Michael Jackson Suffers Cardiac Arrest

Mission

Racism is also about oppressive understandings and perceptions of race. Yes, it is an observation that both the Cool Runnings group were a bunch of black men and so were the Jacksons, which apparently offers enough similarity to make a joke a funny one. The fact that they are young and long haired has nothing to do with it.

Are all jokes about race, racist? I used the think that, but I was wrong. If this joke hung on the colour of the participants alone (it doesn't because it also relys on the similarity between the coffin and a bobsledge) the joke would be this group of people resemble this group of people. But noting someone looks like a bobsledger isn't perjorative, nor is comparing someone to a Jackson, so where's the negative connotation?

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm sorry, but that isn't a word.

There appears to be a band called Paradoxic which would indicate that it is actually a word.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=paradoxic

That doesn't prove it's a word. Use a proper dictionary -

Miriam-Webster

The noun is a paradox, the adjective is paradoxical. What's left for paradoxic to mean?

The noun is a paradox, the adjective is paradoxical. What's left for paradoxic to mean?

Quite simply the fact that a word is used to give meaning:

A unit of language, consisting of one or more spoken sounds or their written representation, that functions as a principal carrier of meaning.

There is a band called Paradoxic and therefore this constitutes a name. A name is a word which is used to identify a person, place or thing and as such it is giving it meaning. The word Paradoxic has an established meaning in at least one sense if not another. To say that it is not a word is clearly incorrect.

• 4 weeks later...

Do you realise you and I were feet away from each other in a certain shop today?

And we were parked just a few feet apart!

How amazing is that for a Sunday?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived