Rtc Nunnery / Old Castletown Road

Amadeus

So now it is illegal,

No, be default it's not

From your own quote

On the day that it becomes illegal to take pictures of police engaged in counter-terrorist operations

I don't think a RTC, in Amadeus' example, is a counter-terrorist operations

what about the IOM?

It's not illegal here either. If it was do you think a board moderator would break the law by posting illegal photos on the board? Do you think IOM Newspapers and Manx Radio would also deliberately break the law by also publishing them?

It is illegal, under certain circumstances, and that mainly depends on where you are, what you are photographing, and who is doing the policing.

You said it wasn't illegal at all at first, then you changed your mind after you googled.

All I'm asking is if the same laws apply over here.

Oh and why would a board mod not break the law, especially if they may not even be aware of the law?

And you omitted the other line from the Gaurdian quote:

– in practice a ban on taking pictures of the police

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You said it wasn't illegal at all at first, then you changed your mind after you googled.

I didn't change my mind or Google anything. As a keen amateur photographer with a "professional" camera I've had that site I quoted from in my bookmarks for ages, as knowing what's what has saved me from too much hassle from over keen security guards, etc, in the past.

The Guardian quote is stupid, how is a ban on taking photos of police engaged in counter-terrorist operations a blanket ban on all police photography?

The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for the Home Department (UK) made it quite clear didn't he, is that too hard for you to understand?

Edit to add - Amadeus has also spoken to the police while photographing the scene of an RTC. He wasn't arrested and I think he knows that law on that subject quite well enough.

I didn't change my mind or Google anything. As a keen amateur photographer with a "professional" camera I've had that site I quoted from in my bookmarks for ages, as knowing what's what has saved me from too much hassle from over keen security guards, etc, in the past.

The Guardian quote is stupid, how is a ban on taking photos of police engaged in counter-terrorist operations a blanket ban on all police photography?

The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for the Home Department (UK) made it quite clear didn't he, is that too hard for you to understand?

Edit to add - Amadeus has also spoken to the police while photographing the scene of an RTC. He wasn't arrested and I think he knows that law on that subject quite well enough.

You said it wasn't illegal at first so something changed your mind.

I understand the law, I don't know whether it applies over here or not, neither do you it seems.

I think that you'll also find that despite the lofty words of Mr Malik some over zealous police officers have arrested people for taking innocent photographs, like I said, it depends on where you are, what you are photographing, and who is doing the policing. But you and your Malik quote know different so that's ok.

The change in UK law re police photos has raised some concerns, but I think in real life it's mostly a common sense thing. Cops these days know that they are being watched by trigger happy media, so the chances of one arresting you because you just snapped him standing on the pavement are probably slim - know the law and be friendly usually helps as well.

The armed fuzz outside Obama's hangout in London could have objected to their pic being taken, as it would be hard to argue that they were not "engaged in counter-terrorist operations", but they were friendly enough, did their checks, had a bit off a chat, and on the question "Could I take a few pics of you & your car", had no objections.

Obama05.jpg

In fact, most cops (certainly all the ones I encountered) were very clued up on photo laws, acted friendly and in a professional manner - it's the halfwits in hiviz jackets with "Security" printed on the back that usually give you problems - had a few short arguments with some of them, but ultimately just ignored them.

Not sure about that particular law applying over here, but as a best guess I'd say not in the current form - but then, with the countless anti terrorism operations being staged on the IOM all the time, that may well change :rolleyes:

You said it wasn't illegal at first so something changed your mind.

Nothing has changed my mind. It's not generally illegal to take a photo of a police officer unless it could be proved useful to terrorists

I understand the law, I don't know whether it applies over here or not, neither do you it seems.

I seem to have exactly the same understanding the law as Amdeus, Manx Radio, IOM Newspapers, etc. Do you seriously think they'd publish the photo if it was illegal?

I think that you'll also find that despite the lofty words of Mr Malik some over zealous police officers have arrested people for taking innocent photographs,

They have also had their wrists slapped for being over zealous and plain wrong and in some cases paid compensation. They also can't legally demand that you delete any photos or hand over any memory cards

like I said, it depends on where you are, what you are photographing, and who is doing the policing.

Erm, I think I said something quite similar a while back in my first reply to you - "It can depend why you took the photo and what you intend to use it for". Are you now agreeing with me that there isn't a blanket ban as suggested by your Guardian quote?

Erm, I think I said something quite similar a while back in my first reply to you - "It can depend why you took the photo and what you intend to use it for". Are you now agreeing with me that there isn't a blanket ban as suggested by your Guardian quote?

No you did not, in your first reply you said you didn't think it was illegal in the UK, I linked the Gaurdian article then you changed your tune.

I seem to have exactly the same understanding the law as Amdeus, Manx Radio, IOM Newspapers, etc. Do you seriously think they'd publish the photo if it was illegal?

Amadeus has said that he doesn't know whether the law applies over here, so what is your understanding? I don't know about Manx Radio or IOM Newspapers and I don't know whether the law applies over here and in what form.

Personally I don't give a damn because I don't go round taking photos of the police, I knew there had been a change in the law and wondered whether or not it applied over here. Despite your professional camera, Malik quote and MR / IOM back up I still don't know what the law is over here, and neither do you.

No you did not, in your first reply you said you didn't think it was illegal in the UK, I linked the Gaurdian article then you changed your tune.

FFS, I haven't changed my tune. It's not illegal to take photos of the police except in very specific circumstances

Your Guardian quote says "On the day that it becomes illegal to take pictures of police engaged in counter-terrorist operations"

The bold bit is the illegal circumstances. I understand that, do you?

You then quoted a crappy scaremongering piece of shit from the Guardian - "in practice a ban on taking pictures of the police" - which is absolute nonsense. Barely a month later Ian Tomlinson was pushed to the ground by police at the G20 protests and died shortly after. The media ( TV, newspapers and website) were full of video and photos of the police.

Amadeus has said that he doesn't know whether the law applies over here, so what is your understanding? I don't know about Manx Radio or IOM Newspapers and I don't know whether the law applies over here and in what form.

Which law are you specifically talking about? The non existent law banning all photography of police or the insertion of section 76 into the Counter-Terrorism Act 2008 which does cover the Isle of Man?

I still don't know what the law is over here, and neither do you.

I do know that it's not illegal to take photos of the police unless it comes under the circumstances of section 76

FFS, I haven't changed my tune. It's not illegal to take photos of the police except in very specific circumstances

Your Guardian quote says "On the day that it becomes illegal to take pictures of police engaged in counter-terrorist operations"

The bold bit is the illegal circumstances. I understand that, do you?

You then quoted a crappy scaremongering piece of shit from the Guardian - "in practice a ban on taking pictures of the police" - which is absolute nonsense. Barely a month later Ian Tomlinson was pushed to the ground by police at the G20 protests and died shortly after. The media ( TV, newspapers and website) were full of video and photos of the police.

Which law are you specifically talking about? The non existent law banning all photography of police or the insertion of section 76 into the Counter-Terrorism Act 2008 which does cover the Isle of Man?

I still don't know what the law is over here, and neither do you.

I do know that it's not illegal to take photos of the police unless it comes under the circumstances of section 76

Childish stubborn pair of pillocks

Archived