Delays! - Biker Off On The Ballabeg - Grenaby Road

Fossils

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Happened about half an hour ago. The biker slid off and is not too badly hurt, but the traffic may be held up as the S100 Practice is on, and this is the main detour route..

As the injured biker lay in the road waiting for the ambulance and professional medical attention (the extent of his injuries had not been diagnosed and movement could have caused further damage) some impatient and callous drivers demanded for him to be moved out of the way so that they could get through. A driver from a local taxi firm was particularly keen to make a quick exit. My other half was present, and offered them good advice on "where to go" - and the injured party remained where he fell until the ambulance arrived a few minutes later.

It is sobering to think that you might expect this kind of reaction to a victim of accident or crime on the adjacent islands, but the selfishness is already here, now, on a country road near you. Don't fall down in the road or they'll be fighting to drag you out of the way, or drive over you.

roadrage.jpg

It is sobering to think that you might expect this kind of reaction to a victim of accident or crime on the adjacent islands, but the selfishness is already here, now, on a country road near you. Don't fall down in the road or they'll be fighting to drag you out of the way, or drive over you.

Daft, is anyone in that much of a hurry?

But then where are half of them from?............

Where, here or in England?

........and is that the head half or the feet half?

Must be the feet half as they can't use their brains so they should be walking. :P

It is sobering to think that you might expect this kind of reaction to a victim of accident or crime on the adjacent islands, but the selfishness is already here, now, on a country road near you.

Oh I don't know. On the mainland it's unlikely that the alternative route has been closed for yet more bike stuff. I sympathise to a certain extent. There seems to be an awful lot of inept bikers around causing traffic jams with their inability to stay on their vehicle of choice.

On Sunday I had an accident at the bottom of the Ballamoda Straight where the road crosses the Silverburn.

A man towing a trailer behind a tractor to the the airport construction site spread hydraulic fluid on the road all the way from St John's through to Ballasalla before it was spotted. Our car skidded on the oil, swerved several times and then did a 180 degree spin onto the verge where it was held from dropping over the edge by some fortunately very strong bushes. The fact that the rear wheel was on a branch over a 10 foot drop made me realise how lucky I had been. A canvas roof would not be much protection if we had gone over the edge.

As we emerged from the car a motorcyclist with his son riding pillion came off on the same oil and fortunately only hit the Silverburn bridge wall at a slow speed. Most importantly they, my wife and our Japanese visitor were shaken but fine.

The reason for mentioning this situation is just to say how incredibly kind and thoughtful other motorists were as well as the adjacent home owner and the Police. A couple took our friend and my wife back home and the Police helped me organise a tow out from the brink whilst also controlling traffic and getting the DoT onto dispersal of the oil. The guy with the trailer also came back as he had heard down at Ballasalla that there had been a problem by the Silverburn (he is being summonsed for the spill).

Not all motorists on the Island are thoughtless and only interested in themselves - thank goodness!

img1341ctj.jpg

On Sunday I had an accident at the bottom of the Ballamoda Straight where the road crosses the Silverburn.

A man towing a trailer behind a tractor to the the airport construction site spread hydraulic fluid on the road all the way from St John's through to Ballasalla before it was spotted. Our car skidded on the oil, swerved several times and then did a 180 degree spin onto the verge where it was held from dropping over the edge by some fortunately very strong bushes. The fact that the rear wheel was on a branch over a 10 foot drop made me realise how lucky I had been. A canvas roof would not be much protection if we had gone over the edge.

As we emerged from the car a motorcyclist with his son riding pillion came off on the same oil and fortunately only hit the Silverburn bridge wall at a slow speed. Most importantly they, my wife and our Japanese visitor were shaken but fine.

The reason for mentioning this situation is just to say how incredibly kind and thoughtful other motorists were as well as the adjacent home owner and the Police. A couple took our friend and my wife back home and the Police helped me organise a tow out from the brink whilst also controlling traffic and getting the DoT onto dispersal of the oil. The guy with the trailer also came back as he had heard down at Ballasalla that there had been a problem by the Silverburn (he is being summonsed for the spill).

Not all motorists on the Island are thoughtless and only interested in themselves - thank goodness!

img1341ctj.jpg

I have to admire the excellent placement of the car it seems to be perfectly parallel with the road :lol:

Pleased that you're all ok though.

Archived