[BBC News] Sidecar racer killed in S100

Newsbot

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But what if it was one of your own, would you still feel the same way.

One of my own what? You don't half come out with some half baked romantic bollocks. Incidentally, you were the one that linked the MR story to this site, was it you that linked it on iomtt.com as well, causing such great offence?

Exactly. So why the hysterical cries of bad taste when these things are discussed?

Thankfully, there are no more of his kind.

Anyway, riders are public figures, celebrites perhaps, some of them, and so they and their families must expect to recieve a certain amount of media attention, and that includes having their excruciating injuries made known to the public. And as has been mentioned, if such details are mentioned in an inquest then they're in the public domain anyway.

We shouldn't avoid talking about these things.

One of my own what? You don't half come out with some half baked romantic bollocks. Incidentally, you were the one that linked the MR story to this site, was it you that linked it on iomtt.com as well, causing such great offence?

If it was one of your family that was involved in a motoring accident and their body parts were spread across the road, would you still be happy for the details to be made public in the press. I asked this previously. As for the link,I got it from IOMTT.

If it was one of your family that was involved in a motoring accident and their body parts were spread across the road, would you still be happy for the details to be made public in the press. I asked this previously. As for the link,I got it from IOMTT.

I wouldn't be happy about it, but that's what the press does - reports things. I actually think the details of these things should be publicised so that the population is aware of the exact consequences of the events which are held in their name to make money for the island. The real reason that fans of racing on the island don't like them discussed is because most people would find the graphic details repugnant, and the races would very quickly be stopped for ever. I was surprised at the detail in the Manx Radio report but I approve of them running the story.

Exactly. So why the hysterical cries of bad taste when these things are discussed?

And for clarification of this, iomtt.com have, apparently resulting from affronted biker types, censored the report of the case that appeared on Manx Radio's news website. And yes, that's the same Manx Radio that is Radio TT.

keyboarder - I do wish you would check your facts before going off on one??

It's removal was more a case of how it had been posted and presented, nothing more and nothing less.

It was removed after admin asked for members guidance on the basis that it was far too soon to debate the matter in public in view of showing respect for the family and friends of the deceased - Respect being something that isn't followed much on here at times !!!

Kev

I don't understand - if it's been removed, how come some of it's still there and members can add replies?

http://www.iomtt.com/Home/Forum/ShowPost.a...p;PostID=177999

It has been removed, but due to the old software used, they only remove the first few posts, and that takes it out of the public domain.

However, anyone who posted before, or follows a link like this one on here can view the remaining posts.

The fact being that it was removed for the reasons given above, and only out of respect.

Safety is a very important issue with this sport, but sometimes accidents do happen, and as a result further measures if deemed relevant will be made for next time.

I fully accept that some people will not follow, agree with or accept the level of perceived danger attached to this sport, but we must accept that these riders live for this pursuit of speed and challenge, and we or anyone else haven't the right to deny them of that unless it directly effects our own safety.

How it impacts on their own after such accidents is again a matter for them and their families to decide, whether we agree or not.

Kev

Your members voted to have the thread deleted because they would rather we all believed the TT was a safe event and motorbiking isn't dangerous. Anything to the contrary must be removed from the public eye. The same has happened over there with threads promoting dangerous riding, as we all know.

I wouldn't be happy about it, but that's what the press does - reports things. I actually think the details of these things should be publicised so that the population is aware of the exact consequences of the events which are held in their name to make money for the island. The real reason that fans of racing on the island don't like them discussed is because most people would find the graphic details repugnant, and the races would very quickly be stopped for ever. I was surprised at the detail in the Manx Radio report but I approve of them running the story.

Agreed. I might not be "happy" about it but I would accept it and believe it to be acceptable. I think I might also be much more upset and more preoccupied about the death than what is reported.

Death and horrific injury are as many have said part and part of road racing. The reporting of such should also be accepted as such even if it is unpalatable and in my view it is a better option than sweeping the matter under the carpet which seems the preffered option of many in the sport. Supporters will argue that is out of respect but to many it appears to be more related to preventing critisisim and protecting the "sport"

You really have to admire Michael Moyle, don't you? He's the only member of the local establishment prepared to acknowledge the elephant in the room.

I fully agree, and if you look at the reply made by admin on iomtt.com in respect of the deleted thread, you will see that the comments made by Mr Moyle were recommended as being relevant for discussion, but not just yet out of respect for the family etc!!

I tend to agree with the sentiment that this thread, as expressed, is insensitive. I do believe a debate on Mr Moyle's assertion that married people with kids shouldn't race is valid for this forum, but I don't think we need a direct link to the news story (especially given the unusually graphic nature of the report) and I think it might be a little more tasteful to leave it a few days before we start the debate - just out of a little respect for Phil's family and out of basic human decency. That said, given the amount of abuse deleting a thread always leads to, I'd like a quick straw poll on whether this thread should be deleted, edited or left alone. Feel free to PM me, email info@iomtt.com or post your view below. I'll make a decision before 5.30pm today (Friday).

PT1

Mr Moyle has always provided a level headed response in my book, and no more so than after the inquest into the 2007 TT accident during the last race, where as a result, many changes were brought in for both rider and spectator safety.

Kev

Your members voted to have the thread deleted because they would rather we all believed the TT was a safe event and motorbiking isn't dangerous. Anything to the contrary must be removed from the public eye. The same has happened over there with threads promoting dangerous riding, as we all know.

Check out my last post on here, and you will see that the matter was removed out of respect due to the timing of the article, and not that the contents were not relevant. This matter will be discussed, but when the time is right.

As I've said before, please get your fact right, and stop trying to re write matters for your own ends!!

Kev

At least these road racers have got their priorities right, not like the ever growing population of local motorists that use the islands open roads to be boy or girl racers, putting other road users at risk.Maybe next time the Island has a fatality on open roads Mr Moyle and the local press will give the injuries the same graphic coverage

Archived