[BBC News] Sidecar racer killed in S100

Newsbot

define injured roo?

are we talking direct results of a crash or perhaps injuries that occur through riding safely but still having muscle tears?

Perhaps you want to keep it solely to crashes? but then how can you possibly count every little knock that perhaps wasn't fully reported?

Quite frankly I feel you have opened a shitstorm can of worms here Roo.... do you have the cajones to carry this discussion through?

I'm not sure and potentially I may never look at this thread again to find out

Good look Roo and all who sail upon thee

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
define injured roo?

are we talking direct results of a crash or perhaps injuries that occur through riding safely but still having muscle tears?

Perhaps you want to keep it solely to crashes? but then how can you possibly count every little knock that perhaps wasn't fully reported?

Quite frankly I feel you have opened a shitstorm can of worms here Roo.... do you have the cajones to carry this discussion through?

I mean life changing injuries, because they are the ones that count.

define injured roo?

One life changing injury at the TT (Nick Crowe ) The others injured will make a full recovery

define injured roo?

One life changing injury at the TT (Nick Crowe ) The others injured will make a full recovery

Well, that does surprise me.

The TT almost always brings death and injuries beyond 2, so i guess in some peoples eyes this was a good TT.

Oh well, roll on next year hey!

My husband had a serious, life changing accident at the MGP a few years ago. He was in hospital for months, nearly died 3 times and was months recovering at home.

The nature of his injuries were never disclosed in the press & swept under the carpet at the event - broken leg I think was mentioned. I think it is far, far better to report honestly the actual injuries sustained than to stop talking about it for fear of offending the families involved. They will have much more important things to worry about & won't be spending time reading forums.

Not mentioning the detail of the injuries just leads to endless speculation. Of course I can only speak from experience but I discussed what had happened with anyone who asked & if that led to the accident being discussed somewhere else then I was fine with that. At least it stopped the wrong information getting around.

I've heard 3 different versions of the injuries sustained in the TT sidecar accident, none of which will be correct.

Welcome and thank you for that honest opinion from someone who is directly involved and affected.

Hope your husband has recovered well.

My husband had a serious, life changing accident at the MGP a few years ago. He was in hospital for months, nearly died 3 times and was months recovering at home.

The nature of his injuries were never disclosed in the press & swept under the carpet at the event - broken leg I think was mentioned. I think it is far, far better to report honestly the actual injuries sustained than to stop talking about it for fear of offending the families involved. They will have much more important things to worry about & won't be spending time reading forums.

Not mentioning the detail of the injuries just leads to endless speculation. Of course I can only speak from experience but I discussed what had happened with anyone who asked & if that led to the accident being discussed somewhere else then I was fine with that. At least it stopped the wrong information getting around.

I've heard 3 different versions of the injuries sustained in the TT sidecar accident, none of which will be correct.

Yes i agree, i would think the speculation would cause more distress and upset than the actual facts, but i dont really think its about the families and their feelings, its more about the reputation of the sport in connection with the Island.

I also echo Bluemonday in his/her sentiments.

Yes i agree, i would think the speculation would cause more distress and upset than the actual facts, but i dont really think its about the families and their feelings, its more about the reputation of the sport in connection with the Island.

I also echo Bluemonday in his/her sentiments.

Fortunately I have never been in the situation, and I express my sympathy to all those that have including oldmanxmaid, but I think one of the advantages of the matter being in the public domain is not just the end of speculation, but a greather amount of sympathy, respect, thought etc from the general public.

I have to admit when the matter is swept under the carpet you tend to forget about the injured and their families, equally on hearing that somebody is serioulsy injured in hospital once the injuries are described as not being life threatening I gliby automatically assume that the injured will make a full recovery all be it over a long period of time and that everything will in effect be fine. That is wrong and I for one forget that they may still be left with life affecting injuries and I could do with reminding of that on occasion just to temper my attitude.

I have to admit that does not just go for injuries received as above it is generally the case in life that I might see or here awful things on the news but once no longer shown they and the aftermath are quickly forgotten about. Recently on the BBC archive pages I came across some pictures in colour of the 2nd Word War and some of the images shown would not have been shown on the news these days. It was a stark reminder of the tragedy and horific consequences of war as with the sanitising of news these days and only hearing reports that X have been injured or y killed it is easy to forget what that actually mean and the reality behind those words.

Some good points being made, but when I rider is killed why not just leave it as from injuries received and not the gory details as in this case, when its described as life changing injuries then maybe disclose them as help may be needed. Lets not forget some of these riders that are killed have young children and they should be protected until old enough to understand

Exactly. So why the hysterical cries of bad taste when these things are discussed?

And for clarification of this, iomtt.com have, apparently resulting from affronted biker types, censored the report of the case that appeared on Manx Radio's news website. And yes, that's the same Manx Radio that is Radio TT.

Keyboarder, I've read this post a couple of times to try and understand what it is you are trying to say. Are you suggesting iomtt.com has the ability to censor news reports that appear on Manx Radio's website? Is this an official position, or have the operators of iomtt.com found a way to hack into Manx Radio's website and alter online articles?

Lets not forget some of these riders that are killed have young children and they should be protected until old enough to understand

Why should the media protect the riders children when the riders themselves cant be that bothered about their kids?

Bombing around a road at 190mph, with the only thing between you and death being luck, is a funny way of protecting your own kids.

Some good points being made, but when I rider is killed why not just leave it as from injuries received and not the gory details as in this case, when its described as life changing injuries then maybe disclose them as help may be needed. Lets not forget some of these riders that are killed have young children and they should be protected until old enough to understand

I think giving graphic details would be of benifit to younger people who think racing is the path for them, dying on the back of a bike seems to be glorified, take Joey Dunlop for instance the man was a hero to MOST, 25 years of taking his life for granted riding at amazing speeds, ok so he didnt die on the Island but he died doing what he loved, how is that NOT glorifying!

Lets not forget some of these riders that are killed have young children and they should be protected until old enough to understand

Why should the media protect the riders children when the riders themselves cant be that bothered about their kids?

Bombing around a road at 190mph, with the only thing between you and death being luck, is a funny way of protecting your own kids.

Well thats just blunt, but nail on the head.

Exactly. So why the hysterical cries of bad taste when these things are discussed?

And for clarification of this, iomtt.com have, apparently resulting from affronted biker types, censored the report of the case that appeared on Manx Radio's news website. And yes, that's the same Manx Radio that is Radio TT.

Keyboarder, I've read this post a couple of times to try and understand what it is you are trying to say. Are you suggesting iomtt.com has the ability to censor news reports that appear on Manx Radio's website? Is this an official position, or have the operators of iomtt.com found a way to hack into Manx Radio's website and alter online articles?

Apologies, my ill thought out choice of words does lend a certain ambiguity to the post. What I actually meant was that iomtt.com appear to have censored a link on their forum TO the report on Manx Radio. Presumably because they didn't want the topic discussed on the iomtt boards. I'm certainly not suggesting that they are able to edit ManxRadio's content. I have no knowledge of that at all. Hope that clears things up.

Archived