Delays! - Biker Off On The Ballabeg - Grenaby Road

Fossils

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[img1341ctj.jpg

Ah, a Wannabe Beamer driver!

Sorry to point out the obvious but surely a 'wannabe beamer Driver' would be driving something else other than a BMW........................ :o

Also Evil Goblin is Toad of toad hall.............. I claim my £5

A man towing a trailer behind a tractor to the the airport construction site spread hydraulic fluid on the road all the way from St John's through to Ballasalla before it was spotted. Our car skidded on the oil, swerved several times and then did a 180 degree spin onto the verge where it was held from dropping over the edge by some fortunately very strong bushes. The fact that the rear wheel was on a branch over a 10 foot drop made me realise how lucky I had been. A canvas roof would not be much protection if we had gone over the edge.

As we emerged from the car a motorcyclist with his son riding pillion came off on the same oil and fortunately only hit the Silverburn bridge wall at a slow speed. Most importantly they, my wife and our Japanese visitor were shaken but fine.

I am pleased there were apparently no serious injuries but it reinforces to me why I believe we should have some level of overall speed restriction on our roads. OK nothing is perfect and there has to be a balance but I always amazed at the number who state that yes they drive fast but they can do so do as they are driving well within their own capabilities allowing for conditions etc. Something like this just reminds you that we are basically driving on country roads and that we simply have no idea what those conditions around the next corner are and by the time we do it may be to late.

OK none of us are ever going to drive presuming there is oil on the road, a heard of cows immediately aroound the corner or whatever but surely it is better to come across such a problem at 70mph rather than 170mph

I am pleased there were apparently no serious injuries but it reinforces to me why I believe we should have some level of overall speed restriction on our roads.

Lost Login is Slim and I claim my....oh!

Yes, speed limits are needed. Nearly died this weekend meeting two twots racing on an unrestricted road. One (a blue van) lost control slightly just in front of me, but managed to get it back together. A split second lapse and I'd be dead.

No, it won't. Just a sad wanker getting off on winding people up, who does that remind us of?

Ermm Pay Ayres..

:P

[img1341ctj.jpg

Ah, a Wannabe Beamer driver!

Sorry to point out the obvious but surely a 'wannabe beamer Driver' would be driving something else other than a BMW........................ :o

Also Evil Goblin is Toad of toad hall.............. I claim my £5

Nope ya very wrong..lol

I am pleased there were apparently no serious injuries but it reinforces to me why I believe we should have some level of overall speed restriction on our roads. OK nothing is perfect and there has to be a balance but I always amazed at the number who state that yes they drive fast but they can do so do as they are driving well within their own capabilities allowing for conditions etc. Something like this just reminds you that we are basically driving on country roads and that we simply have no idea what those conditions around the next corner are and by the time we do it may be to late.

OK none of us are ever going to drive presuming there is oil on the road, a heard of cows immediately aroound the corner or whatever but surely it is better to come across such a problem at 70mph rather than 170mph

To reinforce what you are saying - on this particular occasion the driver in the car following me said that I was doing about 30 mph through the curves - I know I was not going fast...the Police told me that they are given training on skid pans but not oil "because there is nothing that you can do when you hit oil". My experience now tells me that if you hit oil on a bend at 30 mph, never mind 70 mph you can suddenly and frighteningly easily find yourself going backwards and off the road. At 70 mph we would most probably have been dead as the car would have summersaulted into the drop - having a canvas roof there would have been little protection if it had landed upside down..I am counting lucky stars and thank everyone for your kind comments.

PS - the motorcyclist was also going slow - he and his pillion passenger (his son) hit the bridge wall slowly and elegantly! thank goodness!

Is it possible for a motorcyclist to hit a wall elegantly? :D

Almost like a pas de deux from the ballet - but not a tutu in sight. However today's news shows how dangerous it really is. Very sad and desperate for the family and friends.

Great thing was how considerate and helpful the other motorists and their passengers were - unlike the first post here.

A man towing a trailer behind a tractor to the the airport construction site spread hydraulic fluid on the road all the way from St John's through to Ballasalla before it was spotted. Our car skidded on the oil, swerved several times and then did a 180 degree spin onto the verge where it was held from dropping over the edge by some fortunately very strong bushes. The fact that the rear wheel was on a branch over a 10 foot drop made me realise how lucky I had been. A canvas roof would not be much protection if we had gone over the edge.

As we emerged from the car a motorcyclist with his son riding pillion came off on the same oil and fortunately only hit the Silverburn bridge wall at a slow speed. Most importantly they, my wife and our Japanese visitor were shaken but fine.

It also highlights the problems when there is no MOT check and people can drive round in cars that are not fit for the road. Obviously I don't know whether this was the case here or not, but there are countless instances of coolant, diesel, oil etc. leaking all over the roads here and causing accidents if they're not spotted quickly.

It also highlights the problems when there is no MOT check and people can drive round in cars that are not fit for the road. Obviously I don't know whether this was the case here or not, but there are countless instances of coolant, diesel, oil etc. leaking all over the roads here and causing accidents if they're not spotted quickly.

MOT test only applies at the minute vehicles are tested (I was an MOT tester ;) A vehicle developing a hydraulic leak on the roadway can not be put down to the fault of the lack of an MOT test. This can happen at any time as can all mechanical failures - lets blame no MOT's on punctures???

Archived