Swine Flu Latest

Sebrof

From the Beeb:

"Earlier, it was disclosed that the swine flu virus sweeping the country had reached Downing Street. It is understood that Gordon Brown's adviser on climate change, Michael Jacobs, has been infected."

S

I've got to hand it to you slim, you are the best...you are never wrong, you must be an absolute pleasure to live with....unfortunately fella the most dangerous people on the planet are the compliant, obedient ones, the ones who do exactly without question what their governement tell them...funny that, cos Nazi Germany was full of 'em and the Chinese have a shitload more.....I take it you'll be the first in line as one of the human guinea pigs to take the swine flu vaccine that was only tested for 5 days before being rushed through onto the "market", and as you receive your injection will be shouting thank you kindly sir you are indeed a righteous man.

I'll reply to this here, as it's more on topic, though I'm not sure what point sebrof was actually trying to make..

I don't think being compliant or obedient is more dangerous than being irrisponsibly ignorant with other peoples health.

I'm calling Godwin's law on the silly Nazi/communist comments.

The h1n1 flu vaccine has been produced since the 1940's. It's given as a priority to the very weakest among us, those who are most at risk. It's demonstrated itself to be very effective over a very long period of time to reduce fatalities in those at risk groups. It's been, literally, tested to death. I won't be first in line, as thankfully I'm not in an 'at risk' group. If I was, or my children were, I'd have no hesitation because I'm not stupid.

From recent reports, it looks like the 5 day rush through thing will be a special provision for certain groups and the vaccine won't be on general release until later after full clinical trials have been completed.

Got this from a friend who enjoys sharing conspiracy theories with me. I'm sure it's complete nonsense - so post it here only for your amusement:

Bird Flu / Swine Flu - Did You Know..?

Do you know that 'bird flu' was discovered in Vietnam 9 years ago?

Do you know that it was the Americans who alerted us to the efficacy of the human antiviral TAMIFLU as a preventative?

Do you know that TAMIFLU barely alleviates some symptoms of the common flu?

Do you know that its efficacy against the common flu is questioned by a great part of the scientific community?

Do you know that against a SUPPOSED mutant virus such as H5N1, TAMIFLU barely alleviates the illness?

Do you know who markets TAMIFLU?

ROCHE LABORATORIES.

Do you know who bought the patent for TAMIFLU from ROCHE LABORATORIES in 1996?

GILEAD SCIENCES INC.

Do you know who was the then president of GILEAD SCIENCES INC. and remains a major shareholder?

DONALD RUMSFELD, the former Secretary of Defense of the USA.

Do you know that the base of TAMIFLU is crushed aniseed?

Do you know who controls 90% of the world's production of this tree?

ROCHE LABORATORIES.

Do you know that sales of TAMIFLU were over $254 million in 2004 and more than $1000 million in 2005?

Do you know how many more millions ROCHE can earn in the coming months if the business of fear continues?

So the summary of the story is as follows:

Bush's friends decide that the medicine TAMIFLU is the solution for a pandemic that has not yet occurred and that has caused a hundred deaths worldwide in 9 years.

This medicine doesn't so much as cure the common flu.

In normal conditions the virus does not affect humans.

Rumsfeld sells the patent for TAMIFLU to ROCHE for which they pay him a fortune. Roche acquires 90% of the global production of crushed

aniseed, the base for the antivirus.

The governments of the entire world threaten a pandemic and then buy industrial quantities of the product from Roche.

So we end up paying for medicine while Rumsfeld, Cheney and Bush do the business.

WAKEY WAKEY PEOPLE

Erm - just in the interests of sanity - the email Stu has posted is about Bird Flu - we are currently dealing with Swine flu!

Bird flu is really deadly if it gets into a person, luckily that is bloody difficult and so very few people have caught it (400 odd) - but over 50% of confirmed cases die.

Bird flu is currently pretty serious in Egypt and health professionals worry what could happen if swine flu (which spreads much more easily) combines with Bird flu - 1918 would seem a reasonable guestimate of what might happen!

Urban legends provides a counter to the more conspiritorial parts of the email Stu put up!

Got this from a friend who enjoys sharing conspiracy theories with me. I'm sure it's complete nonsense - so post it here only for your amusement:

Bird Flu / Swine Flu - Did You Know..?

Do you know that 'bird flu' was discovered in Vietnam 9 years ago?

Do you know that it was the Americans who alerted us to the efficacy of the human antiviral TAMIFLU as a preventative?

Do you know that TAMIFLU barely alleviates some symptoms of the common flu?

Do you know that its efficacy against the common flu is questioned by a great part of the scientific community?

Do you know that against a SUPPOSED mutant virus such as H5N1, TAMIFLU barely alleviates the illness?

Do you know who markets TAMIFLU?

ROCHE LABORATORIES.

Do you know who bought the patent for TAMIFLU from ROCHE LABORATORIES in 1996?

GILEAD SCIENCES INC.

Do you know who was the then president of GILEAD SCIENCES INC. and remains a major shareholder?

DONALD RUMSFELD, the former Secretary of Defense of the USA.

Do you know that the base of TAMIFLU is crushed aniseed?

Do you know who controls 90% of the world's production of this tree?

ROCHE LABORATORIES.

Do you know that sales of TAMIFLU were over $254 million in 2004 and more than $1000 million in 2005?

Do you know how many more millions ROCHE can earn in the coming months if the business of fear continues?

So the summary of the story is as follows:

Bush's friends decide that the medicine TAMIFLU is the solution for a pandemic that has not yet occurred and that has caused a hundred deaths worldwide in 9 years.

This medicine doesn't so much as cure the common flu.

In normal conditions the virus does not affect humans.

Rumsfeld sells the patent for TAMIFLU to ROCHE for which they pay him a fortune. Roche acquires 90% of the global production of crushed

aniseed, the base for the antivirus.

The governments of the entire world threaten a pandemic and then buy industrial quantities of the product from Roche.

So we end up paying for medicine while Rumsfeld, Cheney and Bush do the business.

WAKEY WAKEY PEOPLE

Good theory except its source is star anise not aniseed

From the Beeb:

"Earlier, it was disclosed that the swine flu virus sweeping the country had reached Downing Street. It is understood that Gordon Brown's adviser on climate change, Michael Jacobs, has been infected."

S

I heard this report on the news and it made me laugh when they mentioned that he had not been in contact with the PM- Maybe they were trying to say that he was the swine he caught it from!

I keep reading that the island is in the containment phase and believe they have the virus contained but I can't see how that's possible when people can freely arrive and leave the island on a daily basis.

I keep reading that the island is in the containment phase and believe they have the virus contained but I can't see how that's possible when people can freely arrive and leave the island on a daily basis.

Containment in that when a case is suspected they're given anti-virals and told to lie low in an effort to stop it spreading.

Archived