[BBC News] Charity push for injured TT men

Newsbot

I let competitors stay at my house year round,they come over usually for the weekend to brush up on their knowledge of the track.Look at the amount of bikers who visit outside of the racing period.As for all the slobbering about the fundraising ,if you have nish positive to say maybe it would be better saying nothing at all...

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Instead of going on about it, just don't bother putting anything into the bucket. Some people wish to contribute and others such as yourself don't. They haven't held a gun to anybodys head and demanded cash.

Exactamundo. Nobody has to donate.

I thought we all already did contriibute through taxes (and NI - see Declan's post). Furthermore, we suffer enough disruption to getting round on Manx roads as it is, with bike racing, rallying, cycle races etc., Why hold up the traffic even more with a bike push round the TT Course? Sorry, the bike might be King in your world but to a lot of Manx people it's a bloody nuisance and a not inconsiderable disruption to our work and family life that we do our best to work around and tolerate gracefully. You're not the only people living here you know!

There's seems to be an assumption that as long as it's to do with bikes, you can do what you want and the rest of us should shut up, fit in and be bloody grateful for it. To me, the whole bike/TT thing is a massive who cares, and going round eliciting money from people for injured riders is, quite frankly, a bloody cheek. If, as you say, people are happy to donate then refer back to my first post where I suggested you simply ask them instead of causing more disruption and annoyance to people and get your donations that way.

I let competitors stay at my house year round,they come over usually for the weekend to brush up on their knowledge of the track.Look at the amount of bikers who visit outside of the racing period.As for all the slobbering about the fundraising ,if you have nish positive to say maybe it would be better saying nothing at all...

That doesn't answer my question, not surprising given the attitude of the biking community, where any question is met with aggression, but surely one of them can answer a simple question - Why do they NEED to raise this money?

My Father-in-law and my two Brother-in-laws helped out on Saturday and also took their Mini moto Sidecar around with them to raise a bit more cash, there are some good photos on the TT website and looks like it was a good day.

Nicks son came to the Creg for my 30th Birthday on Saturday Night and despite everythinghe going through he seems to be enjoying himself which is great to see.

That doesn't answer my question, not surprising given the attitude of the biking community, where any question is met with aggression, but surely one of them can answer a simple question - Why do they NEED to raise this money?

The money goes towards travel costs and accommodation for those visiting the men who are being treated in Liverpool.

They're both in Liverpool at the moment, so we have people going across to see them and this money will help with travel costs and somewhere to stay.

:huh: My wallet is staying in my pocket

The money goes towards travel costs and accommodation for those visiting the men who are being treated in Liverpool.

They're both in Liverpool at the moment, so we have people going across to see them and this money will help with travel costs and somewhere to stay.

One of them is from the UK. The other is from the Island and I think you'll find the people the website refers, means his immediate family, wife and children.

One thought of mine, is when there's a brand spanking new £120million + hospital, why is there the need to send injured riders away for treatment ??....Yes some would say the facilities aren't right on the IOM !! but to spend that kind of ££££.. then still end up sending people across..would it not be more cost effective to have the specailists there ??..oh hang on a bit of rational thinking there ..

One of them is from the UK. The other is from the Island and I think you'll find the people the website refers, means his immediate family, wife and children.

And isn't there a contingency fund or an insurance scheme?

I think it reflects very badly on the TT organisation, and the Isle of Man, that two of the event's biggest stars have to resort to what is essentially begging to get the care they need in the event of a bad racing accident. It's mercenary.

I'm sure that the people involved would prefer it that way rather than take money of some spiteful miserable c*@t like you. Who the f@*k are you to question anything about this situation. If people want to give fine, if they don't then they won't.

What some tight-fisted spanner like you thinks about it is, I would guess, largely irrelevant when compared to the other issues the families are having to deal with.

I'm confused, surely it would have been easier for them to start the engine up and ride the sidecar round rather than push it, plus it wouldn't have held traffic up for too long either :lol:

So says Matt Bawden, the man who is about as funny as throat cancer :lol:

As most of you are probably aware, I am not a fan of the races. However, I cannot understand why some people are getting so angry about the fund raising for these guys. If they feel so strongly that they should not benefit from fund raising then the simple solution is that they don't contribute. Nobody is forcing them to pledge their support- but in the meantime those who oppose should stop complaining about the charity work and leave those who wish to help in peace to continue with their efforts.

As most of you are probably aware, I am not a fan of the races. However, I cannot understand why some people are getting so angry about the fund raising for these guys. If they feel so strongly that they should not benefit from fund raising then the simple solution is that they don't contribute. Nobody is forcing them to pledge their support- but in the meantime those who oppose should stop complaining about the charity work and leave those who wish to help in peace to continue with their efforts.

Probably the most sensible post you have made so far, out of 252.

Archived