[BBC News] Second swine flu case confirmed

Newsbot

Oh no!! Some else has a sniffle! Call the doctor! Quarantine them! Put them down and burn the body lest this plague of sniffles and coughs take hold of the Island.

In other news I have normal flu which kills 600,000 people a year but that’s ok because it doesn’t have the name of an animal or country tacked on to it.

In other news I have normal flu which kills 600,000 people a year but that’s ok because it doesn’t have the name of an animal or country tacked on to it.

And people have immunity to it.

If we have no immunity to Mexican Flu how come it dosn't have a near 100% infection rate?

My misses had it, I didn't get it, neither did any of her family.

All it is is flu, one hundreds of strains, symptoms include having flu.

If we have no immunity to Mexican Flu how come it dosn't have a near 100% infection rate?

As I understand it, the difference is a lack of immunity, which means there's the potential for a much larger number of people to catch it, which increases the number of fatalities and the chances of mutation. Of course, it's largely just guesswork right now because the numbers are so low, but don't you think it's best to err on the side of caution?

I don't think anecdotal evidence is particularly useful here, your wife may have had it and you may not have caught it, but we're talking about what happens to the infection with millions of people, not just you and your missus.

As I understand it, the difference is a lack of immunity, which means there's the potential for a much larger number of people to catch it, which increases the number of fatalities and the chances of mutation. Of course, it's largely just guesswork right now because the numbers are so low, but don't you think it's best to err on the side of caution?

I don't think anecdotal evidence is particularly useful here, your wife may have had it and you may not have caught it, but we're talking about what happens to the infection with millions of people, not just you and your missus.

No hear say and anecdotal evidence is not proof however it does contradict your assertion that we have no immunity to this strain of the virus.

The fact is Swine/Mexican/H1N1 flu is nothing more than common influenza, in fact it has proven to be less deadly so far.

No hear say and anecdotal evidence is not proof however it does contradict your assertion that we have no immunity to this strain of the virus.

More accurate to say there's much lower levels of immunity than seasonal flu. I don't understand why you think you're better placed than virology experts to say that we're immune or not. If your under 60, chances are you have no immunity to this strain, unlike seasonal flu. That's pretty indisputable, despite the fact that you managed to avoid it.

The fact is Swine/Mexican/H1N1 flu is nothing more than common influenza, in fact it has proven to be less deadly so far.

It's influenza. It's not the same strain as seasonal influenza, which means existing immunity is much lower, and current vaccines are ineffective. It isn't deadly so far, fortunately, but the conditions are such that it could mutate.

More accurate to say there's much lower levels of immunity than seasonal flu. I don't understand why you think you're better placed than virology experts to say that we're immune or not. If your under 60, chances are you have no immunity to this strain, unlike seasonal flu. That's pretty indisputable, despite the fact that you managed to avoid it.

I don’t think I am better placed than expert virologist I am just working on the evidence presented and cutting through the “ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG we’re all going to die” bullshit propagated by the majority of news outlets in an attempt to sell more papers/get more viewers. Why aren’t the press reporting the fact the regular flu is far more deadly and could quite happily mutate in the same way H1N1 could? Is it because its easier to scare people with something new?

However I am not the only one to avoid it if, as you maintain, people under 60 have no immunity then everyone under 60 exposed to H1N1 would contract it. The fact is it is pretty difficult to contact, or at least that seems to be the case when you look at reported case. I admit that everyone has a lower immunity to H1N1 but the presented facts do not support no immunity.

It's influenza. It's not the same strain as seasonal influenza, which means existing immunity is much lower, and current vaccines are ineffective. It isn't deadly so far, fortunately, but the conditions are such that it could mutate.

Yes, it could mutate to become deadly, it could also mutate and spark the zombie apocalypse, or it could just continue as it is doing less harm than other strains of flu that everyone accepts as normal yet kill hundreds of thousands a year. I know what my money is on, and I have the shotgun loaded and read for the second most likely option.

Archived