Batten Down The Hatches

Fossils

Clever people, these runway extension engineers. Has anyone got access to photos of this model?

"Tests were carried out on 670-metre model in Oxfordshire to ensure the rock armour used in the project, which has a 60-year design life, can withstand a once in a 1000-year storm."

I suppose the 1000 year storm could hit within that 60 years, who knows when it's going to hit. Has anyone done the math on it?

"Tests were carried out on 670-metre model."

Reminds me of "The Running, Jumping Standing Still" film of my youth. If I recall correctly one of the characters was building a life size scale model of the Old Bailey in his front room.

I didn't think that the extensions themselves were more than 670 metres - a bl**dy big scale model! No doubt this is here our money is being usefully spent.

I am lead to believe there is a public footpath runs across the location of the new runway.

Irrespective of what people may think about footpaths and people wambling over the countryside with beards and sheeps-wool jumpers - there are laws involved here whether they like it or not.

Maybe it was just a rumour.

I am lead to believe there is a public footpath runs across the location of the new runway.

Irrespective of what people may think about footpaths and people wambling over the countryside with beards and sheeps-wool jumpers - there are laws involved here whether they like it or not.

In my experience, these laws only apply when there is a celebrity land owner involved.

As they have a 60 yr lifespan, what happens then, another 30m to replace the rocks. Why only 60 yrs as well, how old are these rocks and what is it about the weather at Ronaldsway that wears them out so quickly?

The Raad Ny Foillan is at the end of the present runway. It is closed at present due to the new extension works. I have no idea if the end of the new runway will incorporate the path or whether it will have to go around the airport and down Balthane to link up again.

As they have a 60 yr lifespan, what happens then, another 30m to replace the rocks. Why only 60 yrs as well, how old are these rocks and what is it about the weather at Ronaldsway that wears them out so quickly?

So what you're trying to say is we should be using younger rocks :lol: , mind you i did here a rumour that a seam of suitabe rock has now been found at one of our local quarries but they are going to continue to use import rock instead as it would cost to much to 'buy' out of the contract :huh::huh:

Its not the rocks them selves that will only last 60 years but the "rock armour" that is used to protect them, not a clue what it is or why its needed though.

I'm guessing 60 years as that’s what the manufacturer will promise, that and in 60 years the majority of people involved will be dead and buried so if anything goes wrong they cant be blamed.

My question would be, would the "rock armour" with stand a 1 in a 1000 year storm in 59 years?

Its not the rocks them selves that will only last 60 years but the "rock armour" that is used to protect them, not a clue what it is or why its needed though.

It does refer to the actual rocks...

'Rock Armour' is the term used to describe rocks or other material that protect shorelines from erosion by wave action.

George Clooney, Mark Wahlberg and some others landing at Ronaldsway during a 1000 years storm.

Perfect Storm 2.

Archived