[BBC News] Sidecar racer killed in S100

Newsbot

Keyboarder, I don't really see why you think something should be banned because it is dangerous. These people know what the risks are and make an decision as to what they will do. Why do the dangers mean that others have the right to put a stop to it?

I'm not calling for anything to be banned. Like I've already said, I'm indifferent to bike racing. I'm just astonished that it is allowed. After all, the Isle of Man can hardly be described as the upholder of personal liberalism. Look what we do to drug users for example. Come to the island and die horribly whilst reaching out for your severed limb? No problem. Bring a small bag of weed with you? Two weeks in prison. And we only recently allowed your chosen area of sexual preference you know.

Oh sorry, in that case you are making a very good point in my opinion.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Keyboarder, I don't really see why you think something should be banned because it is dangerous. These people know what the risks are and make an decision as to what they will do. Why do the dangers mean that others have the right to put a stop to it?

I'm not calling for anything to be banned. Like I've already said, I'm indifferent to bike racing. I'm just astonished that it is allowed. After all, the Isle of Man can hardly be described as the upholder of personal liberalism. Look what we do to drug users for example. Come to the island and die horribly whilst reaching out for your severed limb? No problem. Bring a small bag of weed with you? Two weeks in prison. And we only recently allowed your chosen area of sexual preference you know.

Exactly its allowed on closed roads, people have a choice to enjoy it or hate it, but what choice do we have with the idiots that use our open roads. If the details of all the injuries sustained on open roads was published would you call for ban on the use of cars or who could use them.

For those who think it's unacceptable to have the details of the inquest reported, you could argue that the accident was on a public road in a public event.

As for all these road racing arguments it's worth noting what has happened in other dangerous sports. Look at F1, all races used to be on TT type tracks until the drivers rebelled and look at the sport now. No deaths since 1994. Same with other sports. Accidents do happen, there was a death at Brands Hatch last week but they are rare and something has been done to reduce the risk. Plus look at teh calibre of rider the TT attracts. I think the reaction to Rossi's appearance this year just concretes further the need to build a world class race track in the Island

While most of the rest of the world has moved on we've decided to stay in the past

As for last week I would say if Phil Dongworth had crashed on a purpose-built circuit then there's a very good chance he'd be alive today.

And as for this 'no thrill like racing on public roads' then those on purpose-built tracks must be bored silly.

One day there will be no more road racing. It may be a year from now, ten years, a hundred years, whatever. But when that day comes people will look back and think how stupid we were for allowing this to go on. It's just galling when you consider how many more lives lost and how many more children will lose their father between this day and then

For those who think it's unacceptable to have the details of the inquest reported, you could argue that the accident was on a public road in a public event.

As for all these road racing arguments it's worth noting what has happened in other dangerous sports. Look at F1, all races used to be on TT type tracks until the drivers rebelled and look at the sport now. No deaths since 1994. Same with other sports. Accidents do happen, there was a death at Brands Hatch last week but they are rare and something has been done to reduce the risk. Plus look at teh calibre of rider the TT attracts. I think the reaction to Rossi's appearance this year just concretes further the need to build a world class race track in the Island

While most of the rest of the world has moved on we've decided to stay in the past

As for last week I would say if Phil Dongworth had crashed on a purpose-built circuit then there's a very good chance he'd be alive today.

And as for this 'no thrill like racing on public roads' then those on purpose-built tracks must be bored silly.

One day there will be no more road racing. It may be a year from now, ten years, a hundred years, whatever. But when that day comes people will look back and think how stupid we were for allowing this to go on. It's just galling when you consider how many more lives lost and how many more children will lose their father between this day and then

Keyboarder Ive found he ideal website for you to spend your time on

http://www.car-accidents.com/pages/car_accident_photo.html

:rolleyes:

Ireland has purpose built tracks and other sporting venues but what is the biggest sporting event in Ireland, the North West 200, followed by the UGP and throughout the troubles in Ireland what was the only sporting event in Ireland with no divide, MOTOR CYCLE ROAD RACING.

Exactly its allowed on closed roads, people have a choice to enjoy it or hate it, but what choice do we have with the idiots that use our open roads. If the details of all the injuries sustained on open roads was published would you call for ban on the use of cars or who could use them.

They are two different issues. And it doesn't matter that much what I think as it isn't my decision to put on road racing. If it ever becomes my decision through a referendum or my unlikely accession to political office then I would vote for a discontinuation. If only because the TT is a major pain in the arse. But also because of the predictable and regular carnage.

How many people are killed every year road racing in Dalston, Cumbria then?

Not as many as those killed on the Italian Ski slopes.

And how many have been killed on the Islands open roads each year where we have road traffic regulations

The number is irrelevent in my view, it is the percentage of participants that I belive to be more relevent. Millions probably ski on the the Italian slopes over a season covering several months. Road racing in the IoM involves maybe a couple of hundred for a few hours a day for a couple of weeks.

If you only look at actual numbers, although I have not checked the numbers, I expect there are possibly more road deaths in the UK each year than suicide or murders. By your logic driving would be more dangerous than committing suicide or being murdered. Hmmmm

How many people are killed every year road racing in Dalston, Cumbria then?

Not as many as those killed on the Italian Ski slopes.

And how many have been killed on the Islands open roads each year where we have road traffic regulations

The number is irrelevent in my view, it is the percentage of participants that I belive to be more relevent. Millions probably ski on the the Italian slopes over a season covering several months. Road racing in the IoM involves maybe a couple of hundred for a few hours a day for a couple of weeks.

If you only look at actual numbers, although I have not checked the numbers, I expect there are possibly more road deaths in the UK each year than suicide or murders. By your logic driving would be more dangerous than committing suicide or being murdered. Hmmmm

Well my two bikes done 1510 miles at this years TT at an average speed of over 120mph and I would say that was better odds than anyone that ski on the Italian slopes over two weeks.

Oh sorry, in that case you are making a very good point in my opinion.

He is. Just a shame he's being such a contentious asshole about the way he's making it.

So, keyboarder, it's just that given the way the IoM govt punishes other things like drugs, you can't understand why road racing is an exception?

Surely that's obvious. You even said it yourself. Money.

Well my two bikes done 1510 miles at this years TT at an average speed of over 120mph and I would say that was better odds than anyone that ski on the Italian slopes over two weeks.

You are not the sharpest tool in the box are you.

1,510 miles at 120 mph is a little over 12 and a half hours on the road. Are you seriously suggesting that you believe that any body spending 12.5 hours on the slopes has a high chance of being seriously injured or killed?

Last year worldwide 53 people died skiing out of 60.5 million participating days. that is safer than swimming and on a par with cycling. By contrast allowing for 10 days racing/practice and 1 death the rate for the TT is about 1 death per 1,000 participant days which is roughly 1,000 times worse and I am being generous in my calculation.

Anyway back on topic my view is that just cos you die in a road race you deserve or mnore or less courtesy than any person who loses their life even though as a road racer you should probably expect that the sport will kill or horifically injure you at some point,

1,510 miles at 120 mph is a little over 12 and a half hours on the road. Are you seriously suggesting that you believe that any body spending 12.5 hours on the slopes has a high chance of being seriously injured or killed?

Last year worldwide 53 people died skiing out of 60.5 million participating days. that is safer than swimming and on a par with cycling. By contrast allowing for 10 days racing/practice and 1 death the rate for the TT is about 1 death per 1,000 participant days which is roughly 1,000 times worse and I am being generous in my calculation.

Anyway back on topic my view is that just cos you die in a road race you deserve or mnore or less courtesy than any person who loses their life even though as a road racer you should probably expect that the sport will kill or horifically injure you at some point,

About 75000 miles were completed by entrants at th TT this year. and only one fatality

The same respect would do, thats all

About 75000 miles were completed by entrants at th TT this year. and only one fatality

The same respect would do, thats all

And how many injured?

Archived