Unemployment

Mutley

No idea. As much as I dislike having to work and would rather win the lottery and retire to a yacht in the Caribbean, I would rather work than take a handout. Much like 99% of people I reckon.

I know, but it is obviously just that it is not your fault you are out of work. Would be better to non-work and get more money than struggle on less by working.

Just to clarify - I'm not out of work (yet) but there have been serious rumblings at work. Rather than wait for it to happen I'm looking for another job but if the worst should happen I thought I'd ask some questions and get some info.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just to clarify - I'm not out of work (yet) but there have been serious rumblings at work. Rather than wait for it to happen I'm looking for another job but if the worst should happen I thought I'd ask some questions and get some info.

Ah ok, sorry to hear things are like that. Just stress and worry you don't need.

You seem a capable sort, Mutley, the temp agencys still seem to be looking for people, not ideal, but better than the dole and the night shift at Tesco's.

That's a great suggestion, Declan.

About not signing on, Mutley, do sign on. After leaving a job to nurse family members in times of their need, I never did so because I didn't know zip about social services, credits, or whatever. Or that that was what one should do.

Your pension rights - and others maybe? - may also be seriously affected. Take it from one who knows. I get less than someone who's never worked and sat on their rear end breeding for forty years! :-(

Have you considered looking into redundancy protection insurance?

Yes my cousin is an Insurance Broker (black sheep of the family) and says it's not worth the premium for the cover it offers. It only covers a % of the mortgage and only for a short time, is very expensive and obviously as I work for a company that has been mentioned in the press recently the chances of them even insuring me are very slim.

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa... although I am whiter than white...lol

Sorry to read about the worry over job security. Could you get into discussions with management about switching from being an employee to a contractor? I understand its cheaper for the company (saves on NI I believe). I think the significant characteristics of a contractor (as far as the Treasury are concerned) are that the contractor has to propose the hours/days worked on his own letterhead paper, be responsible for arranging alternate cover when the contractor can't keep his obligations, pay his own NI contributions, and have a contract of nine months or less (which the contractor then proposes again on expiry). You might of course find its more complicated than that.. maybe someone who already is a contractor can explain it better.

Have you considered looking into redundancy protection insurance?

The very fact that your looking for it now when you have already taken out your mortgage or loan will disqualify you from ever claiming on it. The claims dept will just come back to you if you make a claim and state that you must have reasonably expected to lose your job as you took the cover out after having the debt. As Slim says these policies are usually terrible to claim against - unless you took out the cover with a new loan or mortgage and were advised to do so (ie, you didn't decide yourself that you needed it) you might as well set fire to the premium you pay each month as you'll never get a claim approved.

There is a lot more job losses to come also.

Good luck to anyone in this situation as it must be everyones nightmare unless ur a lazy b@stard sad on the dole.

No I subscribe to the official government line that everything is fine and that the Isle of Man is not going to be affected like everywhere else, and that jobs are still plentiful and that anyone who is worried about the Islands economic miracle coming to an end is clearly mad and should be immediately locked up for heresy as this is the Isle of Man and the normal rules of business and economics simply don't exist.

;)

For some people, being employed is a matter of pride, not a question of money.

I don't expect you'd understand that.

I understand it very well - I just don't agree the reason behind this point of view that some have. (Though I can complete appreciate the pride that comes with working hard). In any case, all I am saying that it makes sense to best support oneself or get the best support.

You have a point, I think the Government make it harder for people to get back to work sometimes. Fro some people once you factor in all the benefits they claim it becomes impossible for them to earn as much by going to work.

For example, and the figures are meaningless, if you can get £100 from the state but only £80 by working why would you want to work. Chances are you are already committed up to the £100 anyway so there is little chance you would be able to work for the £80.

Pride is a wonderful thing to have but it wont keep you warm and fed.

Just wondering (I have been for a while) if anyone has taken up your invitation to cut and paste your bunny "signature" into their own for world domination. Just that I've not seen it anywhere else. Is it a doomed experiment?

Could you get into discussions with management about switching from being an employee to a contractor? I understand its cheaper for the company (saves on NI I believe).

Would be a good idea but assumes the company will still be around in a couple of months. Which it probably won't be for various reasons.

House is up for sale and keeping one eye on the job market. Mostly keeping my head down at work, working hard and hoping it passes us by. So are the other 50 staff and their families.

Could you get into discussions with management about switching from being an employee to a contractor? I understand its cheaper for the company (saves on NI I believe).

Would be a good idea but assumes the company will still be around in a couple of months. Which it probably won't be for various reasons.

House is up for sale and keeping one eye on the job market. Mostly keeping my head down at work, working hard and hoping it passes us by. So are the other 50 staff and their families.

So does that mean you are applying for stuff now, just in case? It seems as if you a sure it will go under.

So does that mean you are applying for stuff now, just in case? It seems as if you a sure it will go under.

Haven't applied for anything as there's been nothing in my line of work on the horizon yet. No I'm not sure it's a goner but certainly looking that way. A lot of hard work from a lot of dedicated people over the years will be wasted if it does. I hope it doesn't happen. Trying to be realistic rather than pessimistic though. Lots of others in a worse position than me - young kids etc.

Archived