Gary Kinnon Extradition

La_Dolce_Vita

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2008/no...ers-extradition

http://www.indymedia.ie/article/76361

http://freegary.org.uk/

I know this isn't breaking news, but just wondered what people's views were on the extradition of this person to be placed in the US Government?

Other than whether such an extradition is itself warranted, do you think it matters that he has been diagnosed as being Aspergic?

He was working as a System Administrator so he likely knows right from wrong when it comes to hacking. From my limited understanding, AS doesn't diminish his responsibility for his actions. Neither does the beer and pot he claims he was under the influence of. It would take many many hours for the US Gov. to try and assess what he did, when he did it, find any backdoors or damage etc.. Does anyone question whether he would get a fair trial in the US? Why shouldn't he face trial in the US and take his punishment if found guilty? It's amazing how many people feel sorry for him when he admits doing it! There is still far too little risk of punishment to deter people from sending SPAM or hacking. At least the US government is capable of securing convictions with jail time under their hacking/SPAM laws.

So...you think his hacking deserves severe punishment? Why?

To discourage those who think that it is OK (or easy to escape with trivial punishment) when illegally accessing computer systems containing sensitive data, whether data is about UFOs or bank account details. It's interesting that his diagnosis only came to light in August 2008 and he commited the crime in 2001 (I think). He is looking for an excuse.

If someone tries to steal my bank account details from an IoM computer system I would hope to miraculously see the IoM police/govt/Attourney General or whoever try and kick some ass (if found guilty in the IoM of course).

As the IoM Govt is heavily promoting the hosting of egaming then should someone seriously hack our hosted businesses I would expect the Govt to be prepared with a mechanism in place to extradite/pursue, try and punish hackers.

To discourage those who think that it is OK (or easy to escape with trivial punishment) when illegally accessing computer systems containing sensitive data, whether data is about UFOs or bank account details.

Whilst he's undoubtably committed a crime, and has admitted to some of the charges levelled against him, the rule of law is supposed to apply equally to all. 'Making an example' out of someone to discourage others is nothing more than using the law as a tool of intimidation rather than an instrument of justice.

It's interesting that his diagnosis only came to light in August 2008 and he commited the crime in 2001 (I think). He is looking for an excuse.

He was diagnosed by one of the leading experts on autism spectrum disorders. Are you trying to claim this man is a liar or a fool?

I didn't say make an example of him Vinnie. I just think the penalites that were in force when he commited the crime should be applied. As I intimated and reasoned in the rest of my post, I think ALL hackers should be punished in accordance with the law. Fair enough the guy who diagnosed him was an expert and I am not. But it is still odd to me that so many people are supporting him. Can you give reasons why he should not be sent to Amerca and pay the full price for his actions?

Can you give reasons why he should not be sent to Amerca and pay the full price for his actions?

To be honest, I'm in two minds about it. Although the case could be conducted in the UK, I can understand that the Americans are less than eager to have their DoD's computer system discussed in a foreign court, and as you say he has brought a lot of this on himself (especially leaving that message where he promises to continue his disruption). Having said that, the U.S. doesn't have the greatest reputation when it comes to dealing with people suffering from a mental condition; I was reading that the Dutch and Israeli's generally ask for assurances before extradition that such people will be repatriated to serve their time, and don't understand why that can't be the case here (especially when that bastard Pinochet got away without a trial - different circumstances, I know, but still).

Try him in the UK or don't try him at all. If he commited the crimes in another country then he could be extradited but these crimes were commited in the UK. What you do on the web should be subject to the law of the country you are in. Plus the UK should only extradite to proper democratic countries which truely respect human rights. The USA uses extreme sentencing for many crimes, plea bargains, capital punishment and an array of other backwards tactics which usually exist in developing countries.

Try him in the UK or don't try him at all. If he commited the crimes in another country then he could be extradited but these crimes were commited in the UK. What you do on the web should be subject to the law of the country you are in. Plus the UK should only extradite to proper democratic countries which truely respect human rights. The USA uses extreme sentencing for many crimes, plea bargains, capital punishment and an array of other backwards tactics which usually exist in developing countries.

The UK is no proper democratic country but I recognise your point about the U.S's punishments for crime.

In my opinion there is no way whatsoever that this guy should be extradited to the US.

It’s being done under a scandalously one sided extradition arrangement reached by the revolting Blair while attempting to simplify the transfer of terrorists between the UK and the US and at the same time not dislodge his tongue from where it was firmly lodged at the time.

What is at issue here isn’t what the guy did, it’s about the rights that a person has to be defended by the nation of which he is a citizen from being attacked by another nation. And if a crime has been committed in the nation that he resides in, and especially if it in one of which he is a citizen, that he should face justice in that country.

What’s more under previous extradition law a person could only be extricated if an office had been committed in another country that was also a crime in the country in which he was residing.

Because the offence that he is being charged with in this case is illegal access to US government computers, and there is no legislation in the UK prohibiting illegal access to US government computers, he would not be liable for extradition under existing legislation and it is only the anti-terrorism legislation that is opening the door now.

Another gross miscarriage of justice where this anti-terrorism legislation was (ab)used concerned the Westminster Bank guys who if they had committed a criminal act, and that has not been proved by a British court, would have done so in the UK against their UK employer.

In spite of that they were shipped off using the same asymmetrical extradition arrangements to the US, and yet the real targets that this legislation was intended for get mired up in delay at least under EHCR legislation.

The whole thing stinks.

Archived