[BBC News] Sidecar racer killed in S100

Newsbot

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Three instances is quite a lot?

In that case, I declare that there were "quite a lot" of deaths and accidents in the TT this year.

True any death or serious injury at a race meeting is more than a lot its too many, but thats the way it is, it will never be 100% safe and we can say the same for driving on open roads.

You will never stop the TT in your lifetime, the TT coarse is like a motorway compared to other meetings.

example

With 70-80 mph average speeds by amateur teams, I'm not sure that's a great comparrison with the TT. Also note that when you google it, this comes up top:

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/loc...h-14401970.html

Nobody's saying it has to be 100% safe, but it could certainly be a lot safer.

You will never stop the TT in your lifetime, the TT coarse is like a motorway compared to other meetings.

example

OK we get it. You like the TT and Road Racing and as far as you are concerned any amount of deaths and horific inury is OK so long as you can carry on enjoying the show. If we can gloss over the unpleasentries then so much the better as then you do not have to face the fact that people have died or been horifically injured in the name of entertaining you. But if you have to think about such things lets just think such accidents as freak or unique events and pretend that riders were happy to die to entertain you.

I am sorry but I am not sure your attitude is that far away from those who enjoy "snuff" movies but surely you accept that is OK as they died doing something they enjoyed.

A hedge along side the coarse was set on fire shortly before the practices started.

And this was deliberate was it?

Have you proof?

Have you seen the FR1 form ( fire report ) or whatever the paperwork is called these days?

While I'm on ....DID YOU KNOW ???

That since the Second World War there has been only two years when there weren't any deaths at either the TT or MGP.

1982 and 2001 (Foot and mouth year)

Ahh well, that's the way it is.

While I'm on ....DID YOU KNOW ???

That since the Second World War there has been only two years when there weren't any deaths at either the TT or MGP.

1982 and 2001 (Foot and mouth year)

Ahh well, that's the way it is.

I would be very curious to know what the deaths now stand at now since WW2!!!

Not forgetting the seriously injured (life changing).

There you go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Snaef...fatal_accidents

But just remenber that although 107 have died since 1980 compared with 6 in the North West 200, according to the figures in the link, it is according to Lee54 the safest road race in the world and only has a bad name due to its past!

The TT is now the safest road race in the world but carries a bad name due to its past,

I know how to stop all deaths.

Return the TT to its origins and use cars!

Do an event like the nurburgring 24hr with those types of top spec touring cars. Now that would be something superb and best of all no deaths.. Not even if a little fluffy bunny rabbits bounces onto the track (well the rabbit might kick the bucket like)

There you go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Snaef...fatal_accidents

Thanks slinky.

It doesnt exactly make good reading does it!!!

All those deaths and for what, a moments glory but the families lives are changed forever. I dont see anyone of one the racers as a "hero", they are just dead people on a list who had no respect for their life!

Living dangerously is what you do when young not when there are children who depend on you throughout their life, its bad enough when a parent dies accidently but racing is just suicide.

Lee54 ....'that's the way it is' is not a very valid argument is it?

Also have you ever been to a race meeting OFF the Island?

Where do you want me to start, most of the UK and European circuits, every road race in North & South Ireland, Olivers Mount,New Brighton, Three sisters, Daytona, GreenLakes, Road America.

Next week of to a new Road Circuit The Amoy, the following week the UGP, then MGP, then Olivers Mount, the Frohburg and then Macau.

Manufacturers are making bikes that will reach speeds of almost 200mph out of the crate, where are you supposed to enjoy that sort of speed, Racing or on open roads.

In Colorado alone, a record number of people died on the slopes this year: 14 skiers and 1 snowboarder. There is no obvious pattern to these deaths. Eight of the people were male and seven were female. Their ages ranged from 5 to 67 years. Some people were on difficult runs, others were on moderate slopes or easier trails. Only one person was wearing a ski helmet!

According to the National Ski Areas Association, approximately 25-50 people die each year at ski resorts in the United States. Over the last 17 years, the number of deaths has fluctuated dramatically for no apparent reason. Last year, 47 people died nationwide.

In Colorado alone, a record number of people died on the slopes this year: 14 skiers and 1 snowboarder. There is no obvious pattern to these deaths. Eight of the people were male and seven were female. Their ages ranged from 5 to 67 years. Some people were on difficult runs, others were on moderate slopes or easier trails. Only one person was wearing a ski helmet!

According to the National Ski Areas Association, approximately 25-50 people die each year at ski resorts in the United States. Over the last 17 years, the number of deaths has fluctuated dramatically for no apparent reason. Last year, 47 people died nationwide.

Three days ago you were quoting Italian Ski Statistics, now Colorado, What next French, Austrian? Whatever it does not make your argument any more valid just because you keep repeating it and ignore the responses which undermine what you say.

I will therefore repeat my response of three days agio which was that Last year worldwide 53 people died skiing out of 60.5 million participating days. That is safer than swimming and on a par with cycling. By contrast allowing for 10 days racing/practice and 1 death the rate for the TT is about 1 death per 1,000 participant days which is roughly 1,000 times worse and I am being generous in my calculation. In fact in the last 25 years it seems on average there have been 4 deaths a year making the TT about 4,000 more dangerous than skiing. Your figures are bogus but then you do did desribe the TT as the safest Road Race in the world which is cotradictory to the figures produced. But then again you ignoore that just as you ignore anything which does not agree with you view.

Finally if you just want to compare numbers there were over 5,000 motorcyclist killed in the US in 2007. That is about 1,000 skiers figure you are so found of.

Archived