Ryanair - Online Check-in Fee

manshimajin

I missed this announcement in May as I was in NZ. Ryanair is introducing a fee for passengers who book in 'on-line' of £5/€5 per passenger. I am not sure if this is per flight as the current on-line check-in system checks you into outbound and return flights. I assume that it will be. Presumably as another charge that is added on when you do the booking.

Its a neat little charge as in theory ALL passengers will be required to use online check-in. However if you need the boarding card to be 're-issued' at the airport it will cost £40/€40.

I have just booked an Aer Lingus flight for my wife and self. The return 'flight' cost approx €80 for the two of us. By the time we added on 'taxes and charges', handling fees and luggage it was €340. An interesting little thing I noticed was that the 'taxes and charges' increased if I booked a flight that was more expensive on the same day - so the 9.00 am flight had one lot of taxes and charges and the 12.00 one was double the cost for T&C on the same route.

Booking air tickets is getting more complicated in terms of VFM than buying insurance - so much fine print.

I missed this announcement in May as I was in NZ. Ryanair is introducing a fee for passengers who book in 'on-line' of £5/€5 per passenger. I am not sure if this is per flight as the current on-line check-in system checks you into outbound and return flights. I assume that it will be. Presumably as another charge that is added on when you do the booking.

Its a neat little charge as in theory ALL passengers will be required to use online check-in. However if you need the boarding card to be 're-issued' at the airport it will cost £40/€40.

I have just booked an Aer Lingus flight for my wife and self. The return 'flight' cost approx €80 for the two of us. By the time we added on 'taxes and charges', handling fees and luggage it was €340. An interesting little thing I noticed was that the 'taxes and charges' increased if I booked a flight that was more expensive on the same day - so the 9.00 am flight had one lot of taxes and charges and the 12.00 one was double the cost for T&C on the same route.

Booking air tickets is getting more complicated in terms of VFM than buying insurance - so much fine print.

The sooner those lazy BFs in Trading Standards sort out this fiasco, the better.

And lock up Michael O'Leary at the same time.

G

I’ve never completely understood where all the charges come from.

Does anyone on here know?

Does the size of the plane make a difference?

Does the number of passengers make a difference?

For example - prices do not include the 'seat' price

Flybe Liverpool to IOM

Liverpool–IOM Taxes & charges £23.94

IOM- Liverpool Taxes & charges £35.20 Total £59.14

Ryanair Liverpool To France

Liverpool-Limoges Taxes & charges £32.01

Limoges-Liverpool Taxes & charges £23.96 Total £55.97

EasyJet Liverpool To France

Liverpool-Bordeaux Taxes & charges £19.99

Bordeaux-Liverpool Taxes & charges £incl Total £19.99

Why is there such a variation?

Booking flights online gives you a sense of control that is very rewarding.....

That is until the realisation hits you that with each click of the mouse you are in effect assisting the owners of whichever Airline your using to fleece you of your hard earned.

I simply choose not to fly so often these days!

Imagine that you get in a taxi to go from Douglas to Ramsey. Instead of paying your £40 fare, the driver asks you for

£20 for the fare

£ 5 for the fuel

£ 2 for his vehicle licence

£ 5 for his insurance

£ 5 for his maintenance

£ 3 for miscellaneaous other bills

The airlines are basically doing this. It's all about trying to fish in the customers by quoting the lowest fares.

The tax element is fixed and is the same per flight. The charges all relate to various running costs they are charged by airports. The costs will vary depending on which airport and what time of day you pass through.

The airlines are basically doing this. It's all about trying to fish in the customers by quoting the lowest fares.

It's false advertising, and the OFT and ASA should jump on them and put their gonads in a vice.

S

The thing is its not false advertising, its being "creative" with the truth, the fare really is only a penny and that’s what they advertise. Although new legislation was recently brought in to cover this and now they have to advertise the lowest price with all taxes and charges.

Its not just the airlines trying to fleece everyone though some of the airports are just as bad, Blackpool now charges every passenger to go through security, some thing you have already paid for as part of the taxes and charges applied to your ticket. Liverpool tried to do this but backed down after realising they were on very shaky legal ground, however they now have an optional fast track through security which takes up the majority of security.

Even though flying is shit and you get hit with fees left right and centre it is still generally cheaper and easier than getting the boat, not to mention greener, although I couldn't give a toss about that if I'm honest

I don't actually believe that they do advertise including all compulsory charges and I honestly thought that the legislation was to make the airlines do this.

But, I still don't know how the varying factors relate to the charges.

The size of the plane?

The number of passengers?

The airport of departure?

The airport of arrival?

Two examples of a one way flight from Manchester to Bordeaux on the 3rd August 2009

BA

seat price £144.00

taxes, fees & surcharges of £60.80

http://www.britishairways.com

BMIbaby

seat price £28.54

taxes, fees & surcharges of £24.95

http://www.bmibaby.com

Why is there such a relatively massive variation in taxes, fees & surcharges?

I'm still scratching my head as to how Aer Lingus charges different taxes and charges on the same route at different times on the same day? Weird. Do airports charge different take off and landing fees acording to when you travel`/

(Maybe if I use Head and Shoulders I'll stop scratching my head).

I'm still scratching my head as to how Aer Lingus charges different taxes and charges on the same route at different times on the same day? Weird. Do airports charge different take off and landing fees acording to when you travel`/

(Maybe if I use Head and Shoulders I'll stop scratching my head).

yes they do, the airport has peak usage hours especially airports with no problem in attracting volume, Amsterdam, Heathrow, London City for example can charge more for early morning landing fees than somewhere like liverpool who need to be a little cheaper than their nearest rival airport like manchester.

just like you get a cheaper ryanair flight on a tuesday you can also get a cheaper one in the afternoon rather than the morning, its all supply and demand and based around the per seat costs. The low cost airlines are in effect passing on their own savings so its not all bad. Checkin charges of £40 are ridiculous tho!

yes they do, the airport has peak usage hours especially airports with no problem in attracting volume, Amsterdam, Heathrow, London City for example can charge more for early morning landing fees than somewhere like liverpool who need to be a little cheaper than their nearest rival airport like manchester.

just like you get a cheaper ryanair flight on a tuesday you can also get a cheaper one in the afternoon rather than the morning, its all supply and demand and based around the per seat costs.

Thanks. Aer Lingus were charging more for flights to LHR in the middle of the day (arriving about 13.15) than for flights landing there in the morning (08.00 and 10.00 arrivals). What you say makes sense but AL's charges don't seem to. Caveat emptor...

• 3 weeks later...

RyanAir meets Alton Towers?

click

Free flight - would you stand?

Ryanair, the World’s favourite airline, today (9th July) launched an online poll to ask if passengers would ‘stand’ on short flights if it meant they could travel for FREE, or pay 50% less than seated passengers. Ryanair is gauging passenger demand for its ‘vertical seating’ which will allow passengers to travel – for free – in a secure upright position on short flights of approximately one hour.

Enter our poll now »

vertical_seating.jpg

and

Archived