Nutcase On Mountain Road

Matt Bawden

Reporting seems to be a waste of time. Unless the police see it happen themselves then they can/will do nothing more than speak to the driver. All the driver has to say is, "my driving was not dangerous" and nothing further will happen. Not even if three other unconnected drivers report the same driving. That's only my experience though. You could probably record their shit driving on a dash camera and it would still lead to nothing. Punishment only comes if someone dies and then they set forensics on your ass, or if you are reported BY the police for some driving offence (most likely speeding where there is an innapropriate speed limit), or if you forget to move your car from a time zone. As there seem to be daily near death experiences on the mountain perhaps daily 8am and patrols 5pm would be worthwhile.

As the public's word counts for nothing when reporting driving offences, a string of cctv cameras on the mountain would be handy, but no still speed limit, just for use against lunatic drivers - when they are spotted by an operator or reported by the pubic.

Rant over, can anyone recount reporting a driver and this ending in sucessful action?

Rant or no rant its actually true. Makes me sick, have we got a working police force or not!

Unfortunately knowing is one thing, proving is another....our police force on the whole can only do what is in their power, they are enforcers of the law not makers of the law, I'd like something done about this person but wether anything worthwhile will result is beyond my control....

..I remember once when I was travelling from Brandywell Cottage to Douglas along the west baldwin road on a saturday morning, I actually got to within 200yards of west baldwin when an ambulance came at me doing a mental speed, apparently answering a 999 call, the ambulance was on my side of the road and I had nowhere to go except tinto the manx stone wall, there were no sirens or lights flashing...they didn't stop to see if I was ok....I had to pay £150 for a new tyre cos the old one burst on impact and had to fibre glass the dents.....I had to inform the police as instructed by DHSS estates manager ( I was only after reimbursement of the tyre)......they told me they would take measurements and photos, which they did, they then told me they weren't taking it any further and that they ambulance driver and colleague had stopped and could see through my rear window that I was ok...I informed the police officer that the ambulance driver and his colleague must have x-ray vision as my rear window was mirrored glass and that to make an accurate assessment of my well being from that distance through mirrored galss was impressive and that whatever they were getting paid surely wasn't enough for possessing such amazing skills and abilities, the police officer concerned merely stated it was my word against his and didn't even raise a smile in response to my sarcasm.......so I don't really hold much hope of anything substantial resulting from my complaint....ah well...thing is if the laws aren't re-addressed people may start to take the law into their own hands and wether we like the police or not, they are necessary.

For what exactly???

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
..I remember once when I was travelling from Brandywell Cottage to Douglas along the west baldwin road on a saturday morning, I actually got to within 200yards of west baldwin when an ambulance came at me doing a mental speed, apparently answering a 999 call, the ambulance was on my side of the road and I had nowhere to go except tinto the manx stone wall, there were no sirens or lights flashing...they didn't stop to see if I was ok....I had to pay £150 for a new tyre cos the old one burst on impact and had to fibre glass the dents.....I had to inform the police as instructed by DHSS estates manager ( I was only after reimbursement of the tyre)......they told me they would take measurements and photos, which they did, they then told me they weren't taking it any further and that they ambulance driver and colleague had stopped and could see through my rear window that I was ok...I informed the police officer that the ambulance driver and his colleague must have x-ray vision as my rear window was mirrored glass and that to make an accurate assessment of my well being from that distance through mirrored galss was impressive and that whatever they were getting paid surely wasn't enough for possessing such amazing skills and abilities, the police officer concerned merely stated it was my word against his and didn't even raise a smile in response to my sarcasm.......so I don't really hold much hope of anything substantial resulting from my complaint....ah well...thing is if the laws aren't re-addressed people may start to take the law into their own hands and wether we like the police or not, they are necessary.

See, I believed you before. Now I doubt the truthfulness of your original complaint.

Reporting seems to be a waste of time. Unless the police see it happen themselves then they can/will do nothing more than speak to the driver. All the driver has to say is, "my driving was not dangerous" and nothing further will happen. Not even if three other unconnected drivers report the same driving. That's only my experience though. You could probably record their shit driving on a dash camera and it would still lead to nothing. Punishment only comes if someone dies and then they set forensics on your ass, or if you are reported BY the police for some driving offence (most likely speeding where there is an innapropriate speed limit), or if you forget to move your car from a time zone. As there seem to be daily near death experiences on the mountain perhaps daily 8am and patrols 5pm would be worthwhile.

As the public's word counts for nothing when reporting driving offences, a string of cctv cameras on the mountain would be handy, but no still speed limit, just for use against lunatic drivers - when they are spotted by an operator or reported by the pubic.

Rant over, can anyone recount reporting a driver and this ending in sucessful action?

Rant or no rant its actually true. Makes me sick, have we got a working police force or not!

Unfortunately knowing is one thing, proving is another....our police force on the whole can only do what is in their power, they are enforcers of the law not makers of the law, I'd like something done about this person but wether anything worthwhile will result is beyond my control....

I am never getting a lift with you.

well, that one has pulled me out of the woodwork!

Just to update everyone, the matter was indeed, reported, logged and followed up. It was a Douglas - registered vehicle and is being dealt with by a Douglas officer.

Most of you will remember me as the head of roads policing. I now look after the North of the Island, so have the Mountain Road on my patch, effectively up to the Bungalow.

In terms of the resurfacing speed limits - the alternate was to shut the road as in the past. THe DOT have listened to people, and put statutory limits in place with the proper orders for the duration. Speed limits can't be changed around and made variable at a whim unfortunately. If they could then I am sure the DOT would have done. the minor inconvenience of transiting that section at 50/20/50 beats the long way round with the coast road, so it is in everyone's interest to adhere to them.

A little while ago, I did an audit of sixty-five reports that had been made to my station about driving on the Mountain Road. In every case, there was an outcome. Where we could trace a vehicle, the very least that happened is that the driver received a visit and some words of advice. In respect of R Plate transgressors reported in - every one of them gets a one-to-one hour long session with me personally. It takes time, but the payback so far has been no repeat reports. At least not of the ones i've dealt with.

Never, ever, hesitate to report something - even if we only have enough for a few words of advice, it might just be the words that makes someone think twice and not catch you coming the other way on the day it all goes wrong for them. I've been to too many fatal and serious collisions and dealth with too many families to stop caring. That is the ethos I try and instil in my team, and I think I am getting there.

Just pick up the phone, and pass us the details. We'll involve you in what the outcome should be, and then see to the rest. If you don't get the service you think you should be doing - ring me personally at Ramsey Police station, and I'll sort it.

Derek

Nice one Del!

I agree that the lads at Ramsey do a cracking job. About a year ago my bike broke down early in the morning on the way to work. I was just above Guthries in high wind and fully loaded with luggage. The camber on the road meant that I had to stop in the opposite carriageway so I was stuck in a precarious position.

I quick call to the station had one of Derek's stormtroopers up on the mountain protecting the scene and then helping me manhandle the bike so it was facing downhill. He then followed as I coasted down and parked up in a safe place before dropping me back home to call the breakdown truck.

It is nice to know that the guys and gals will help out if needed.

.I informed the police officer that the ambulance driver and his colleague must have x-ray vision as my rear window was mirrored glass and that to make an accurate assessment of my well being from that distance through mirrored galss was impressive and that whatever they were getting paid surely wasn't enough for possessing such amazing skills and abilities, the police officer concerned merely stated it was my word against his and didn't even raise a smile in response to my sarcasm.

Really? No sense of humour some people. I would have been rolling around in hysterics, clutching my stomach with uncontrolled laughter at your wit.

Perhaps he was just concentrating on doing his job or deep into contemplation as to why anyone would have mirrored glass in their rear window

You must be an absolute hoot to live with........He'd already done his job and the lada cossack was bought with the mirrored glass, I mainly used the vehicle for my fields and horses..not that thnat has anything to do with being forced off the road......

See, I believed you before. Now I doubt the truthfulness of your original complaint.

Don't know what you are on about, what do you mean?

Most people who know me past a couple of emails call me Del. It also helps the national shortage of R's and K's.

And to L with the national shortage of letters between K and M ?

believe me - I've been called a lot worse in my line of work :D

Del, in the present circumstances as reported at the start of the thread is there an offence of 'failing to stop at the scene of an accident' that can be applied? I find it disturbing that someone may contribute to an incident that could result in serious injury or worse and simply drive off.

Certainly people do panic but if Matt has recorded the situation correctly (which I am sure he has) this sounds more like aggressive driving leading to forcing someone off the road. Aggression and the Mountain Road (any road!) do not mix. I am delighted that you act on reprts of dangerous driving.

Keeping to a speed limit is often really difficult with drivers trying to push up your tail - what is Police advice in these circumstances? I find it happens a lot with HGVs in Ireland when entering a town/village speed limit. Having fully laden container trucks sitting closer and closer to one's rear is neither comfortable nor safe - but if I accelerate I may get booked for exceeding the speed limit.

Keeping to a speed limit is often really difficult with drivers trying to push up your tail - what is Police advice in these circumstances? I find it happens a lot with HGVs in Ireland when entering a town/village speed limit. Having fully laden container trucks sitting closer and closer to one's rear is neither comfortable nor safe - but if I accelerate I may get booked for exceeding the speed limit.

I find ignoring them and driving at the speed you wish to usually helps. People worry far too much about what's going on behind them which often leads to not concentrating on what's going on in front (you know, the direction you're actually travelling).

Try driving in France if you like people up your chuff, they couldn't get more impatient if they tried.

Archived