Unemployment

Mutley

IOM jobless total rises

Thankfully It's been 15 years since I was last between jobs. At the time I didn't sign on as I got another job within 3 months. This time it's different. Jobs are not as plentiful and I've now got financial commitments. Believe me I would much rather work and I'd stack shelves in Tesco on the graveyard shift before claiming the dole , but should the worst happen and I lose my job, what benefits or assistance is available? If I couldn't make my mortgage payments would I be able to get assistance with a view to paying it back? Pretty naive questions but I'm ignorant of the whole subject.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
IOM jobless total rises

Thankfully It's been 15 years since I was last between jobs. At the time I didn't sign on as I got another job within 3 months. This time it's different. Jobs are not as plentiful and I've now got financial commitments. Believe me I would much rather work and I'd stack shelves in Tesco on the graveyard shift before claiming the dole , but should the worst happen and I lose my job, what benefits or assistance is available? If I couldn't make my mortgage payments would I be able to get assistance with a view to paying it back? Pretty naive questions but I'm ignorant of the whole subject.

Does it pay more to be in Tesco's than on the dole?

I’m not sure about benefits over here either.

I was made redundant a few years back then the day after found out I needed a major op and wouldn’t be able to work for 6 months. I couldn’t get JSA as I couldn’t work, no income support as my partner worked although she was part time and couldn’t cover the rent, no incapacity benefit as I had missed one NI payment while being unemployed and not signing on.

So I had to live on naff all money for 6 months while my neighbour who was to lazy to work, got every thing paid for.

It seems to me that people who work hard get screwed because they cant play the system.

IOM jobless total rises

Does it pay more to be in Tesco's than on the dole?

No idea. As much as I dislike having to work and would rather win the lottery and retire to a yacht in the Caribbean, I would rather work than take a handout. Much like 99% of people I reckon.

You would get Jobseekers allowance at the enhanced IOM rate

You might also qualify with assistance towards either rent or interest (but not capital) on a mortgage via Income support

If you had family you would also qualify for income support or FIS depending on how much any partner earned

If all you could find was a low income job you might also qualify for FIS

Thanks John. I presume there are websites with more info on this?

And before anyone says it, I know, Google is my friend...

I think the only way you could ensure your mortgage was paid would be to take redundancy insurance. It's expensive though, and notoriously hard to claim on.

Disclaimer: This is not financial advice!

Whilst we're being sensible, anyone got any experience of private 'sickness' insurance as opposed to PHC or the othe usual private products?

In fact is there such a thing?

Have you considered looking into redundancy protection insurance?

Yes my cousin is an Insurance Broker (black sheep of the family) and says it's not worth the premium for the cover it offers. It only covers a % of the mortgage and only for a short time, is very expensive and obviously as I work for a company that has been mentioned in the press recently the chances of them even insuring me are very slim.

No idea. As much as I dislike having to work and would rather win the lottery and retire to a yacht in the Caribbean, I would rather work than take a handout. Much like 99% of people I reckon.

I know, but it is obviously just that it is not your fault you are out of work. Would be better to non-work and get more money than struggle on less by working.

For some people, being employed is a matter of pride, not a question of money.

I don't expect you'd understand that.

I understand it very well - I just don't agree the reason behind this point of view that some have. (Though I can complete appreciate the pride that comes with working hard). In any case, all I am saying that it makes sense to best support oneself or get the best support.

For some people, being employed is a matter of pride, not a question of money.

I don't expect you'd understand that.

I understand it very well - I just don't agree the reason behind this point of view that some have. (Though I can complete appreciate the pride that comes with working hard). In any case, all I am saying that it makes sense to best support oneself or get the best support.

You have a point, I think the Government make it harder for people to get back to work sometimes. Fro some people once you factor in all the benefits they claim it becomes impossible for them to earn as much by going to work.

For example, and the figures are meaningless, if you can get £100 from the state but only £80 by working why would you want to work. Chances are you are already committed up to the £100 anyway so there is little chance you would be able to work for the £80.

Pride is a wonderful thing to have but it wont keep you warm and fed.

Archived