Nutcase On Mountain Road

Matt Bawden

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm in no way condoning the obvious lunatic antics of the driver in question here, but those 20mph and 50mph limits are excessive.

When the grit first goes down, fine, but as the days pass they need to incrementally increase the limits to more sensible 30mph and 40mph figures, as there's bugger all grit left on the road, and you're just left with a procession of cars travelling at 20mph over a pristine new driving surface.

As for the massive 50mph 'feeder' zone on either side, I have no idea what that's intended to accomplish at all.

I concur with the other posts.

1) Glad you & your passenger are ok. Had it been much worse then neither of you may have been here to tell the story

2) Well done for reporting (not sure who wouldn't in that situation) but the more people take the time to do this, perhaps the reckless drivers will realise that they can be reported.

I reported someone recently. Where I would perhaps usually have a rant about it but not take it any further, I suddenly thought how I would feel should the person who was trying to find his mobile phone & make a call whilst he had a child in the car with him, actually hit someone else or knock another child down. I don't know what the outcome was as it was TT week but I'd like to think that a visit from the boys in blue was enough to give him something to think about.

Again, well done & glad you're ok - if a little shaken :-)

You cant however you can buy one 4 x$ where x is the number stay home mums with rich husbands are willing to spend.

back on topic, glad it wasn't serious, had you been driving something a little less robust or not had your whits about you who knows what might have happened. I would defiantly agree that reporting is the right thing to do.

but those 20mph and 50mph limits are excessive.

As for the massive 50mph 'feeder' zone on either side, I have no idea what that's intended to accomplish at all.

It doesn't matter whether you think they're excessive or not. They are there so you should obey.

The buffer zone is to get you travelling at a safe speed before you get to the 20 zone. The idea being that you can simply decelerate rather that have to lash on your anchors. Remember that at peak times there are often lines of vehicles travelling over the mountain and slowing you down in stages is better than having everyone braking for 70 down to 20.

Until the road has been swept, there will always be little piles of loose chippings. The 20 limit is in place until these have either been bedded in or swept up. Don't assume its safe just because you think it is.

Whilst in a white 4WD and hire van driving from Douglas to Ramsey over the mountain road on Tuesday 30th June 2009 at approx. 9.30 in the morning, my colleague and I observed the 20mph speed limit at the verandah four bends and the start of the mountain mile, this seemed to irk the black Lexus driver behind us somewhat and she desperately wanted to overtake but those damn cars coming the other way and blind bends prevented her doing so successfully.

We then left the 20mph limit and entered the 50mph limit, we accelerated to approx. 45mph and she seemed to be happy travelling at 30mph ish, then from out of what seemed nowhere the red mist descended upon her and she became Mad Max and overtook and then cut in front of me, but she forgot to take the considerable length of the vehicle into consideration (or she intended) and hit the drivers side front wing and drivers front wheel on our van, I had to take drastic measures when we felt and heard the almighty bang so as not to go off the edge of the mountain, whereas the Mad Max impersonator sped up and drove off with her chassis contorting this way and that, she managed to keep it on the road, feck knows how!!!....and we stopped to get our S**t together and inspect the damage before proceeding to Ramsey police station to report the incident, complete with registration...so if you are her reading this, it's only a matter of time before you get a knock at the door lady!!

Now, I am by no means a driving angel, but this person needs educating one way or another and will be the cause of a potential death.....there were two cars driving up the mountain mile from Ramsey to Douglas at this time, if anyone reading this was one of those drivers can they please contact Ramsey Police station. Many thanks.

Manics like this should get their licences taken from them

1) Glad you & your passenger are ok. Had it been much worse then neither of you may have been here to tell the story

2) Well done for reporting (not sure who wouldn't in that situation) but the more people take the time to do this, perhaps the reckless drivers will realise that they can be reported.

I reported someone recently. Where I would perhaps usually have a rant about it but not take it any further, I suddenly thought how I would feel should the person who was trying to find his mobile phone & make a call whilst he had a child in the car with him, actually hit someone else or knock another child down. I don't know what the outcome was as it was TT week but I'd like to think that a visit from the boys in blue was enough to give him something to think about.

I totally agree, but unfortunately it does'nt seem to happen like that. I myself reported someone because he very nearly killed me and my baby, he was on wrong side of the road on a bend, i had to swerve and slam on my breaks, this particular lad is known to the police for driving like a dick but they cant or wont do anything about it. In my eyes the law is a joke, the police do little to help in certain situations, which makes the likes of me and many others not bother to phone the police when crimes happen so it actually looks like the crime rate isnt so bad. The police are shit!!!

......better than having everyone braking for 70 down to 20.

Don't you mean braking down from 35 to 20???

Until the road has been swept, there will always be little piles of loose chippings. The 20 limit is in place until these have either been bedded in or swept up. Don't assume its safe just because you think it is.

I have not seen any "piles" of loose chippings for some days now, I also have not seen anyone "obeying" anything at all on that stretch of road let alone the rest of the roads!

The only positive about these works was you couldn't see the the level of incompetence of most drivers crossing the centre line on most corners, until they added the new lines of course!!!

but those 20mph and 50mph limits are excessive.

It doesn't matter whether you think they're excessive or not. They are there so you should obey.

The buffer zone is to get you travelling at a safe speed before you get to the 20 zone. The idea being that you can simply decelerate rather that have to lash on your anchors. Remember that at peak times there are often lines of vehicles travelling over the mountain and slowing you down in stages is better than having everyone braking for 70 down to 20.

You're right about the actual area that's gritted but the size of the 50mph is definitely excessive, and possibly even counterproductive as it's so early and as you continue through it without actually coming to any roadworks for a long time I would imagine that a lot of people are probably speeding up again when they're in it. I'm not condoning people who do that but I would have thought that the 50mph zone could start a lot later without creating any safety implications.

I totally agree, but unfortunately it does'nt seem to happen like that. I myself reported someone because he very nearly killed me and my baby, he was on wrong side of the road on a bend, i had to swerve and slam on my breaks, this particular lad is known to the police for driving like a dick but they cant or wont do anything about it. In my eyes the law is a joke, the police do little to help in certain situations, which makes the likes of me and many others not bother to phone the police when crimes happen so it actually looks like the crime rate isnt so bad. The police are shit!!!

This is very disappointing. I'm now thinking that my reporting may not have come to much & when you read situations like yours, you start to think 'what's the point?'. I do hope that this is not the case & that the police do take these seriously.

Whilst in a white 4WD and hire van driving from Douglas to Ramsey over the mountain road on Tuesday 30th June 2009 at approx. 9.30 in the morning,Now, I am by no means a driving angel, but this person needs educating one way or another and will be the cause of a potential death.....there were two cars driving up the mountain mile from Ramsey to Douglas at this time, if anyone reading this was one of those drivers can they please contact Ramsey Police station. Many thanks.

Manics like this should get their licences taken from them

It was probably your wife, you do live in Ramsey don't you toady .

I'm not sure you'd feel the same way if you were prosecuted because someone reported you for something you hadn't done.

Archived