Rtc Nunnery / Old Castletown Road

Amadeus

If you tried to commute out of Douglas, then you probably noticed already - road by the nunnery is/was closed due to an RTC. Involved a car and a bike, and before I get shot at again, only one pic from further away - at least until details are known - most of the actual scene of the incident is out of shot:

rtc01-1.jpg

Feel free, however, to spot yourself in the stream of cars that were parked all over lower Douglas

rtc02.jpg

rtc03.jpg

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you tried to commute out of Douglas, then you probably noticed already - road by the nunnery is/was closed due to an RTC. Involved a car and a bike, and before I get shot at again, only one pic from further away - at least until details are known - most of the actual scene of the incident is out of shot:

Hopefully not too serious as road now appears to be open again. I do think they do need to look at some measures to reduce speeding along there, as it seems to be a hot spot at present for accidents. I appreciate that this this accident may have nowt to do with speed but that bit of road is getting bad for some people thinking they are Hamilton, Button.

Hopefully not too serious as road now appears to be open again. I do think they do need to look at some measures to reduce speeding along there, as it seems to be a hot spot at present for accidents. I appreciate that this this accident may have nowt to do with speed but that bit of road is getting bad for some people thinking they are Hamilton, Button.

i cant understand how anyone could crash along there, nice flat rd with slow sweeping bends

i cant understand how anyone could crash along there, nice flat rd with slow sweeping bends

Sadly, as a resident nearby, it is all too familiar a hot spot - there was a drunk driver crashed into the archway above the entrance to the Business School only a few weeks ago, a shunt on the Hill by the school a couple of months back, and rather a nasty head on in virtually the same spot last year.

I guess when a road is widened and smoothed over with new tarmac, as virtually the whole road from Leigh terrace to Road island has been over the last 6/7 years, it gives drivers a feeling of more security to speed up.

There are regular Speed Gun patrols in the area but I'm afraid we have ourselves a bit of a racetrack

Is this road our very own Road of Death? (non TT of course, lol,lol....... ; )) Or is this an inaccurate perception, created purely by one of the board's more prolific snapper's residential proximity to it? I'm almost scared to drive down there these days, lol,lol, CARNAGE.......... ; ))

A snapper called Frank got a shot too:

From Manx Radio Website

post-1345-1246399813_thumb.jpg

(nice composition btw)

I guess when a road is widened and smoothed over with new tarmac, as virtually the whole road from Leigh terrace to Road island has been over the last 6/7 years, it gives drivers a feeling of more security to speed up.

That's the problem with improving roads. You make them smoother, wider and iron out the bends, but that encourages people to go faster, making them more dangerous.

Some roads would be safer if they were left unimproved, but then people start asking where their road taxes are going.

Seems the cops don't really need to investigate accidents any more - our forum members have already concluded this one was down to excess speed and an unfeasibly smooth road...

Seems the cops don't really need to investigate accidents any more - our forum members have already concluded this one was down to excess speed and an unfeasibly smooth road...

More likely a filtering/overtaking incident at that time of day.

That's the problem with improving roads. You make them smoother, wider and iron out the bends, but that encourages people to go faster, making them more dangerous.

Some roads would be safer if they were left unimproved, but then people start asking where their road taxes are going.

I wonder what's gone on at the s-bend just after blackboards as you head towards Douglas then?

It was previously unrestricted but with anti-skid tarmac, and now they've replaced the anti-skid stuff with your standard tarmac and stuck a 50mph limit in there for all of a couple of hundred yards in the middle of an unrestricted bit.

Err no. I started the reference to excess speed on that section of road and I specifically stated "that this accident may have nowt to do with speed but that bit of road is getting bad for some people thinking they are Hamilton, Button"

Most posts after that do not relate or refer to the specific accident but how that particular road presently appears to be a hot spot for speeding and accidents. That is speeding and accidents not accidents because of speeding. Good knee jerk reaction though.

No, you have concluded they have.

Archived