are worse for greenhouse gasses than saloon cars?

Can't agree with that as the blanket statement it seems to be. I'm fairly sure there are more saloons with large engines than there are "4x4s" with the same size engines. Just look at the number of 3 litre BMWs (which probably have the same engine as their X5 or whatever anyway) & mercs and so on.

Does driving all 4 wheels & having a bigger bodyshell cause a huge increase in the pollution from the same engine? A teeny bit perhaps but very little.

As for braking distances and the like, I think they're poor arguments because if they were such dangerous beasts they'd never pass the increasingly rigid safety tests.

I do agree though that if you go running people over as a hobby as seems to a common argument against 4x4s that you'll probably get a higher bodycount due to their physical shape causing people to get pushed under them rather than bouncing over them. Just not in mine as a) I'm hardly ever in it, B ) Going slow because it doesn't go fast anyway, and c) It's got massive ground clearance so you'd likely just emerge from the back relatively unscathed (although I hope of course that I never test this theory).

Archived