[BBC News] Sidecar racer killed in S100

Newsbot

Both riders, residents, and spectators must accept that road racing is a high risk sport and must accept that there are limits to the effectiveness of safety measures, and practical limits in implementing them, if they intend it to continue.

Agreed and to me that is the nub of the isuue, i.e. what level of risks, death and serious injury are acceptable. If hypothetically we had 50 deaths a year then I am sure no body or very very few would see that as acceptable and the TT would not continue. Many believe the death and horric injury toll today is acceptable. I do not. Somewhere we are all have a threshold where we would fine the risks unacceptable it is just that we all have different opinions of where this is.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It was removed after admin asked for members guidance on the basis that it was far too soon to debate the matter in public in view of showing respect for the family and friends of the deceased - Respect being something that isn't followed much on here at times !!!

Incidentally, I find it curious that you choose to disrespect the friends and family of the deceased by debating the matter on here.

At least these road racers have got their priorities right, not like the ever growing population of local motorists that use the islands open roads to be boy or girl racers, putting other road users at risk.Maybe next time the Island has a fatality on open roads Mr Moyle and the local press will give the injuries the same graphic coverage

He should in my opinion. Perhaps then we could ponder the island's speed laws with a little more respect of the consequences.

It was removed after admin asked for members guidance on the basis that it was far too soon to debate the matter in public in view of showing respect for the family and friends of the deceased - Respect being something that isn't followed much on here at times !!!

Incidentally, I find it curious that you choose to disrespect the friends and family of the deceased by debating the matter on here.

But I haven't directly debated it on here as you well know, but then again you will always twist anything in persuit of the upper edge!!

Kev

Mr Moyle is coronor of inquests, he doesn't give coverage, he hears what comes before him about deaths. I imagine in road death cases these are gruesome, but still heard. You might have a question why Manx Radio chose to publish one aspect of what was said in court but to criticise Moyle for that is unfair.

At least these road racers have got their priorities right, not like the ever growing population of local motorists that use the islands open roads to be boy or girl racers, putting other road users at risk.Maybe next time the Island has a fatality on open roads Mr Moyle and the local press will give the injuries the same graphic coverage

As I and others have said we would not object to more detailed coverage of fatalities on open roads especially if it led to boy or girl racers sitting up and taking notice. Please read the thread rather than ignoring any responses that you do not agree with. Mind you I would also argue that road racers have got their priorities right as more than one this year seem to have difficulty understanding the difference between open and closed roads. Do the names William Dunlop and Andrew Laidlaw ring a bell.

Both riders, residents, and spectators must accept that road racing is a high risk sport and must accept that there are limits to the effectiveness of safety measures, and practical limits in implementing them, if they intend it to continue.

Agreed and to me that is the nub of the isuue, i.e. what level of risks, death and serious injury are acceptable. If hypothetically we had 50 deaths a year then I am sure no body or very very few would see that as acceptable and the TT would not continue. Many believe the death and horric injury toll today is acceptable. I do not. Somewhere we are all have a threshold where we would fine the risks unacceptable it is just that we all have different opinions of where this is.

Any death or case of serious injury is unacceptable in my book, but how are we the general public or the supporter of the sport able to stop it. It - the sport - is far bigger than any one individual, and therefore and as said before, the only way this will come to an end is via Health and Safety.

The same goes for general safety in every day life. We try our hardest to avoid accidents and injury, but things happen whether it's out of our control, or out of our own stupidity. That's life i suppose.

Kev

But I haven't directly debated it on here as you well know, but then again you will always twist anything in persuit of the upper edge!!

You need to look at the title of the topic you're posting in right now.

Still, at least you can recognise that the only place you're going to get any sort of intelligent debate is over here which I guess is the reason you post at all. Looking at the knuckle draggers you seem to have as members on your forum, it's hardly surprising.

Mr Moyle is coronor of inquests, he doesn't give coverage, he hears what comes before him about deaths. I imagine in road death cases these are gruesome, but still heard. You might have a question why Manx Radio chose to publish one aspect of what was said in court but to criticise Moyle for that is unfair.

Your quite correct on this Declan, in court all My Moyle said was the riders injuries were serious and did not need to be disclosed I have any further, A young female reporter from Manx Radio got the story from hat a witness described to the courts. I have attended two inquests on riders that I was invoved with and both times Mr Moyle has shown a great deal of respect and not once did he ever disclose the extent of the injuries. It just MR and the gutter press at work.

How many people are killed every year road racing in Dalston, Cumbria then?

As we don't hold Road Racing in Dalston, then the answer has to be none.

I can however understand your point, in that had the racing not been staged on the IOM, then these deaths wouldn't have occurred. However, if it wasn't on the IOM, then it would have been somewhere else.

Ireland in various places, and over here at Aberdare and Scarborough Road Racing is staged, and these incidents are occurring at these venues also.

The only resolve would be for no racing full stop, but as said previously, how can you stop it!!

Kev

How many people are killed every year road racing in Dalston, Cumbria then?

Not as many as those killed on the Italian Ski slopes.

And how many have been killed on the Islands open roads each year where we have road traffic regulations

Keyboarder, I don't really see why you think something should be banned because it is dangerous. These people know what the risks are and make an decision as to what they will do. Why do the dangers mean that others have the right to put a stop to it?

Keyboarder, I don't really see why you think something should be banned because it is dangerous. These people know what the risks are and make an decision as to what they will do. Why do the dangers mean that others have the right to put a stop to it?

I'm not calling for anything to be banned. Like I've already said, I'm indifferent to bike racing. I'm just astonished that it is allowed. After all, the Isle of Man can hardly be described as the upholder of personal liberalism. Look what we do to drug users for example. Come to the island and die horribly whilst reaching out for your severed limb? No problem. Bring a small bag of weed with you? Two weeks in prison. And we only recently allowed your chosen area of sexual preference you know.

I'm not calling for anything to be banned. Like I've already said, I'm indifferent to bike racing. I'm just astonished that it is allowed. After all, the Isle of Man can hardly be described as the upholder of personal liberalism. Look what we do to drug users for example. Come to the island and die horribly whilst reaching out for your severed limb? No problem. Bring a small bag of weed with you? Two weeks in prison. And we only recently allowed your chosen area of sexual preference you know.

Oh sorry, in that case you are making a very good point in my opinion.

Archived