Nutcase On Mountain Road

Matt Bawden

I totally agree, but unfortunately it does'nt seem to happen like that. I myself reported someone because he very nearly killed me and my baby, he was on wrong side of the road on a bend, i had to swerve and slam on my breaks, this particular lad is known to the police for driving like a dick but they cant or wont do anything about it. In my eyes the law is a joke, the police do little to help in certain situations, which makes the likes of me and many others not bother to phone the police when crimes happen so it actually looks like the crime rate isnt so bad. The police are shit!!!

I'm not sure you'd feel the same way if you were prosecuted because someone reported you for something you hadn't done.

I agree Slim, but they know he's doing it, when the police phoned me back they said they know him, what he does and how he endangers everyones lives on the road....But until he kills someone hey!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Whilst in a white 4WD and hire van driving from Douglas to Ramsey over the mountain road on Tuesday 30th June 2009 at approx. 9.30 in the morning,Now, I am by no means a driving angel, but this person needs educating one way or another and will be the cause of a potential death.....there were two cars driving up the mountain mile from Ramsey to Douglas at this time, if anyone reading this was one of those drivers can they please contact Ramsey Police station. Many thanks.

Manics like this should get their licences taken from them

It was probably your wife, you do live in Ramsey don't you toady .

yes we live in the North but my wife doesn't drive a Lexus

Whilst in a white 4WD and hire van driving from Douglas to Ramsey over the mountain road on Tuesday 30th June 2009 at approx. 9.30 in the morning,Now, I am by no means a driving angel, but this person needs educating one way or another and will be the cause of a potential death.....there were two cars driving up the mountain mile from Ramsey to Douglas at this time, if anyone reading this was one of those drivers can they please contact Ramsey Police station. Many thanks.

Manics like this should get their licences taken from them

It was probably your wife, you do live in Ramsey don't you toady .

yes we live in the North but my wife doesn't drive a Lexus

So she stole the Lexus then?

but those 20mph and 50mph limits are excessive.

As for the massive 50mph 'feeder' zone on either side, I have no idea what that's intended to accomplish at all.

It doesn't matter whether you think they're excessive or not. They are there so you should obey.

The buffer zone is to get you travelling at a safe speed before you get to the 20 zone. The idea being that you can simply decelerate rather that have to lash on your anchors. Remember that at peak times there are often lines of vehicles travelling over the mountain and slowing you down in stages is better than having everyone braking for 70 down to 20.

Until the road has been swept, there will always be little piles of loose chippings. The 20 limit is in place until these have either been bedded in or swept up. Don't assume its safe just because you think it is.

It's that kind of 'blind to reality' nonsensical approach to the law that tends to tip your average person into disobeying it in the first place.

How long does it take to transition from no limit, to 50mph, to 20mph? Not three miles, that's for sure.

I'd like to think that anyone smart enough to pass their driving test is also smart enough to know what the big black numbers in the red and white circles mean, as such, something more traditional such as 'ROAD WORKS 500 YARDS AHEAD' and then a 20mph zone would work just as well, or at a push, a few hundred yards of 50mph, then the the 20mph zone, it's good enough for the TT, so why not any other time?

As has already been noted, all that happens in situations of total overkill such as this, is 90% of people end up completely ignoring the speed limits, which ends up making the road more dangerous, not less.

As has already been noted, all that happens in situations of total overkill such as this, is 90% of people end up completely ignoring the speed limits, which ends up making the road more dangerous, not less.

:thumbsup:

Matt, Have you heard anything back from the Police? Hope they don't sit on their hands. This sort of motorist behaviour needs to be stamped on.

Where can you buy a Lexus for 4 dollars?

You can buy them as Toyotas in Japan - not for $4 but for a darn lot less than a bit of badge engineering seems to add to their cost here. The Japanese know how to cash in on US and European vanity (as you may know LEXUS = Luxury EXport to US) - definitely Lexus drivers are pretty gullible thinking a Toyota with leather seats is some sort of super-car. Not knocking Toyotas which are excellent and reliable cars just as good as the badge engineered export versions.

Matt, Have you heard anything back from the Police? Hope they don't sit on their hands. This sort of motorist behaviour needs to be stamped on.

Yeah...I got a phone call this morning from an officer at ramsey taking some more details.....my concern is that although the incident did occur as I and my colleague reported, there may be a lack of evidence to supprt it, I don't wish the person to be crucified, as I am definitely no angel myself, I just hope that the person is taken to court and made an example of....as she was of an age where she should have known better than to drive like a lunatic....whereas the youth, while very erratic are ignorant and have that feeling of indestuctability about them and we were all young and stupid once, I am in no way condoning mental driving at any age, just merely pointing out that there is a difference in attitudes or atleast there ought to be.

Where can you buy a Lexus for 4 dollars?

You can buy them as Toyotas in Japan - not for $4 but for a darn lot less than a bit of badge engineering seems to add to their cost here. The Japanese know how to cash in on US and European vanity (as you may know LEXUS = Luxury EXport to US) - definitely Lexus drivers are pretty gullible thinking a Toyota with leather seats is some sort of super-car. Not knocking Toyotas which are excellent and reliable cars just as good as the badge engineered export versions.

Yeah...I got a phone call this morning from an officer at ramsey taking some more details.....my concern is that although the incident did occur as I and my colleague reported, there may be a lack of evidence to supprt it, I don't wish the person to be crucified, as I am definitely no angel myself, I just hope that the person is taken to court and made an example of....as she was of an age where she should have known better than to drive like a lunatic....

Matt, just remember when you are feeling generous that she drove on having hit you and damaged your vehicle. Bad driving is one thing but bad driving with a 'don't care if I killed them' attitude deserves crucifixion. Frankly people like her deserve to be hung out to dry for the sake of all the rest of us.

IMO if you don't get satisfaction from the Ramsey police take it up the line. Did the Ramsey feds say if they had inspected her car for damage? Hopefully they will have knocked on her door and given her a very hard time. What is happening re insurance?

Reporting seems to be a waste of time. Unless the police see it happen themselves then they can/will do nothing more than speak to the driver. All the driver has to say is, "my driving was not dangerous" and nothing further will happen. Not even if three other unconnected drivers report the same driving. That's only my experience though. You could probably record their shit driving on a dash camera and it would still lead to nothing. Punishment only comes if someone dies and then they set forensics on your ass, or if you are reported BY the police for some driving offence (most likely speeding where there is an innapropriate speed limit), or if you forget to move your car from a time zone. As there seem to be daily near death experiences on the mountain perhaps daily 8am and patrols 5pm would be worthwhile.

As the public's word counts for nothing when reporting driving offences, a string of cctv cameras on the mountain would be handy, but no still speed limit, just for use against lunatic drivers - when they are spotted by an operator or reported by the pubic.

Rant over, can anyone recount reporting a driver and this ending in sucessful action?

Reporting seems to be a waste of time. Unless the police see it happen themselves then they can/will do nothing more than speak to the driver. All the driver has to say is, "my driving was not dangerous" and nothing further will happen. Not even if three other unconnected drivers report the same driving. That's only my experience though. You could probably record their shit driving on a dash camera and it would still lead to nothing. Punishment only comes if someone dies and then they set forensics on your ass, or if you are reported BY the police for some driving offence (most likely speeding where there is an innapropriate speed limit), or if you forget to move your car from a time zone. As there seem to be daily near death experiences on the mountain perhaps daily 8am and patrols 5pm would be worthwhile.

As the public's word counts for nothing when reporting driving offences, a string of cctv cameras on the mountain would be handy, but no still speed limit, just for use against lunatic drivers - when they are spotted by an operator or reported by the pubic.

Rant over, can anyone recount reporting a driver and this ending in sucessful action?

Rant or no rant its actually true. Makes me sick, have we got a working police force or not!

Rant or no rant its actually true. Makes me sick, have we got a working police force or not!

Unfortunately knowing is one thing, proving is another....our police force on the whole can only do what is in their power, they are enforcers of the law not makers of the law, I'd like something done about this person but wether anything worthwhile will result is beyond my control....

..I remember once when I was travelling from Brandywell Cottage to Douglas along the west baldwin road on a saturday morning, I actually got to within 200yards of west baldwin when an ambulance came at me doing a mental speed, apparently answering a 999 call, the ambulance was on my side of the road and I had nowhere to go except tinto the manx stone wall, there were no sirens or lights flashing...they didn't stop to see if I was ok....I had to pay £150 for a new tyre cos the old one burst on impact and had to fibre glass the dents.....I had to inform the police as instructed by DHSS estates manager ( I was only after reimbursement of the tyre)......they told me they would take measurements and photos, which they did, they then told me they weren't taking it any further and that they ambulance driver and colleague had stopped and could see through my rear window that I was ok...I informed the police officer that the ambulance driver and his colleague must have x-ray vision as my rear window was mirrored glass and that to make an accurate assessment of my well being from that distance through mirrored galss was impressive and that whatever they were getting paid surely wasn't enough for possessing such amazing skills and abilities, the police officer concerned merely stated it was my word against his and didn't even raise a smile in response to my sarcasm.......so I don't really hold much hope of anything substantial resulting from my complaint....ah well...thing is if the laws aren't re-addressed people may start to take the law into their own hands and wether we like the police or not, they are necessary.

.I informed the police officer that the ambulance driver and his colleague must have x-ray vision as my rear window was mirrored glass and that to make an accurate assessment of my well being from that distance through mirrored galss was impressive and that whatever they were getting paid surely wasn't enough for possessing such amazing skills and abilities, the police officer concerned merely stated it was my word against his and didn't even raise a smile in response to my sarcasm.

Really? No sense of humour some people. I would have been rolling around in hysterics, clutching my stomach with uncontrolled laughter at your wit.

Perhaps he was just concentrating on doing his job or deep into contemplation as to why anyone would have mirrored glass in their rear window

Archived