[BBC News] Charity push for injured TT men

Newsbot

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A sponsored sidecar push around the TT race course in aid of an injured sidecar duo raises about £3,000.

Source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/...man/8135115.stm

There's a few pictures posted up here from the Sidecar Push http://www.iomtt.com/Home/Forum/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=175563

Looks like the weather wasn't too kind to them though. But all said and done, a nice amount raised ;)

A sponsored sidecar push around the TT race course in aid of an injured sidecar duo raises about £3,000.

Why?

Question 1: Will you give me some money for these people who were injured racing in theTT?

Question 2: Will you give me some money for these people who were injured if I push a sidecar round the TT course?

I assume they asked the first question before they asked the second? Personally, speaking I wouldn't give to either but I would be considerably less irritated if someone just asked me quesiotn 1, tbh. Just - why?

Why?

Question 1: Will you give me some money for these people who were injured racing in theTT?

Question 2: Will you give me some money for these people who were injured if I push a sidecar round the TT course?

I assume they asked the first question before they asked the second? Personally, speaking I wouldn't give to either but I would be considerably less irritated if someone just asked me quesiotn 1, tbh. Just - why?

Why? Read the link.

1 It was sponsored, so yes.

2 I think the answer to question 1 answers question 2.

You've said you wouldn't give to either, so why are you irritated? and why would someone have to exclusively answer question 1 for you, when the answer is in the link provided?

To be quite honest, I for one don't care what you think, or that you're irritated by these fundraising events and I know that everyone who is supporting these fundraising events doesn't care that it irritates you either.

If people want to give to any fundraiser, no matter what the cause, that's up them, nobody twists their arm and nobody forces them to do it, obviously though, people feel strongly enough about these fundraising events to support them.

Thanks

Mark

Why?

You've said you wouldn't give to either, so why are you irritated? ........To be quite honest, I for one don't care what you think, or that you're irritated by these fundraising events and I know that everyone who is supporting these fundraising events doesn't care that it irritates you either.

If people want to give to any fundraiser, no matter what the cause, that's up them, nobody twists their arm and nobody forces them to do it, obviously though, people feel strongly enough about these fundraising events to support them.

Thanks

Mark

In my opinion, these injuries are self-inflicted. If you must push something round the TT course could it not be a hospital bed for children with leukaemia, for instance? I am very sorry these people are in pain and hope they make a speedy recovery but they can't seriously be asking for people to contribute to the outcome of their recklessness in taking part in such a dangerious sport. They knew the risks and chose to take them. The people who benefit from the charity I mentioned have no choice in being in their situation.

Edited to add: I believe the prudence of taking part in dangerous sports and then requesting donations in the light of subsequent injuries has already been covered here in another thread.

I don't have a problem with these sort of charity events around the TT course.

But we did encounter the side car push at the top of the Ballahutchin on Saturday morning and the biggest problem was trying to get round the amount of support vehicles. Fortunately the team pushing the sidecar took a rest at Crosby church which was good and there was a guy helping the flow of traffic, but we reckon there was at least 6 vehicles nose to tail following the push and they where the biggest obsticle to traffic flow.

Why?

Why? Read the link.

1 It was sponsored, so yes.

2 I think the answer to question 1 answers question 2.

You've said you wouldn't give to either, so why are you irritated? and why would someone have to exclusively answer question 1 for you, when the answer is in the link provided?

To be quite honest, I for one don't care what you think, or that you're irritated by these fundraising events and I know that everyone who is supporting these fundraising events doesn't care that it irritates you either.

Thanks

Mark

I read the link, and what it says is the money being scrounged is to finance jollies for their mates. I'm with Gilly on this one

The TT provides enjoyment and employment for a large proportion of the IOM population. They are therefore beneficiaries of the "dangerous sport", so it's not unreasonable to solicit donations from them.

S

In my opinion, these injuries are self-inflicted. If you must push something round the TT course could it not be a hospital bed for children with leukaemia, for instance? I am very sorry these people are in pain and hope they make a speedy recovery but they can't seriously be asking for people to contribute to the outcome of their recklessness in taking part in such a dangerious sport. They knew the risks and chose to take them. The people who benefit from the charity I mentioned have no choice in being in their situation.

Edited to add: I believe the prudence of taking part in dangerous sports and then requesting donations in the light of subsequent injuries has already been covered here in another thread.

Yes it's been covered in another thread but you brought it into this thread.

Like I said if people want to set up fundraisers it's up to them, if people want to support them, it's up to them.

If you want to set up a bed push for children with Leukemia I'm sure it will be well supported. If you do set it up give me a call as I'm sure we'll all gladly help with it.

Domino Wrote

I read the link, and what it says is the money being scrounged is to finance jollies for their mates. I'm with Gilly on this one

I can assure you that is not the case.

The TT provides enjoyment and employment for a large proportion of the IOM population. They are therefore beneficiaries of the "dangerous sport", so it's not unreasonable to solicit donations from them.

S

Er, the TT provides employment (for 2 weeks?) for a very limited number of people and perhaps a boost in income for shops/the tourist industry during that short time. As a Manx tax payer and full time worker - all year round, I was never asked whether I wished to support the event or not but had it thrust upon me - and tolerate the road closures, queues, added hassle etc., with mostly good humour . I do not, however, feel beholden in any way to provide financial aid for people who choose to take part in it, presumably for financial gain, and then get injured. What did they expect? Out of interest, does anyone know the cost of policing and hosting the event?

Edited to add: Government to probe true cost and benefit of TT: http://www.iomtoday.co.im/tt/Government-to...cost.5338545.jp

"THIS year's TT festival will cost £2.8million to stage - but exactly how much does it contribute to the Manx Economy?"

Mark, I'm sorry but the previous thread got bogged down in bitching from the motorcycle community so the issue that puzzles me was not addressed...

1. As a Manx Tax Payer I help pay for the TT, which costs the Island an awful lot to stage, part of that cost I would have thought would be to deal the costs resulting from the inevitable accidents (possibly through insurance).

2. As a payer of Manx National Insurance I am contributing to the hospital treatment, sick pay and any benefits the lads may claim.

Yet you are asking me to contribute charity. I am confused, surely, everything is covered either by the vast sums the Government throws at the TT or benefits the lads are entitled to as Manx citizens through the NHS and DHSS?

Now I don't think you are doing this on a whim, but I'm just don't understand why you need to, since there must be other uses for your time.

S

Er, the TT provides employment (for 2 weeks?) for a very limited number of people and perhaps a boost in income for shops/the tourist industry during that short time. As a Manx tax payer and full time worker - all year round, I was never asked whether I wished to support the event or not but had it thrust upon me - and tolerate the road closures, queues, added hassle etc., with mostly good humour . I do not, however, feel beholden in any way to provide financial aid for people who choose to take part in it, presumably for financial gain, and then get injured. What did they expect? Out of interest, does anyone know the cost of policing and hosting the event?

Instead of going on about it, just don't bother putting anything into the bucket. Some people wish to contribute and others such as yourself don't. They haven't held a gun to anybodys head and demanded cash.

Archived