I Hate Jo Whiley

thebees

I cannot speak for all of the MF posters but as it is for me, I'm only into music I like, I can tolerate other music (mostly, the fastest guitar player in the world gave me migraines though) and chatter chatter chatter is what forums are for. I don't know what you are saying, I don't get paid to chat shit nor do I claim to be the mother of all new music, where is the irony? I haven't liked a new band for about 2 years - I love this coffee I've made though.

I found it ironic that you were pissed off about her chatting a lot, as you do have a very chattery style of posting yourself. Also the other bit I highlighted was about her going on about being so in to her music, which again is something that comes across a lot in your own posts! I wasn't having a go at you about either of these things by the way, I was merely making the point that I found it strange that these things upset you when to my mind you do them both yourself!

I know you're a forum poster and she's a lunchtime radio dj, but I don't see why a lunchtime radio dj wouldn't be expected to chat a lot and be go on about how great music is either. I'm not a fan of her myself though by the way.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Taking the piss aren't ya? Whiley may well be moving to weekends, but she's being replaced by Fearn "people" Cotton, and she is really really crap. I actually like Whiley, i don't see what you're all moaning about, listen to Quinn on 3fm if ya don't like it, simples.

Edit to say: you're right bout Bowman though.

i hate the way these 'djs' and their controllers get to dictate the taste of the nation, by repeatedly playin the same tunes several times everyday, for weeks before it's even available.

sadly, in a similar way to most people taking their opinions from The Sun, most people take their musical taste from daytime radio.

its all part of the establishments control the people agenda.

ah tell thee.

• 1 month later...
That post could have been written by a 15 year old Slim!

Jo Wiley does my head though, bleating on about being the champion of new music, when all she does is play the latest signing to EMI two weeks before the test of daytime Radio 1.

Another one who gets on my nerves with "I'm the champion of new music" is Steve Lurpak he just does the same thing only with guitar bands on indie labels. The tragedy is he'd actually make a really good mainstream daytime dj - as a broadcaster he's really quite good, personable and interact with his listeners well, let him have a slightly left of centre but still mainstream playlist (which is what he plays anyway) and he'd be ideal for the old Mark and Lard coming home from school/last couple of hours at work slot.

The new John Peel? Well I don't think Kershaw could fill that role, he's certainly passionate about World Music - but could you see him being passionate about the latest US noise band, or techno act, would he be playing dub-step, or Finnish avant-folk.

Radcliffe? Maconnie? Riley? Tom Robinson? all good DJ's in their own way and most with connections to Peel from their times as musicians or radio producers. But their essentially now playing excellent music from the past, and new music from artists of that era with a few modern tracks thrown in.

I think you need to skip that generation and look for someone younger. Rob da Bank made a good fist of presenting the final few John Peel shows that included Sessions Peel booked but died before they were broadcast. And his section of the One Music strand that replaced the Peel show was the strongest. I guess though that it struggled to find an audience because it didn't stay on air for that long - maybe Peel is one the few truly irreplaceable people, the BBC tried to get three people to fill his shoes and failed! But I'd have liked to see da Bank get a longer run at it. I think his window of opportunity has now passed.

I did hear a show at the New Year though that was closest thing musically to a Peel show in a long time - it was an episode of BBC Introducing with Tom Robinson (which is normally a higgledly-piggedly show where Tom plays "stuff my researchers found on myspace" which does uncover the odd gem) where he was joined by Tom and William Ravenscroft who brought in an eclectic mix of styles, most of the bands were new to me. Now Tom Robinson is away on holiday next Saturday and Tom Ravenscroft is deputising. So I think that might be interesting to see if he can carry a show as main presenter.

taste in music aside, just heard her on womans hour talking about her disabled sister and the worries about her long term care - very moving

On the subject of radio people can we all agree that Mark Kermode is ace. And about as Manx as the bee gees so where is his key to Douglas. IOM Film Festival people get him over to do a lecture sometime.

Archived