Yet Another...

Terse

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The blame cannot rest entirely with the DOT when it is the police who have been implementing this speed restriction which is apparently not worth the sign it flashes on.....

But the Police don't make the laws - the Govt do. And when the Govt (or DOT) bring in a law then people tend to expect that it is enforceable! The Govt has it's own legal dept (the Attorney General's Office) who should check all these.

Maybe the blame shoudn't rest entirely with the DOT or the Police, but maybe the drivers who should of realised that the signs were unenforceable.....

Sorry to be a cynic but while I appreciate that the IOM Police force use real human beings with brains instead of greed cameras which can't tell what condition the vehicle is in, what the weather conditions are or how busy the road is, there's a simple checklist to remember:

Does the speed limit seem low for the road (i.e past King Bills, Cooil Road, Rhencullen)

Are you on a straight stretch of road? (Glen Vine, King Bills again)

Are there things like bushes, walls, grass banks etc that someone can lurk behind? (Hilberry, Rhencullen)

Is the weather perfectly dry?

Are you driving in daylight hours?

If all these apply then drive like a Vicar. I've only been caught out once and in fairness was let off with a warning by a very, very nice man. Though quite why there is a 30 limit past the filling station exiting Kirkmichael going north is beyond me! :angry:

So, not only do they feel it's alright to speed past schools and put young children at risk, they can also afford to make idiots of the dot. What a waste of money, the dot do it for nothing.

In this case, although they won the case legally they lost morally.

So, not only do they feel it's alright to speed past schools and put young children at risk, they can also afford to make idiots of the dot. What a waste of money, the dot do it for nothing.

Hey, you're actually right. I wouldn't feel comfortable about appealing against a speeding fine in such circumstances, on a technicality.

Sorry to be a cynic but while I appreciate that the IOM Police force use real human beings with brains instead of greed cameras which can't tell what condition the vehicle is in, what the weather conditions are or how busy the road is, there's a simple checklist to remember:

Does the speed limit seem low for the road (i.e past King Bills, Cooil Road, Rhencullen)

Are you on a straight stretch of road? (Glen Vine, King Bills again)

Are there things like bushes, walls, grass banks etc that someone can lurk behind? (Hilberry, Rhencullen)

Is the weather perfectly dry?

Are you driving in daylight hours?

If all these apply then drive like a Vicar. I've only been caught out once and in fairness was let off with a warning by a very, very nice man. Though quite why there is a 30 limit past the filling station exiting Kirkmichael going north is beyond me! :angry:

I got a speeding ticket there, he was parked up in the orrisdale road and I was overtaking a car with an old age sunday driver at the wheel whilst I was on my motorbike, I was doing 40 just to quickly overtake the dodderers...he pulled me in and it was the same copper who I had helped bring six sheep in to a field off the road up by my house at sartfell and he still gave me a ticket after I reminded him of my good deed.....I don't understand how a place that encourages speed in all motorsports relishes coming down heavy on speeders, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense....and I wholeheartedly agree 30 mph at this place is bizarre to say the least :rolleyes:

I was doing 40 just to quickly overtake the dodderers...he pulled me in and it was the same copper who I had helped bring six sheep in to a field off the road up by my house at sartfell and he still gave me a ticket after I reminded him of my good deed.....

Shock!, policeman applies the law impartially, as he is obliged to do. Surprised you didn't try and slip him a twenty. For someone who moralises a lot......

Hey, you're actually right. I wouldn't feel comfortable about appealing against a speeding fine in such circumstances, on a technicality.

Yea, it can happen occassionally. (forty thousand monkeys and all that)

Archived