I Hate Jo Whiley

thebees

DJs do help music.

...as projectionists help films.

Note that within the context of your example a DJ is usually only motivated to play an unknown producer's music, not out of the kindness of their own heart, but because the music is good. A DJs only value to the world at large is that they play music that their audience want to hear. They're not doing the artist a favour half as much as they're enhancing themselves as a 'brand'. Frankly, if the music is good and in a playable format, it could be a sort-of vulture squabbling match amongst the DJs as to who gets to break the song first.

Whatever their secondary skills are, DJs won't be, and will never be a substitute for those who actually created the music in the first place.

I think that's Keyboarder's point.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DJs do help music. Example...I am an unknown producer. I want people to hear my tunes. I give my tunes to DJs, they play the tunes, my tunes then become heard. I start getting fans. I have fans, I am now not as unknown as i was.

No wish to be rude but you're as unknown to me now as you ever were - Have you many fans? Just asking as producers aren't that well known for having fans, it seems to be more usually the musicians that the producer produces that gets the fans.

I suppose there is Trevor Horn but isn't he a musician as well?

Perhaps it's a modern thing. I don't follow the Hit Parade as closely as I used to.

I am, in the grand scheme of things, still unknown...it's a fact. I was using the example as an illustration, not what i actually do. I do produce, but no one has my tunes except one of my mates. When I consider myself good enough to give my tunes out, i will.

Nowadays, you get the artist, this can be the songwriter, singer, guitarist, producer etc. Mark Ronson is an artist, he is also a producer, and he plays most of the instruments. Britney Spears is an artist, all she does is sing. One of my favourite artists is Chase & Status, they are a pair of producers, and as far as I am aware, they don't play any instruments on their records.

In years gone past, producers didn't get much attention, it was always the band or front man. But now, with so many bedroom producers (myself included) it is the producer soley that gets the recognition (as they are the only one contributing to the music).

Hopefully made hings little bit clearer.

Whatever their secondary skills are, DJs won't be, and will never be a substitute for those who actually created the music in the first place.

And cheese will never be a substitute for champagne.

I suppose there is Trevor Horn but isn't he a musician as well?

Eh?

Quincy Jones

Brian Eno

Puff Diddy

Holland, Holland & Dozier

Dave Hall

Thingy - Phil Spectre

Steve Cropper

Dr Dre

Silly thing to say.

Quincy Jones, Eno, Dr Dre, Puff Diddy - known to me foremost as musicians

Holland, Dozier, Holland as songwriters

Dave Hall (no idea - Hall & Oates?)

and who the fuck is Steve Cropper?

I'll give you Phil Spector though, so 1/8

And why not include David Bowie as producer of Lou Reed's Transformer album?

Silly thing to write.

Jo Whiley.... oh my yes

She can chatter all she likes as long as she stays amazingly sexy

What????????????????? The Daily mail of radio? The GMTV of radio? She "likes" everything she`s told to like, everythings so "nice" She`s a squinty Dustin Hoffman lookalike in a blonde wig. And there will be no controversy ever again as long as the BBC pay her a nice big cheque every month to keep everything " likable and nice". fuck off robot. Grow some bollocks and stop being that dull bitches sheep!

shes not as bad as fing edith bowman, that woman drives me nuts,

jo is a bit hit or miss, sometimes i cant stand her other times i cant, but will still listern

but some days i just have to turn off when edith bowman is on, god i want to kill her

I am, in the grand scheme of things, still unknown...it's a fact. I was using the example as an illustration, not what i actually do. I do produce, but no one has my tunes except one of my mates. When I consider myself good enough to give my tunes out, i will.

Nowadays, you get the artist, this can be the songwriter, singer, guitarist, producer etc. Mark Ronson is an artist, he is also a producer, and he plays most of the instruments. Britney Spears is an artist, all she does is sing. One of my favourite artists is Chase & Status, they are a pair of producers, and as far as I am aware, they don't play any instruments on their records.

In years gone past, producers didn't get much attention, it was always the band or front man. But now, with so many bedroom producers (myself included) it is the producer soley that gets the recognition (as they are the only one contributing to the music).

Thanks but no not much clearer. I'm not decrying the role of the producer - there is obviously a skill there (Eno as producer for one as Bananaman points out)

What I don,t get is you say Chase & Status (who they?) don't as far as you are aware don't play any instruments on their records - but then how are they artists? Do they sing on their records? If not how are they defined as artists? What do they actually do to make them artists?

You say that bedroom producers,such as yourself, are the only one contributing to the music. I genuinely don't understand. Presumably those making the music have "contributed" to it. You try to make it sound as good as you think possible.

Anyway I've never understood the adulation that these "DJ's" get for playing records. Surely as solely a producer, no matter how good you don't get hordes of fans invading your privacy, asking for autographs etc? Or maybe you do and I'm behind the times

Quincy Jones, Eno, Dr Dre, Puff Diddy - known to me foremost as musicians

No they're not! Musicians? Who has been the biggest earning Record PRODUCER for the last ten years (ish)?

Dr Dre

P Doddy a close second

Quincy - you know full well he's much more famous for his record producing than his musician skills. Name five tracks that were bigger hits for Quincy Jones as a Musician than he was known as a Producer!

Brian Eno Musician - pfftttt! You're just trying to start an argument for the sake of it now!

Streve Cropper - who the fuck is he? I hope you're taking the piss now.

Thanks but no not much clearer. I'm not decrying the role of the producer - there is obviously a skill there (Eno as producer for one as Bananaman points out)

What I don,t get is you say Chase & Status (who they?) don't as far as you are aware don't play any instruments on their records - but then how are they artists? Do they sing on their records? If not how are they defined as artists? What do they actually do to make them artists?

You say that bedroom producers,such as yourself, are the only one contributing to the music. I genuinely don't understand. Presumably those making the music have "contributed" to it. You try to make it sound as good as you think possible.

Anyway I've never understood the adulation that these "DJ's" get for playing records. Surely as solely a producer, no matter how good you don't get hordes of fans invading your privacy, asking for autographs etc? Or maybe you do and I'm behind the times

I think i misslead you, "bedroom producers,such as yourself, are the only one contributing to the music". We only contribute a small amount. Take C&S, they have other session musicians to sing, or rap for them, but on the whole, they have made their music using computers and machinery. They are considered the artists, they get all the credit, with the other session musicians getting a credit on the cd or vinyl or whatever. Now with me...I use my computer and other bits and pieces to create my music, no one else has helped me, so I get all the credit.

C&S produce drum and bass btw http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chase_&_Status

Artists are the people creditted with making the music, be it a singer, producer, band, saxophonist etc. I reckon all stages in music making is an art.

Another example...lots of dance music is creditted to the producer, not the vocalist. The producer has done most of the tune, the vocalist only sings, and the producer records the vocals, effects them, sequences them, writes the tune, programs the drums, records sound effects, and in a lot of the case, writes the lyric aswell.

In addition to this, there are a lot of bands, singers and songwriters that get the credit for the work even though their music has been produced by someone who gets far less credit, if any at all.

I think there is branding which comes into play as well. McFly's tunes are branded with their name because they are the band that played the music. Their music doesn't have the brand of Hugh Padgham (one of their producers). Deadmau5's tunes have his brand on them, not the singer that sang on 'I remember'.

I think there is branding which comes into play as well. McFly's tunes are branded with their name because they are the band that played the music. Their music doesn't have the brand of Hugh Padgham (one of their producers). Deadmau5's tunes have his brand on them, not the singer that sang on 'I remember'.

Love DeadMau5

Is this wrong for a 40 year old to like? Am I trendy or have I un trendied Dead Mau5?

and who the fuck is Steve Cropper?

Possibly the greatest guitarist of all time.

And Producer with Stax along side the massive likes of Isaac Hayes. This is silly really if we're trying to have an argument about music and they haven't heard of Steve Cropper. No excuses. None!

Start again please.

I like Tatu.

The darkhaired one with the cracking voice.

:)

What I don,t get is you say Chase & Status (who they?) don't as far as you are aware don't play any instruments on their records - but then how are they artists?

I guess if they takes bits music (or samples if you like) from disparate sources and programme some drum and other synthesised sounds and make a song, they've not played a note on the record but the record wouldn't exist without them, therefore they must be the artist.

This is silly really if we're trying to have an argument about music and they haven't heard of Steve Cropper. No excuses. None!

Sorry should really say - have a discussion about record producers and what they do and who they work for. The Stax family are a perfect example of how they worked together and so many went on to become record producers.

Archived