Tynwald Day Live Broadcast

BBC IOM

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Peel based fire-engine (on the edge of the fair field doing a bit of public relations) was suddenly called away to a traffic incident (on Peel road between Sandhouse + Peel cemetery - seems to have involved a bike) towards the end of the ceremony - not sure if seen on broadcast but it certainly fouled up the buses back. I do wish the commentary removed some of the nonsense that spouted each year.

• 2 weeks later...
The longevity is not all, but it's not an insignificant part: it represents some form of stability and civility in a world which is often anything but.

You think? I don't see how Tynwald represents stability and civility. The Island's history is one of nations competing for control over the Island, of Lords of Mann effectively ruling the Island as Kings, and later Governors doing the same thing. The only thing that seems apparent is simply a continuity of 'peculiar' system of representation.

My understanding is that, based on the support of the people, Tynwald had intended to give the vote to all women rather than only to those with property, and that the compromise was only made because Royal Ascent would not have been granted to a bill to give all women the vote. The point is that Tynwald was willing to blaze a trail on such an important issue, rather than simply trailing in the wake of its larger neighbour.

My understanding was that the House of Keys only changed their minds about allowing the Keys to be elected was because they would have control over the Insular finances. That does put a dampener on the nice idea of the Isle of Man being progressive.

I was very careful to say 'parliamentary traditions' rather than 'parliamentary democracies'. Clearly no system existing in reality is perfect, and most tend to evolve as civilisation itself evolves: Tynwald itself has been no exception to this. However, I think our history and traditions are worthy of celebration.

Evolution is something more related to biology. Not to do with how society and politics has changed.

the at times acrimonious relationship between the Island and Westminster 1651-1895 is very well covered in the recent book by C. W. Gawne (kit gawne) "The IoM and Britain Controversy 1651-1895"(ISBN 0-95540-438-2) - the period later than this is covered by R D Kermode"Offshore Island Politics" which looks at the 20th C and the gradual transfer of some power back to the Island.

the at times acrimonious relationship between the Island and Westminster 1651-1895 is very well covered in the recent book by C. W. Gawne (kit gawne) "The IoM and Britain Controversy 1651-1895"(ISBN 0-95540-438-2) - the period later than this is covered by R D Kermode"Offshore Island Politics" which looks at the 20th C and the gradual transfer of some power back to the Island.

Oh right. I'll definitely have to buy that then. I have Kermode's 'Offshore Island Politics' but I am more interested in the Atholl period.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived