[BBC News] Dig finds 8,000-year-old shelter

Newsbot

"Bollox!! Tarmac it, I'm the airport director and I said TARMAC IT!" mumbles to self "8000 years ago... passenger figures lower... yes good statistic, yes what percentage will that be.... oh archaeology? fence! fence it off yes we can build a fence.... 5%... figures....down...up 3%... sleep, must sleep..... no spend must spend money... millions percent millions, cautious must remain optimistic, yes but cautious spend it!!! ha! ha! ha! zzzzzzzzz"

An archaeological dig at the Isle of Man's airport uncovers a shelter dating bad to the end of the Ice Age.

Source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/...man/8148914.stm

So there were squirrels on the IOM :lol:

Another homestay for TT week :lol:

Ann Reynolds will say anything to get the numbers up for July :lol:

DTL will use it in new TV ads :lol:

It's a nice flat area of land for coming ashore in a boat, plus it's only uncovering stuff now because of the new runway being dug out. If more work around the island was done in regard to deep digging for foundations etc, the n I'm sure more archaeological stuff would be found. There must have been so much lost in the past which wasnt recognised as archaeology. I'm looking out for a stone with the engraving....Scrat woz ere!

Ronaldsway is a key archaeological site (even given its name to a form of pottery I think) - major excavations during the wartime expansion of the airfield showed its importance - rescue archaeology is better than none but not usually possible to go back and see what was missed (eg the Keeil excavations from mid 19th C onwards destroyed much evidence that today's more scientific investigations could have found re dating etc.

I wonder why there has been so much archaelogical activity around Ronaldsway? Just wonder why in that particular area earlier people choose to live and set-up a base.

Well duh! It's close to the airport, an ideal place to settle with convenient travel links for ease of commuting to pillage other nations.

I wonder why there has been so much archaelogical activity around Ronaldsway? Just wonder why in that particular area earlier people choose to live and set-up a base.

Well duh! It's close to the airport, an ideal place to settle with convenient travel links for ease of commuting to pillage other nations.

The Manx? Pillaging people? It's always happened the other way around.

Archived