Tynwald Day Live Broadcast

BBC IOM

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Channel 504 on Sky is BBC Parliment. It has never shown the oldest Parliment in the world in action, yet it shows the Welsh, Scottish, NI and Lords, so that tells me how much they are bothered about the Island.

But Tynwald doesn't allow cameras in does it? Can't blame the BBC for that.

Webcams were introduced into Tynwald some years ago, kb.

Regarding Tynwald Day, if you ask local people it is likely that you will find the majority have been to Tynwald Day on average about once, and that was when they were a child. There are a few die-hard locals go year in year out but the majority of the crowd seem to be mainly recent inhabitants to the Island and visitors. This time next year they will be doing what the rest of the locals do and that's go down the pub or sit in the garden or something.

Personally I rather enjoy watching the procession in its piety as it makes its way to the hill. There are indeed some good people make their way up there but by God, there are some rather and very dodgy people as well.

Don't watch it then.

What's up with everyone this week?

Exactly. People who promote the briliiance of living on the Island (so much better than the UK) who then take the piss out of it's tradition and heritage (needles in eyes, paint drying etc). Why?

OK Tynwald may be not the most absorbing spectacle but as D says don't watch it if you don't want to (it's not compulsory viewing in any sense) but there are people who are interested. It may even raise our profile a bit for those who feel we are ignored.

A lot of us have absolutely no desire to watch a bunch of self-aggrandising, puffed-up, aresholes strutting around liking to think what important and superior beings they are.

I hope it rains. Hard. And then more. Even harder.

With lightning striking everywhere and hideous trolls bursting out of the ground to tear the screaming 'dignitaries' apart, followed by fire elementals incinerating the whole area.

Oooh how would the BBC report that?

With lightning striking everywhere and hideous trolls bursting out of the ground to tear the screaming 'dignitaries' apart, followed by fire elementals incinerating the whole area.

Oooh how would the BBC report that?

Minor incident at tynwald day - probably

Why would you hope a shit bank holiday on everyone?

Sorry, should have been more specific. I wish the worst on some of those sitting the hill, sunshine and 35C everywhere else.

Archived