Geoff Cannell

sam_iom

What to do with Geoff Cannell  

62 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An interesting thread.

I can see the newspaper headline or Manx Radio News Item:

"A Manx Internet Chat Room has voted that Geoff Cannell [. . . . . . .]"

If I was Geoff, I'd get all me mates to vote me back and publish the results quick.

Maybe a bit like Manx Net Forums crowned this Manx Radio presenter:

Click here - about 6 paragraphs down the page

Speaking as a member of the media, I have had no complaints about how Geoff carried out his duties, nor did the staff in the TT press office. His contract as the full time Press office expired last year and the DTL decided that a full time press officer was no longer required, hence the recent advert for a person to provide media service before, during and after the TT.

The DTL had no problems with Geoff taking photos from the start line or around the paddock as he was also chatting to the competitors, which provided lots of information for his press releases.

As to him carrying out the role of press officer & anchorman for radio TT, this was no different to what Peter Kneale did for many years.

Manx radio’s reasons can only be guessed, however talking to other broadcasters and members of the media in the press office no one that I spoke to could understand the reasons apart from the “new broom” making changes, as Geoff had never allowed either role to interfere with the other.

Whilst people may not like him, he could not be faulted as the Press officer.

(Off thread)

A successful year was crowned when (RIP) Manxnet Forum Users voted him DJ of the Year.

Did we?

I don't remember that, did anyone keep a copy?

Stav.

Mmmhh yes, of course, Manx.Net Forums has gone now hasn't it.

I remember John Upstream was voted the most entertaining, witty and informative poster. 2 years running I think it was.

Speaking as a member of the media, I have had no complaints about how Geoff carried out his duties, nor did the staff in the TT press office.

Manx radio’s reasons can only be guessed, however talking to other broadcasters and members of the media in the press office no one that I spoke to could understand the reasons apart from the “new broom” making changes, as Geoff had never allowed either role to interfere with the other.

Ah, citing inside knowledge and making sweeping statements whilst hiding behind a pseudonym...

You're not Geoff Cannell are you?

no complaints about how Geoff carried out his duties, nor did the staff in the TT press office.....

The DTL had no problems with Geoff taking photos from the start line....

Funny, I heard plenty of adverse comments in the TT Press Centre this year

Your knowledge is not as accurate as you believe it to be. I suggest you have not been privy to the post event meetings that others have been privy to.

And what is this continual confusion over subjective and objective criticism. The posts here have nothing to do with the person himself. The posts here are objective statements about what he does - NOT the kind of person he is. You appear to be mixing the two. Somebody else I once knew used to o the very same thing.

You're not Geoff Cannell are you?

No folks I'm not Geoff, not that you'll believe that!

Old Git I admire your crystal ball,

"Funny, I heard plenty of adverse comments in the TT Press Centre this year "

Mr Peters, read again please I did not cite inside knowledge, merely views expressed by other journalists and broadcasters. Perhaps you don’t speak to other members of the press but a lot of your colleges do, so if I did cite inside knowledge it would be coming from a an insider!

Rox, obviously I don’t know what meetings you’ve been to, but I have had meetings with the DTL and SEU so …….

As we now seem to be talking about why Geoff Cannell is no longer an “A” list TT personality I think we need to remember why Manx Radio decided to remove him from the main commentary team. I believe this was all made public last year following Mr Cannell’s item in the local press.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but it all seemed to come to a head when a very well known TT rider was killed, the media, Manx Radio/Radio TT included, found they where given little or no information as to what was going on. This seemed to be due to the fact that the Senior Press Officer, Geoff Cannell, was unavailable to produce a press release as he was on-air working for Radio TT. After some pressure from the other media, Geoff Cannell then disappeared from the Radio TT airwaves so he could retake his position as the press officer!

It’s my understanding, from talking to people, he would not let anyone else release any information or even issue a statement, without his consent, a classic conflict of interest, Geoff Cannell was both the media gamekeeper and poacher.

The journalist side of Geoff would be looking to the press officer for a statement, whilst his press officer side possibly had information, but was trying to control its release, (does that make any sense)?

If Geoff had let the other members of the press office have control of events during the time he was broadcasting I think he would still be in the job, (possibly both jobs). I understand the late Peter Kneale used to do it this way, especially in later years when getting up and down from the control tower was difficult for him.

I didn’t hear Geoff talking on Manx Radio last weekend but it seems a desperate last-ditch attempt at getting his old broadcasting job back.

I for one enjoyed the new commentary last year, sure it was not as knowable as Geoff but it was the guys’ first attempt and it must have been very daunting. I think it can only get better.

I wonder if Geoff has read through some of the comments here? Sure, he’s got a following, but the saying “no ones is indispensable” seems to apply.

Archived