4x4s

blue kipper

That's the only part I agree with too - if you're hit by one you are likely to be more hurt, but I base that only on the size, shape and weight of the thing. This could be offset against accidents involving high speed as they are not designed to travel fast, so they are more than likely involved less in accidents of that nature.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why has nobody ever started a thread about Golf umbrellas?

I did on manx net. It was a rant after it pissed it down during TT week a few years ago and some woman poked me in the eye with her umbrella. Ahh the good old days.

Also, there are plenty of old bangers, bedford vans and suchlike on this island that will be pumping out far more emissions than a modern 4 x 4 and that's before you even start really comparing them to other large saloons.

It wasn't just Hannibal from the Ateam then after all?

Anyway not keen on the 4x4 term being used here seeing as many cars are, most modern tractors & JCBs etc.

I think SUV as the yanks call them would be more appropriate (to steer attacks away from my 2 4x4s). :)

Your right there, it is a generalisatoin, and not all 4x4s are shaped dangerously or gas guzzling poluters. I'll restrict my comments to 'flipping huge and stupid pointless 4x4 owner who drives to work daily, by himself, past several schools'

Obs, you're the devil incarnate and the sooner you accept that the sooner you can come to terms with it and get on with your life.

This lengthy denial process isn't helping anyone.

If I accept that, can I take part in sordid sexual orgies with both sexes?

Oh...... okay then :-)

Anyone interested in taking part in a free for all with an attractive recently converted dark side worshipper please PM for further details.

NB Mustn't object to the fact that she drives a 4 x 4.

I'm fairly sure there are more saloons with large engines than there are "4x4s" with the same size engines.  Just look at the number of 3 litre BMWs (which probably have the same engine as their X5 or whatever anyway) & mercs and so on.

Does driving all 4 wheels & having a bigger bodyshell cause a huge increase in the pollution from the same engine?  A teeny bit perhaps but very little.

It's not really down to engine size. It has everything to do with having to burn more fuel to move about all the unnecessary weight that a 4x4 has for offroad that never gets used. It's not the slightly bigger bodyshell but all the stiffening, uprated suspension, heavier transmission, really heavy wheels and tyres and all the rest.

As for braking distances and the like, I think they're poor arguments because if they were such dangerous beasts they'd never pass the increasingly rigid safety tests.

They pass the tests but do badly, especially in the wet. They struggle to stay in a straight line and are also more likely to turn over.

The freedom of choice argument is interesting. I wonder how many folks complain about the US polluting everyone's planet and then get in their 4x4 to go home? Same goes for the poor kiddy who gets killed by one where if it had been a normal car they may have survived the impact or it might even have stopped in time.

I passed my test in a 4x4. I did own one but it hardly went offroad so got rid of it for the above reasons. If people want to drive one then fine, just be prepared to be unpopular for your selfishness. You know I think I'll start to yellow card them.

NB Mustn't object to the fact that she drives a 4 x 4.

That's a pity Obs, until you mentioned that, you were in there....

Shucks!

Can't I persuade you? When the seats are all down we could fit a whole gang of sweaty writhing bodies in the back....... drive to where there's a few crossed ley lines... light of a full moon....

Archived