[BBC News] Tynwald considers £29m for school

Newsbot

With the school not going to be ready for 3 more years what was the point in putting in all the traffic lights on Hilberry road then covering them all up?

They will probably be useless by July 2012.

Is £30 million good VFM? If it is and if Tynwald OK the money hope that there is a strict cap placed on how much can be spent - no overspends. Be a miracle though!

Worth every penny if it helps tomorrow's citizens.

That is slightly different to my query - it is essential to invest in education but I wondered if £30 million was a reasonable amount to pay for the works to be done. We seem to have had so many departmental projects that cost much more than their equivalent in the UK and which have overrun budgets dramatically. £30 million (better to call it £29.6 million for PR) just sounds a large amount of taxpayer money.

I found some UK figures for building environmentally sustainable schools that suggest for 800 pupils the cost would be about £8.5 million plus fitting out costs. I also came across information that Debyshire CC are budgeting to build a school for 900 with similar facilities to those proposed here (not sure about playing fields) and with community use - cost expected to be £17 million.

The school itself will only cost £2 million - the rest of the money is needed for the attached runway and monorail terminal.

I sometimes wonder of competitive tendering here means the highest bid wins - particularly if it can squeeze out another £13 million of taxpayer funds in doing so?

With the school not going to be ready for 3 more years what was the point in putting in all the traffic lights on Hilberry road then covering them all up?

And totally unnecessary anyway. They shouldn't be doing anything to make travel to school easier for vehicles carrying parents and children to the school. They should be putting every obstacle in the way to vehicular traffic, so that they walk to school. Nowhere in Onchan is further than 2 miles away from the new school and easily walkable.

All those lights will do is jam up Onchan every morning.

I found some UK figures for building environmentally sustainable schools that suggest for 800 pupils the cost would be about £8.5 million plus fitting out costs. I also came across information that Debyshire CC are budgeting to build a school for 900 with similar facilities to those proposed here (not sure about playing fields) and with community use - cost expected to be £17 million.

This is the Isle of Man price fella, don't blame us, we have to get the school delivered and if it wasn't for the steam packets charges we'd be a lot cheaper. Look I don't care if you saw it the school at half the price from DFS, if you want to order it from there then go ahead, but if your school goes wrong then you're not going to get the personal local service to fix it are you?

Sorry wrong thread.

And totally unnecessary anyway. They shouldn't be doing anything to make travel to school easier for vehicles carrying parents and children to the school. They should be putting every obstacle in the way to vehicular traffic, so that they walk to school. Nowhere in Onchan is further than 2 miles away from the new school and easily walkable.

Hang on a minute.

You are bemoaning making it easier to use cars and then bitching that the lights will 'jam' up Onchan. Make your mind up.

Plus, the lights are crossing points for pedestrians. WTF has that got to do with making it easier to travel by car?

£30million sounds quite reasonable when you look at the UKs costings, generally building costs over here are 30-50% higher depending on what your after. Plus the school will be well thought out well designed and of much better overall quality than a UK school. Also it wont be founded buy a big fat private loan sill will cost a hell of a lot less in the long term.

Also does it matter if it costs 60m if it offers kids a decent education?

Just had a look on the internet and it turns out that for just £50,000 they can build a school of similar size in Africa.

This is the Isle of Man price fella, don't blame us, we have to get the school delivered and if it wasn't for the steam packets charges we'd be a lot cheaper. Look I don't care if you saw it the school at half the price from DFS, if you want to order it from there then go ahead, but if your school goes wrong then you're not going to get the personal local service to fix it are you?
£30million sounds quite reasonable when you look at the UKs costings, generally building costs over here are 30-50% higher depending on what your after. Plus the school will be well thought out well designed and of much better overall quality than a UK school. Also it wont be founded buy a big fat private loan sill will cost a hell of a lot less in the long term.Also does it matter if it costs 60m if it offers kids a decent education? Just had a look on the internet and it turns out that for just £50,000 they can build a school of similar size in Africa.

Quite right. Mea culpa. Why get it for 70% less than you can squeeze out of us taxpayers. I'm going off to put in a higher bid!!!

Hang on a minute.

You are bemoaning making it easier to use cars and then bitching that the lights will 'jam' up Onchan. Make your mind up.

Plus, the lights are crossing points for pedestrians. WTF has that got to do with making it easier to travel by car?

The lights also appear to be to stop traffic at the various junctions. Not just pedestrian crossings. Once they are switched on, there will be queues at each junction, queues which largely do not exist now.

The lights are no doubt intended to give easier vehicle access to the school - they won't actually work, because congestion will ensue. My point was that this was the chance of the Board of Education to deter cars from driving to school, not putting in measures to make it "easier" (although it won't be) Do we detect the leaden hand of DOT somewhere in this?

Archived