New Indie/alternative Night At The Old Courthouse

Moomar65

It's a shame that there is nowhere over here where you can listen to decent rock / metal like Nine Inch Nails, System of a Down etc. I appreciate it's all down to demand but every place i go in plays the same poncy dance tunes. How about some manly music! Have not heard anything decent since the Tardis.

For about a year and a half (2007-2008)...Whenever I was back on the Island from uni, I ran a monthly Alternative night down at Bushys Basement Bar called SpiderwebS...where I played all sorts of rock/metal/punk/industrial/EBM/Goth etc (bit of everything alternative really)...was PLENTY of Nine Inch Nails and System played there! hehe

They were actually really busy sometimes.

Also...keep an ear out for anything organised by Piglet...he occasionally organised DJ nights down Bushys Basement Bar (the last one being at Christmas)...where he would have a team of 6 DJ's (myself, Piglet, Justin, Craig, Tom K, Phil)...playing a mix of Industrial/Metal/EBM/Goth/Alt Rock.

Will be sure to keep you informed if I hear anything being organised, or if I organise anything myself! :)

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's a shame that there is nowhere over here where you can listen to decent rock / metal like Nine Inch Nails, System of a Down etc. I appreciate it's all down to demand but every place i go in plays the same poncy dance tunes. How about some manly music! Have not heard anything decent since the Tardis.

For about a year and a half (2007-2008)...Whenever I was back on the Island from uni, I ran a monthly Alternative night down at Bushys Basement Bar called SpiderwebS...where I played all sorts of rock/metal/punk/industrial/EBM/Goth etc (bit of everything alternative really)...was PLENTY of Nine Inch Nails and System played there! hehe

They were actually really busy sometimes.

Also...keep an ear out for anything organised by Piglet...he occasionally organised DJ nights down Bushys Basement Bar (the last one being at Christmas)...where he would have a team of 6 DJ's (myself, Piglet, Justin, Craig, Tom K, Phil)...playing a mix of Industrial/Metal/EBM/Goth/Alt Rock.

Will be sure to keep you informed if I hear anything being organised, or if I organise anything myself! :)

Not sure, since the piercing clinic went Piglet seems to have lost his way a bit. The last event of his I went to was pretty depressing compaired to the old events down in the hotel basement, or even the few put on in the Outback.

I think its down to a lack of any really good venues for alternative and rock music, the basement is ok but its too small.

The Outback did work quiet well in the past, the only problem was the disinterest of the owner at the time. The only way to get the numbers required to make a decent success of these events is to hold them on weekends rather than mid-week but I can't see many venues giving up their most profitable nights for alternative nights which are a relatively unknown quantity.

You also need to have them regularly, every week ideally, to build up a good regular reputation and a good set of regulars.

The Outback would be fine as an Alt venue. As mad as it sounds a really good one would be downstairs in Paramount.

Your problem would be numbers.

The Outback would be fine as an Alt venue if they changed it back into the Tardis.

Archived