Colonial Rule Restored - In The Carribean

Cronky

You couldn't make this up:

The Times: Corruption allegations see Britain near control of Turks & Caicos

Britain took the first step towards seizing control of a number of Caribbean islands yesterday despite international criticism of a “return to colonialism”.

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office said that the Governor of the Turks & Caicos Islands was appointing a series of experts to help him to run the territory and to prosecute its corrupt politicians.

The Governor Gordon Wetherell was expected to seize control of the islands last month after the planned publication of a final report into allegations of corruption. A navy frigate on patrol in the Caribbean, HMS Iron Duke, would have been on stand-by to offer support as British investigators, lawyers and administrators arrived to replace the elected Parliament.

I am speechless at the utter hypocracy.

Clever ploy

Your own country is going to shit so divert anti government sentiment by making a fuss and taking over somewhere else to 'sort out a mess'.

Galtieri in the Falklands.......

Mind you sorting corrupt politicians is a good idea, shame it isn't done closer to home.

Gunboat dimplomacy.........

You couldn't make this up:

The Times: Corruption allegations see Britain near control of Turks & Caicos

Britain took the first step towards seizing control of a number of Caribbean islands yesterday despite international criticism of a “return to colonialism”.

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office said that the Governor of the Turks & Caicos Islands was appointing a series of experts to help him to run the territory and to prosecute its corrupt politicians.

The Governor Gordon Wetherell was expected to seize control of the islands last month after the planned publication of a final report into allegations of corruption. A navy frigate on patrol in the Caribbean, HMS Iron Duke, would have been on stand-by to offer support as British investigators, lawyers and administrators arrived to replace the elected Parliament.

I am speechless at the utter hypocracy.

I am delighted to see this, and so, I am sure, are most of the islanders.

A few years ago a poll of Jamaicans showed that most felt the place was far better run when it was a colony.

Cue predictable howls of outrage from the PC brigade.

S

A few years ago a poll of Jamaicans showed that most felt the place was far better run when it was a colony.

S

Yes, they must really long for the days of Colonel Thomas Hobbs' response to the Morant Bay insurrection. :ph34r:

I've just looked that up.

Horrific.

Something else school history lessons didn't cover.

it really is amazing how little you actually get taught in history, just the same re hashed crap

wikipedia has taught me more than school ever did

Hardly news. I seem to recall the Governor dismissing the Australian parliament or some such shenanigans. There's some unfit or unable to rule clause - Tinpotwald take note.

S

How much difference is there in terms of exploitation and oppression when you could either be ruled by a few men in some far-off country or have some corrupt guys from nearere home doing it?

S

How much difference is there in terms of exploitation and oppression when you could either be ruled by a few men in some far-off country or have some corrupt guys from nearere home doing it?

A huge diffeence. Ask any Zimbabwean.

In the sixties, malaria had been eradicated along most of the East African coast. Now it's a huge problem again.

The difficulty is simply that most colonies were given independence before there was a sufficiently large and educated middle class to run things properly and ensure stability.

S

Archived