Manx Radio On Iphone

Stavros

Heard about this on the radio this morning and downloaded it on the Iphone (£0.59) and the App is 'Internet Radio Box' which wasn't quite clear tbh and I was wondering if I was downloading the right one as there appear to be several with similar type names.

http://www.manxradio.com/newsread.aspx?id=37418

Manx Radio is now available on the Apple iphone.

The station can be heard by downloading an application, Radio Box, onto the device, for a small fee.

Manx Radio's controller of programming and content Marc Tyley says it's important radio stations are available in as many ways as possible, so they can reach the maximum number of listeners.

It's news to me but then I hardly have any applications on my Iphone, something to do with me being cheap and it's on Manx Radio's News section and I've posted it in Local News so I guess it must be news. Old news to you but still it's news to me.

What is the legal\licensing stance if people re-broadcast a publicly available Internet stream or even a traditional radio transmission over the Internet, given it is essentially free anyway? Purely out of interest.

It's news to me but then I hardly have any applications on my Iphone, something to do with me being cheap and it's on Manx Radio's News section and I've posted it in Local News so I guess it must be news. Old news to you but still it's news to me.

The criticism was of MR not yourself. A perfectly valid subject for a thread here, but a story on MR?

Is this news? I use an ap called Wunder Radio and have done for ages that makes MR available.

Interface on the Radio Box is better though.

What is the legal\licensing stance if people re-broadcast a publicly available Internet stream or even a traditional radio transmission over the Internet, given it is essentially free anyway? Purely out of interest.

That’s an interesting question. I would have thought that there would be no repercussion or licensing issue to this. Although I believe the PRS would disagree considering they want every business, over 4 members of staff I believe, to have a licence to listen to the radio.

I suppose it would depend on what you mean by re-broadcast. If you were to just listen to a recording of the original broadcast in its original state amongst a group of friends then that would be classed as fair usage I would imagine. However if you were to record a broadcast and then stream the recording over the internet you maybe on shaky ground with regards to licensing.

DRM and copyright is a subject I am interested in but the murky legal jargon makes very difficult to have a true grasp of.

Seeing how I am not a lawyer, my opinion may not be worth reading. :lol: But I would have expected it to be a copyright infringement if someone who hadn't been authorised by the copyright holder began re broadcasting someone else's work (e.g. a radio or tv station output). However if manx radio is already putting a stream on the internet without subscription or encryption then I can't imagine the iphone program (or any other internet software designed for listening to/viewing content) is going to result in lawyers being set upon you.

The PRS angle is something I hadn't thought about previously, but that's not an issue specific to iphones or even internet streaming.

The ap is just a means of accessing the stream - just like a web browser. Manx Radio will have a deal with PRS and whoever else is relevent to stream on-line, just like they do to broadcast over the airwaves.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived