[BBC News] Manx politicians hear grievances

Newsbot

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fine. But is anybody obliged to look at the grievances and do something about them?

No one is obliged to pick up a petition.

Should they be picked up a select comitte looks into the grievance and thier report is put before Tynwald

In tha case of the petition I submitted nine years ago, on the unfairness and inconsistency of the parking permit regulatiions in relation to my VW bus, the petition was picked up and the select committe agreed with me

The committe's report was debated in Tynwald and found in my favour 18 votes to 6 (I think, check the Hansard)

The result was that the DOT did FUCK ALL other than to add campervans to their list of proscribed vehicles, arrogant twats that they are.

I hope this petition will have a better outcome

Is that why I frequently see your "truck" parked illegally around town? Although to be fair I have not seen it for a month or so.

I do not know if you are going to stand again for election as an MHK but if you are could I suggest you rectify this matter, because as a member of the electorate it does not give me confidence to vote for an individual who apparently already thinks themselves above certain laws that apply to the rest of us. Many already believe becoming an MHK goes to a persons head and see themselves above the rest of us so it is probably not the best to give that impression before hand.

The result was that the DOT did FUCK ALL other than to add campervans to their list of proscribed vehicles, arrogant twats that they are.

As with most years the majority of them seem to be personal grievances so should be rightly ignored. I don't know the detail but Butch's one about the rating system may be an exception to this and worth picking up.

I have a different view which is that I thought that basically you petitioned when in effect you had exhausted all other avenues to correct a perceived wrong. Things like a change in government policy on whatever I am not sure are grievances even if a good idea.

As an example I would give petition for free preschool places. If an individual had petitionted that it was unfair that they had to pay for a preschool place as in there area as there was no "government" provided preschool whereas somebody down the road did not I thought that was a reasonable petition to be picked up. If you are petiioning for a change of law on principal then I am not sure it is.

The above actually is the case in Crosby as if kids go to the local preschool group they have to pay but if they put them in at St Johns it is free

Ultimately most petitions are surely about free publicity for the petioner as I do not see why you need to petition rather than take it up with your MHK or the relevent minister

A good point.

Few if any of these petitions will ever be heard. Not only will it take a willing MHK to take up the cause there will need to be a seconder in order that any motion regarding the petition can be debated, then if the debate is convincing enough it will take a majority to agree to set up a select committee to look into the matter. Not over yet, as the conclusions of a select committee need to be considered.

The much lauded presenting of a Petition of Grievance on Tynwald Day is far, far from a panacea.

A good point.

Few if any of these petitions will ever be heard. Not only will it take a willing MHK to take up the cause there will need to be a seconder in order that any motion regarding the petition can be debated, then if the debate is convincing enough it will take a majority to agree to set up a select committee to look into the matter. Not over yet, as the conclusions of a select committee need to be considered.

The much lauded presenting of a Petition of Grievance on Tynwald Day is far, far from a panacea.

It's the sort of showy froth our MHKs like.

We really need an ombudsman to redress grievances properly

Is that why I frequently see your "truck" parked illegally around town?

My parking places only became "illegal" when the DOT decided to "Illigalise" them in a bid to tax the motorist yet again by herding everyone into it's car parks, they were fine before that

The Government already makes fortune out of motorists in road tax, vat on car servicing and parts plus millions in fuel duty, as if this wasn't enough they have now turned parking fines into another revenue stream

No doubt the next move will be speed camers positioned on safe stretches of road with an unreasonably low speed limit

How about they Fuck Off and stop milking the motorist

I am not sure to reply by suggesting either you obey the relevent laws, until you can persuade the relevent parties that they should be changed, in which case you won't get fined if caught or that instead I should just to come to your burger bar and when you deliver the bill suggest you Fuck Off and stop Milking the customers.

I am not sure to reply by suggesting either you obey the relevent laws, until you can persuade the relevent parties that they should be changed, in which case you won't get fined if caught or that instead I should just to come to your burger bar and when you deliver the bill suggest you Fuck Off and stop Milking the customers.

Unlike the DOT I cannot force people to come into my burger bar and then milk them

In common with all small businessmen I have to run an efficient business and charge a competetive price for my product

A concept totally unfamiliar to the cosseted employees of government

Unlike the DOT I cannot force people to come into my burger bar and then milk them

In common with all small businessmen I have to run an efficient business and charge a competetive price for my product

A concept totally unfamiliar to the cosseted employees of government

Well I've got a mate who is a government employee, who is quite familiar with the concept of a free market

Ma heeds spinnin' wi' all these quotes within quotes within quotes when a simple reply would have been quite sufficient.

Archived