Positive Iom News

Amadeus

I sincerely apologise in advance for posting links to not one, but three recent articles of a positive nature. I shall immediately ban myself for a week for this blatant breach of posting etiquette:

Isle of Man triumphs again

Once again the Isle of Man has figured prominently among the annual awards meted out to offshore financial centres and their financial institutions.

Isle of Man retains its position in offshore elite

The Isle of Man remains firmly in the premier league of offshore centres, despite a challenging past 12 months.

Isle of Man: where the TT race, 'queenies' and seals are the Manx attractions...

Hurrah!

I have ordered my servants to prepare a celebratory banquet and I shall this day order a fine new hat.

We are truly an Island of smug boasters

Unlike the English who are modest because thay have a great deal to be modest about.

I'm English and proud of it (as most people are proud of their identity)

What do you have to be proud about?

Unlike the English who are modest because thay have a great deal to be modest about.

I'm English and proud of it (as most people are proud of their identity)|. Don't really think about it that much until some smug twat insults us for no good reason.

Why would someone do that - trying to stir up tension where there is none?

I'm English and proud of it (as most people are proud of their identity)

What do you have to be proud about?

How long have you got? Just for starters on a topic that might interest you, homosexuality was decriminalised in the UK long before it was in the IOM

How long have you got? Just for starters on a topic that might interest you, homosexuality was decriminalised in the UK long before it was in the IOM

Oh ok, you're proud of the government? I just don't get the whole national pride thing that's all. Doesn't make sense to me.

Oh ok, you're proud of the government? I just don't get the whole national pride thing that's all. Doesn't make sense to me.

It doesn't make sense to me to denigrate a nation as your previous post did (Yes alright SA under apartheid and other evil regimes) England (say UK) is not perfect but there is a lot to be proud of in being English (and I will make no excuses for it),as there is pride in being Manx etc.

It's only when that ugly nationalism is mistaken for pride in one's country (BNP etc) that there is cause to worry.

Yes I am proud that my country took on Hitler, proud of our acheivements in science, the arts, sports,national character etc.

A lot of Manx people I have spoken to have taken pride in Mr Cavendish's cycling acheivements and the Island Games successes. You don't get the national pride thing? doesn't make sense to you? well you are missing out. Your loss.

It doesn't make sense to me to denigrate a nation as your previous post did

I've denigrated a nation? What are you talking about?

(Yes alright SA under apartheid and other evil regimes) England (say UK) is not perfect but there is a lot to be proud of in being English (and I will make no excuses for it),as there is pride in being Manx etc.

It's only when that ugly nationalism is mistaken for pride in one's country (BNP etc) that there is cause to worry.

Yes I am proud that my country took on Hitler, proud of our acheivements in science, the arts, sports,national character etc.

A lot of Manx people I have spoken to have taken pride in Mr Cavendish's cycling acheivements and the Island Games successes. You don't get the national pride thing? doesn't make sense to you? well you are missing out. Your loss.

It just seems like an extremely selective way of thinking.

Pride in one's country is about nationalism though. Don't you think so?

Well I mean, I am Manx, but I don't know Cavendish, he just happens to be born on the Island. If he were family it would be different.

Archived