Iomspc Fare Discounts

manshimajin

I have just 'visited' a 'Word with Woodward'. There is an interesting quote from him about the TT period:

It is worth noting that the number of sailings increases by some 45% during this period. We will have put on 104 sailings in the run up to race week compared to the normal 72 at this time of year. Many of the return legs involved are near empty or ‘light’ positional sailings and generate little or no additional revenue.

In previous threads people have said that the IOMSPC is no longer providing TT period discounts to Islanders to take advantage of the 'light' loads on return journeys. Given that these near empty sailings must be generating significant losses I was wondering if the IOMSPC has reverted to offering big discounts to fill the ships? What has your experience been this year?

Has Mr Woodward learned to think like a discount airline' manager, that bums on seats for a small price is far better than an empty plane?

That would make sense manshimajin but why do something that makes sense when you can do it the steam racket way . This is a company who took an item off the cafe menu because it was "too popular" ie nobody was buying the rest of the overpriced shite .

That would make sense manshimajin but why do something that makes sense when you can do it the steam racket way . This is a company who took an item off the cafe menu because it was "too popular" ie nobody was buying the rest of the overpriced shite .

What was this?

Although before he learns to think like a discount airline manager he would first have to learn to think, something I doubt he is capable of.

What was this?

Although before he learns to think like a discount airline manager he would first have to learn to think, something I doubt he is capable of.

A few seasons back there was a Pie and Pint deal which went very well and wasn't too much of a rip off, about halfway through the season the Pies disappeared . I can't remember if they made a comeback or not the next season .

I think they may not have to pay the same level of insurance when they run 'light ship' (crew only), the crossings over TT which were 'light' were also not on the sailing schedule for taking bookings, so unlless there were a few hundred extra people wanting to travel I suspect they would not have altered their plans.

What was this?

Woodward's general demeanour may well leave something to be desired but he's no fool that is for sure. At the moment he's running rings round the dopes in Tynwald and as a result we're all at the mercy of Oz pension funds, with their requirements taking precedence over shipping services to/from the Isle of Man.

I think they may not have to pay the same level of insurance when they run 'light ship' (crew only), the crossings over TT which were 'light' were also not on the sailing schedule for taking bookings, so unlless there were a few hundred extra people wanting to travel I suspect they would not have altered their plans.

What you say would make some sense for 'light' sailings but I note that Mark Woodward says "many of the return legs involved are near empty or ‘light’ " - so they must have been taking some passengers on them. MW has said previously that the main cost for the IOMSPC is the fuel the ships use.

It just seems logical to try and get more people onto the 'near empty' and 'light' ships to contribute to fuel costs and to buy food, presents etc...For example if the IOMSPC offered (and publicised) a £100 return for Car+1 during the TT excess shipping period (Douglas-UK-Douglas only) I would guess that they would get a decent take up. Better to have 200 passengers generating £20,000 revenue than 50 generating £10,000.

The counter argument could be that we would all try and get on the discount sailings and not on the post TT sailings - but the counter to that is that we could then afford to make additional sailings and in any case many folk would not change their holiday arrangements to sail earlier. Maybe even make it a 'specific period' for the discount return - eg 5 days or 10 days.

IMO Mark Wooward should actually DO something to fill ships or stop MOANING that they are not full - he is the manager and managers are supposed to MANAGE!

Archived