[BBC News] TT entertainment is a spectacular success

bluemonday

I see the headline now has BBC News replacing Newsgrot

Actually it's iomtoday who have published this.

The £115,000 loss needs to be balanced with the overall extra income for the fortnight otherwise the figure is meaningless unless it is compared to other years.

How much did it cost to pay a gang of bike thugs/stuntmen to wreck their machines in front of the crowds, Russ Swift and his Mini cars - the cost of the boat fare alone must have run into the £1000s.

The £115,000 loss needs to be balanced with the overall extra income for the fortnight otherwise the figure is meaningless unless it is compared to other years.

How much did it cost to pay a gang of bike thugs/stuntmen to wreck their machines in front of the crowds, Russ Swift and his Mini cars - the cost of the boat fare alone must have run into the £1000s.

Fair point!

A very short sighted way to look at things. A 115k loss was for what universally has been agreed as very poor entertainment. The value of the loss is in some ways immaterial if the entertainment you pay for is good, because you make up for it by attracting people to the event in the future. The years entertainment was so poor that it has without doubt hurt the reputation of the festival and probably the numbers of those who will turn up to future events. The fact that it also lost money makes the whole thing a hundred times worse.

Fair point!

about a fifth of that loss

On the Stu Peters show today, a question was asked, is Mr Quayle part of the family that runs a Camp Site in Glen Vine, was entertainment put on during the TT at the camp site and who paid for it.

Still waiting for the answer.

Man in the pub tells me that you could buy beer etc at the site, but find it hard to believe.

By way of coincidence, there was a chap called Quayle (no relation) from south who made a success of the Bradda Glen pub not so long ago.

He then ran the camp-site at Glen Wyllin and got done by the authorities for selling beer (at cost) during TT week to the campers. Ian soon left and emigrated to Australia.

I would very, very, very much doubt that beer was allowed to be sold at that camp-site Lee.

No way.

ay.

The entertainment in Douglas was poor but i wonder because of this how many bikers/tourists, because of this, ventured further afield. Doing the touristy thing, trains, Castle etc etc. Went for a pint in laxey, peel etc

Guess it would be impossible to quantify but maybe pennies were spent in other areas rather than the bushys tent

not really sure what my point is

The only entertainment in town is at the Villa Morosa, the powers that be make a huge loss and end up giving it away. Piss-up and brewery are two words that spring to mind. This can't be all the fault of the politicians surely?

By way of coincidence, there was a chap called Quayle (no relation) from south who made a success of the Bradda Glen pub not so long ago.

He then ran the camp-site at Glen Wyllin and got done by the authorities for selling beer (at cost) during TT week to the campers. Ian soon left and emigrated to Australia.

I would very, very, very much doubt that beer was allowed to be sold at that camp-site Lee.

No way.

ay.

I guess that there would be nothing wrong in say, charging £10 to see the 'entertainment' and giving every ticket holder 6 cans of beer 'free', would there?

Sounds like a plan.

A very cunning plan.

Studmuffin has a point, in a way other places outside Megacity 1 may well have benefitted from Dullsvilles lack of life.

Maybe that is the way forward but to go from everything to sod all in one foul swoop doesn't seem to have been well received,

Archived